ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio System Help!  (Read 7863 times)

Ambrose Holcomb

Audio System Help!
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »

Hey Everyone!
Im looking at adding more speakers to my current DJ Rig, and I want to know your opinion on the TOA HX-5 VDS System. Currently I have 2 EV ZLX-12P's and a Harbinger HPX118S-BBE that I use (Alongside some retired Phonic speakers and some super old Acoustic Lab Technologies speakers) and I absolutely love the sound quality and power of the EV's. But does anyone know anything about the driver size (Im assuming 5" Mids), Sound Quality, or anything else about the HX-5's? Usually I perform in front of 100-300 people in medium sized rooms, and its bass heavy electronic music (Dont worry about the low end, I rent subs and usually set the crossover to 80-100hz). ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:19:41 PM by Ambrose Holcomb »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Audio System Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:22:47 PM »

Hey Everyone! New to the forum as of today, but I have a question for some of you audio people.
I'm a professional DJ and I know a fair about about Audio and speakers and a ton about lighting and production and such, but I was wondering about your opinions on the TOA HX-5 system? I get that it's not super powerful but I want to know about the sound quality output of the speakers. Right now my setup is 2 Electro-Voice ZLX-12p's and a Harbinger HPX118S-BBE sub (Alongside some horrendous Phonic and white van speakers that I never use). I love the sound quality of my EV's and I was thinking about adding the HX-5 to my audio arsenal but I want to know how well they do with quality and power. If anyone has any advice or any similar priced systems they recommend please do let me know!  :)
Ambrose, welcome aboard! First of all, this topic may be better suited in the Lab Lounge-- the "Classic LAB" is generally "the big boys," touring people, regionals, guys who mix Bands You've Heard Of, and so on...

So to start out your discussion, though... what are your goals? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish with a system upgrade? Where are your EVs lacking at this time? Are there larger events that you are planning on bidding on that these TOA boxes would be used for? Or are you just thinking "damn, that would be sick to own!" Would they be ground stacked or flown? If flown, do you have the back end logistics to accomplish that effectively and (more important) safely?

Some thoughts to get you started...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ambrose Holcomb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »

Ambrose, welcome aboard! First of all, this topic may be better suited in the Lab Lounge-- the "Classic LAB" is generally "the big boys," touring people, regionals, guys who mix Bands You've Heard Of, and so on...

So to start out your discussion, though... what are your goals? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish with a system upgrade? Where are your EVs lacking at this time? Are there larger events that you are planning on bidding on that these TOA boxes would be used for? Or are you just thinking "damn, that would be sick to own!" Would they be ground stacked or flown? If flown, do you have the back end logistics to accomplish that effectively and (more important) safely?

Some thoughts to get you started...

-Ray

Sorry Ray, I'll make note of that for next time.

I ended up completely retyping my thread a few minutes ago and adding more useful information (Hopefully). I'm trying to upgrade so I can do bigger events and more powerful sound when I need it (Nothing more embarrassing than someone asking you to turn it up when you're already redlining everywhere). I'm also trying to add more sound with the clarity of my current speakers, for a lower price and more professional look. They would be flown in most scenarios and I sort of have the back end to accomplish it effectively. It's my first time getting into line arrays for my own use and I know how the system works, just not what specific amps and such I need for these. But safely rigging them, yes I do have the capability and knowledge to do that. (Thank you for the fast response!)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »

Ambrose, I have not used or heard the speakers in question. However, looking solely at the spec sheets, 200 watts program power rating at 99dB/1w/1m, the maximum SPL (ignoring power compression) is not going to be much different than the spec sheet's max 126 dB SPL for your EVs. Thus, if you need more SPL for your gigs, I don't think the TOA speakers you are considering will meet your needs.  YMMV; spec sheets don't tell the whole story; spec sheet numbers may not mean what they seem to imply. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ambrose Holcomb

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:52 AM »

Ambrose, I have not used or heard the speakers in question. However, looking solely at the spec sheets, 200 watts program power rating at 99dB/1w/1m, the maximum SPL (ignoring power compression) is not going to be much different than the spec sheet's max 126 dB SPL for your EVs. Thus, if you need more SPL for your gigs, I don't think the TOA speakers you are considering will meet your needs.  YMMV; spec sheets don't tell the whole story; spec sheet numbers may not mean what they seem to imply. Mark C.

Thank you. Would you happen to know of any similar type units for roughly the same price? I'm also not looking to replace my EV's. Just to add to them for a reasonable price.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »

Thank you. Would you happen to know of any similar type units for roughly the same price? I'm also not looking to replace my EV's. Just to add to them for a reasonable price.

Adding on to your EVs with a different speaker may not get you the results you hoped. One higher powered speaker will sound better than mixing two lower powered ones. Others will surely chime in who can explain it better than me.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

When you start "adding different speakers" you can end up with some unexpected results.

Yes it may be louder-but the different phase response will produce holes in the response-so it will not sound as good.

It is FAR better to use a single high output speaker-rather than mutliple lower output ones.

As a wise man told me years ago-"it is far better to use less quality gear than to use a lot of cheap shit.  All you end up with is louder sounding shit".

I am not referring to your cabinet in particular-this comment was based on when I was trying to use cheap EV HF drivers (1829) instead of more expensive JBL drivers on my rig.

He was right.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »

this comment was based on when I was trying to use cheap EV HF drivers (1829)

I didn't think you were that old!!

Steve.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:31:26 AM by Steve M Smith »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »

I diddn't think you were that old!!

Steve.

HA!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ambrose Holcomb

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

When you start "adding different speakers" you can end up with some unexpected results.

Yes it may be louder-but the different phase response will produce holes in the response-so it will not sound as good.

It is FAR better to use a single high output speaker-rather than mutliple lower output ones.

As a wise man told me years ago-"it is far better to use less quality gear than to use a lot of cheap shit.  All you end up with is louder sounding shit".

I am not referring to your cabinet in particular-this comment was based on when I was trying to use cheap EV HF drivers (1829) instead of more expensive JBL drivers on my rig.

He was right.

Alright Guys, thank you all so much.
So you're saying I should look at adding more EV's to get louder sound and maintain the level of sound quality (Among a bohemoth of other things)?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.