ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M32 and X32  (Read 15998 times)

David Hoover

M32 and X32
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »

So here is what I have been looking at that I was wondering about:

I have been looking at reviews and apparently the new Midas M32 has real Midas Pro Series preamps and faders whereas the Behringer X32 does not.  That is awesome especially at $4999 price point for the Midas. 

So now does that mean we know for sure that the Behringer only has Midas inspired preamps and not real Midas preamps?

Has anyone used both of these consoles and is there a significant difference in preamp quality between the two?  I would think there is, but it is so new that I don't know anyone that has compared them.  I like having "Midas" on there and a little more sound quality if that really is the case.

Thanks!!!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: M32 and X32
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »

So here is what I have been looking at that I was wondering about:

I have been looking at reviews and apparently the new Midas M32 has real Midas Pro Series preamps and faders whereas the Behringer X32 does not.  That is awesome especially at $4999 price point for the Midas. 

So now does that mean we know for sure that the Behringer only has Midas inspired preamps and not real Midas preamps?

Has anyone used both of these consoles and is there a significant difference in preamp quality between the two?  I would think there is, but it is so new that I don't know anyone that has compared them.  I like having "Midas" on there and a little more sound quality if that really is the case.

Thanks!!!

First, there can be no comparison because the M32 doesn't exist yet. Second, read the forums. There has be endless speculation about this exact subject almost continuously for the past 6 months.

Mac

David Hoover

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »

First, there can be no comparison because the M32 doesn't exist yet. Second, read the forums. There has be endless speculation about this exact subject almost continuously for the past 6 months.

Mac

Oh, wow.  I didn't realize that is wasn't out yet.  That makes sense why I couldn't find anything pertaining to that!  Thanks.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:30 PM »

Oh, wow.  I didn't realize that is wasn't out yet.  That makes sense why I couldn't find anything pertaining to that!  Thanks.
As far as i know and been told all the design is by midas, not midas parts ,the software is similar.
 According to the presentation at the Namm demo the m32 will have midas preamps and midas pro series faders, thats what they're saying.
But as Mac said they're not out yet, only accepting preorders
here's a link,  kind of a flyover but, heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3zIzB3ZcYM
 its real purdy also ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:23:06 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »

Has anyone used both of these consoles and is there a significant difference in preamp quality between the two?  I would think there is, but it is so new that I don't know anyone that has compared them.

Modern electronics being what they are, designing a near-"ideal" (low noise, low distortion, flat frequency response) preamp at reasonable cost has been a trivial exercise for a couple of decades now. Some sound better than others when overloaded (Midas in particular has a rep for overloading gracefully), but why would you overload your preamps in the first place?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Don Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »

I've been using an X32 3-5 times / month  for 2 years now and this summer I used a Midas Pro1 digital twice.
The X32 sounds fine compared to the Pro1. Also the 2 PRO-1's  I've used have both locked up rather nastily during performances, and take forever to reboot compared to the X32. The X32 I use ( and have really been beating on ) has locked up once in 2 years. Unless the Midas has a very important feature you cannot live without, I wouldn't bother.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

I've been using an X32 3-5 times / month  for 2 years now and this summer I used a Midas Pro1 digital twice.
The X32 sounds fine compared to the Pro1. Also the 2 PRO-1's  I've used have both locked up rather nastily during performances, and take forever to reboot compared to the X32. The X32 I use ( and have really been beating on ) has locked up once in 2 years. Unless the Midas has a very important feature you cannot live without, I wouldn't bother.
The M32, even if it is more "Midas-ey" than the X32 is surely much closer in function to the X32 than any Pro series.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or will cause brain damage, but there's a 26-page thread about the M32 on Soundforums.net: https://soundforums.net/threads/9126-New-Midas-M32-Console

David Hoover

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »

The M32, even if it is more "Midas-ey" than the X32 is surely much closer in function to the X32 than any Pro series.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or will cause brain damage, but there's a 26-page thread about the M32 on Soundforums.net: https://soundforums.net/threads/9126-New-Midas-M32-Console

Thanks everyone!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

X32 is Behringer, Pro1 on up are Midas.  M32 is the odd bedfellow between the top and the bottom.  To me, the M32 is what the X32 fanboys think their console is 😄
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »

X32 is Behringer, Pro1 on up are Midas.  M32 is the odd bedfellow between the top and the bottom.  To me, the M32 is what the X32 fanboys think their console is

somebody said it ;)
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.