ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy feedback problems - need advice  (Read 12400 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Crazy feedback problems - need advice
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »

No argument from me........

The sensitivity as you mentioned is basically setting the stage for the body pack. You will need makeup gain at some point. I have found that instead of trying to get the input level meter on the body pack to read unity, it works just as well to leave the gain low and use the channel strip HA to make the gain up. A little more noise, but in some instances it can help increase GBF ( all things being equal at the channel strip input meter ). There usually seems to be a break even point. With some experimentation you can find it. I recently had a play I did sound for that had 14 lapel mics in use at one time. It was hell to make it work, but it can be done. Here is the kicker. The speakers were in line with the front of the performance area and it was done in a warehouse with only two mains to cover the listening area. It was far from ideal, not fun and really made me work. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »

No argument from me........

it works just as well to leave the gain low and use the channel strip HA to make the gain up. A little more noise, but in some instances it can help increase GBF

No, turning down the body pack 3db and then turning up the HA 3db is a zero db change. It has no effect on gain before feedback. Do the math.
Gain is gain. A bad gain structure can be noisier but it doesn't change GBF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

No, turning down the body pack 3db and then turning up the HA 3db is a zero db change. It has no effect on gain before feedback. Do the math.
Gain is gain. A bad gain structure can be noisier but it doesn't change GBF.

If changing the gain structure DOES alter the GBF, there are a few reasons this can happen:
  • if one or more gain stages is clipping (a hallmark of poor gain structure)
  • if one or more of your gain stages does not operate on all frequencies equally (a hallmark of  poor design)
  • if a wireless transmitter's compressor does not match the receiver's expander (another hallmark of poor design and why you shouldn't mix brands of transmitter and receiver, even if they do use the same frequency)
If you are using good equipment that's not driven to clipping, changing gain anywhere in the chain should not change your apparent GBF.

FYI, wireless devices often use compression & expansion to overcome the dynamic range (difference between noise floor and clipping) limitations of the radio link.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:22:21 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.