ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: good replacement for phonic ia231f  (Read 6530 times)

keith j abbott

good replacement for phonic ia231f
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:31:01 AM »

Hi All,

We're looking for a good replacement for our phonic ia231f.

We're remodelling our auditorium and upgrading our sound system. Currently the room sounds a little boomy.

I like 2-channel 31-band with the feedback detection that the ia231f has, but one channel has died and the bass bypass has died.

We want to keep it under $300 if we can. I've looked at
dbx231s
Peavey Q231FX
ART HQ231 (high)
Rane DEQ 60L

I've heard some people say the behringers are noisy...

Does anyone have any suggestions?
thx

Adam Greene

Re: good replacement for phonic ia231f
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »

Hi All,

We're looking for a good replacement for our phonic ia231f.

We're remodelling our auditorium and upgrading our sound system. Currently the room sounds a little boomy.

I like 2-channel 31-band with the feedback detection that the ia231f has, but one channel has died and the bass bypass has died.

We want to keep it under $300 if we can. I've looked at
dbx231s
Peavey Q231FX
ART HQ231 (high)
Rane DEQ 60L

I've heard some people say the behringers are noisy...

Does anyone have any suggestions?
thx

The Rane is probably the highest quality, followed by the DBX.  Unless I'm mistaken, neither one of these have auto feedback detection.  You would be hard pressed to find the Rane within your budget - even used.  If I had to choose and really needed the feedback detection - I'd go with the Peavey.  I believe they were the originators of the feedback detection circuit.  I could be wrong about that too.  I personally have not had good luck with ART.  I would get a Behringer before ART.  IMHO. 

keith j abbott

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »

Thanks for the input Adam. Does anyone else want to weigh in?
k

The Rane is probably the highest quality, followed by the DBX.  Unless I'm mistaken, neither one of these have auto feedback detection.  You would be hard pressed to find the Rane within your budget - even used.  If I had to choose and really needed the feedback detection - I'd go with the Peavey.  I believe they were the originators of the feedback detection circuit.  I could be wrong about that too.  I personally have not had good luck with ART.  I would get a Behringer before ART.  IMHO.

keith j abbott

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

I took a look at the Peavys and only the 15-band seemed to have the feedback indicators...

Looks like I'll have to drop that requirement since I wish to avoid the behringers and ARTs for getting bad press in places.

I'm not eliminating other brands yet, but if I were leaning toward the DBXs I see that it looks like I could pick up a 231 on ebay for around $200, but it looks like I could get a 1231 for just under $300 (or maybe slightly more with shipping). The question is, does anyone think its worth the extra money?

Basically, we will be using a GL2400 mixer, crown amps, peavy speakers. Auditorium size 50x50 with everything arranged on the corners (baseball diamond with pastor at home plate). We'll use a spectrum analyzer for the initial equalization and after we have it tweaked we probably wont touch it.  Church services are traditional....

Thanks for the input...

keith j abbott

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »

my mistake - just looked at the Peavey q231 and q431s - dont know how I missed them before...

Adam Greene

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:51:16 AM »

my mistake - just looked at the Peavey q231 and q431s - dont know how I missed them before...

I had the original Peavey FLS 31 band mono EQ several years back and it worked very well. It seemed to pinpoint resonance frequencies quite well. I'm sure most pro's would tell you to go with the highest quality unit you could afford. Forget the FLS and learn to do it by ear.  Being a part time volunteer however, I'm looking for tools that will save time. Most would also argue against feedback eliminators. But I use one on Pastors countryman wireless because he loves to walk into the audience. The other channel I use on the main mix as a 12 band parametric eq instead of live feedback filters which can be quite destructive to the sound. I use the first 6 bands as very narrow notch filters at the feedback frequencies. The last 6 I use for tone shaping.  Narrow notch filters can go as low as 1/60th of an octave vs. 1/3 of an octave on a 31 band GEQ. Works well for us.

keith j abbott

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the input. Im in a similar position: volunteer, with only the knowledge Ive learned on my own plus a background in electronics, and worst of all, no ear.

I had considered parametric as well, but dont think I have the experience or expertise to do a good set - plus, of course, the higher pricetag is rather out of our range.

So I am looking for tools to compensate. But at the same time, I dont want to downgrade the overall quality significantly for one feature that maybe I could do without. Would I be doing that by going with the peavey over the DBX? Those are pretty much my choices currently barring additional input...

I'm still hoping for some input about whether the extra $120 is worth it to go with a used dbx1231 vs the 231.

I had the original Peavey FLS 31 band mono EQ several years back and it worked very well. It seemed to pinpoint resonance frequencies quite well. I'm sure most pro's would tell you to go with the highest quality unit you could afford. Forget the FLS and learn to do it by ear.  Being a part time volunteer however, I'm looking for tools that will save time. Most would also argue against feedback eliminators. But I use one on Pastors countryman wireless because he loves to walk into the audience. The other channel I use on the main mix as a 12 band parametric eq instead of live feedback filters which can be quite destructive to the sound. I use the first 6 bands as very narrow notch filters at the feedback frequencies. The last 6 I use for tone shaping.  Narrow notch filters can go as low as 1/60th of an octave vs. 1/3 of an octave on a 31 band GEQ. Works well for us.

Adam Greene

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the input. Im in a similar position: volunteer, with only the knowledge Ive learned on my own plus a background in electronics, and worst of all, no ear.

I had considered parametric as well, but dont think I have the experience or expertise to do a good set - plus, of course, the higher pricetag is rather out of our range.

So I am looking for tools to compensate. But at the same time, I dont want to downgrade the overall quality significantly for one feature that maybe I could do without. Would I be doing that by going with the peavey over the DBX? Those are pretty much my choices currently barring additional input...

I'm still hoping for some input about whether the extra $120 is worth it to go with a used dbx1231 vs the 231.

I currently use a DBX driverack 260 in my personal live sound rig. The quality is excellent. As far as analog eq's go, it's hard to beat DBX in the price range. However I think the Peavey is just about as good with the added bonus of FLS. Others may disagree, but in your situation, I like the Peavey. Not sure why other haven't chimed in, but I'm sure they will.

David Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »

I have the Peavey Q231F and it has worked well for me. I do have to remember that it is not a feedback destroyer, just a feedback locator. The lights above the sliders show what frequencies are active, and feedback is supposed to make the light glow brighter. So it is useful as a frequency identification training device. It is also a decent 31 band graphic eq.

I deal with a lot of people speaking at distances up to 10/15 feet from the mic, and the FLS doesnt show those signals well.

keith j abbott

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »

Thanks for the input David.

I like that it has detection only. I would be concerned about having it in the drivers seat. I'd rather see where the problems are than to have the EQ try to hide them from me...

k
I have the Peavey Q231F and it has worked well for me. I do have to remember that it is not a feedback destroyer, just a feedback locator. The lights above the sliders show what frequencies are active, and feedback is supposed to make the light glow brighter. So it is useful as a frequency identification training device. It is also a decent 31 band graphic eq.

I deal with a lot of people speaking at distances up to 10/15 feet from the mic, and the FLS doesnt show those signals well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 25 queries.