ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch for 3-phase power  (Read 6133 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Switch for 3-phase power
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:15 AM »

you can buy "disconnect switches" at electrical supply houses.  tell them its for indoor and you want a "Type 1". look at the circut breaker in the panel that those transformers are connected and use a disconnect thats the same amperage or higher that the breaker has. use a non fused disconnect. a non fused disconnect switch will not have fuses. tell them you need a 4 wire disconnect. 3 hot wires and 1 ground wire. heres 2 fotos of non fused disconnect switches. hire an electrician to do the job. i am a commercial journeyman electrician.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:03:10 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »

And just to throw this out there, I don’t really care if it meets code or is dangerous (3-gang knife-blade switch, anyone?).  I want to look at all options before presenting anything to the powers that be.

Any help is appreciated.

Working with this kind of power with this attitude is a really good way to end up in a burn unit or worse.
Steve Swaffer

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »

Working with this kind of power with this attitude is a really good way to end up in a burn unit or worse.
+1 and thats why i told him to hire an electrician to do the job. its not just burning a place down its people lives you endanger by doing sh^&&* work.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »

Did I say I would use an unsafe solution?  No, I was just asking for suggestions.  Sometimes a half-assed or unsafe suggestion will lead to a discussion or idea which may have never been brought up otherwise.

We ended up with a 3-pole disconnect similar to what Tom referenced.  Thanks to everyone for your input!
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »

My day job is an electrician,and industrial is where I am most comfortable.  On Ebay, I have purchased brand new switches that would have worked for your application for a 10th of the original cost  you mentioned.  But I have been known to walk away from paying customers who show no interest in having a safe installation.  Why would I (or anyone) throw out a potentially unsafe idea that someone might act on-even if you would not?  Or why would I want to chance that a code compliant switch that I suggest would be installed improperly?

I am not trying to be unkind, but the implication was that you wanted the cheapest solution, regardless of safety.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.