ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite chair for gigs?  (Read 8945 times)

Sammy Barr

Re: Your favorite chair for gigs?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »

I've been using one very similar to this for that last two or three years. It's perfect. Bar height, lightweight, strong, folds up to almost nothing, and convenient storage and little side table. When the one I have dies, I will be buying another one just like it.
http://bigdealsdirectonline.com/earth-executive-vip-tall-directors-chair-20140604161214

I have this chair, works great.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »

Strange thread being that I had given great thought to buying a couple of chairs for all purpose use. I have a number of stools that are padded, etc., but none that are really comfortable. I've finally decided on a quality drummers throne with motorcycle type seat that folds compactly, swivel's, and has air cushion height adjustments. In my world no arms is good making this a seat I can use both on stage and behind the desk.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 02:08:40 PM »

Strange thread being that I had given great thought to buying a couple of chairs for all purpose use. I have a number of stools that are padded, etc., but none that are really comfortable. I've finally decided on a quality drummers throne with motorcycle type seat that folds compactly, swivel's, and has air cushion height adjustments. In my world no arms is good making this a seat I can use both on stage and behind the desk.

I have seen several like this that looked good.

In my full-time gig as a teacher and chemist, we work at counter height lab benches all the time. It is a larger investment but lab grade version of drafting stools can be great, comfortable and far more durable than the Office Depot/ Staples brands.

I have found that the key to my comfort in any stool (where I can't put my feet flat on the ground) is the foot rest. It has to be high enough to take the pressure off the back of my legs when seated and large enough that the pressure is not on a single point on my feet. I do not like round bar type footrests.

At school I set up a standing height desk. Just like mixing it helps to see out over the room. There is a lot to be said for standing. At a longer show or festival I would prefer to stand when the action is happening and sit during breaks in the action, like I do at school. Which of course leads to the topic of anti fatigue mats as well.
Jay Barracato

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »

Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Chris Eddison

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »

It's uncanny how a thread turns up just when you're thinking about something.
I too am looking for a new chair at Front Of House. My work is mainly theatre, so I'm sat there for an hour and a half at a time without a chance to move. Depending on the show i'll sometimes stand, or maybe stand for musical numbers and sit for spoken word. Up until now I've taken a tall computer chair with me, but I'm looking for something that takes up less van real estate.

I'd wondered about these as more of a "perch" than a seat;
http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_st90.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_14047_multi_purpose_stool.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_stehhilfe.htm

But if you're feeling really flash (or if your mix is so bad that you need a quick getaway), you could get yourselves one of these;
http://www.motoart.com/products/bars/f-4-ejection-bar-stool
http://www.motoart.com/products/seating/chairs/b-52-ejection-chair

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »

If you have the coin and the truck space, this is the chair to get.

http://www.ergolab.com/product_p/m120s.htm

It can be set so that it operates like a regular hydraulic chair, or so either or both the back and the seat follow you and support your back as you lean forward.  It has saved my back on more than one gig.

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 05:14:20 PM »

I use and reommend the "Franklin" bar stool from IKEA.  There are two models: 25" and 29" seat height.  Folds for transport, has a foot rest and lets you sit and stand at the same time, so to speak.  I use the taller of the two.

I bought several a number of years ago and paid less than $20/each.  Now they list for $35.

This was very helpful.  I have been in the hunt for a good board-level chair.  I happened to be staying in Bloomington, MN over the weekend a stone's throw away from IKEA by the MOA.  I was sitting in my hotel room when I read this post.  I went right over and bought one of these  ;D  I will call her Destiny...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

This was very helpful.  I have been in the hunt for a good board-level chair.  I happened to be staying in Bloomington, MN over the weekend a stone's throw away from IKEA by the MOA.  I was sitting in my hotel room when I read this post.  I went right over and bought one of these  ;D  I will call her Destiny...

My back won't take any padded seats at all.  This is the best I've found and easy to pack and transport.  Cheap, too.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »

My back won't take any padded seats at all.  This is the best I've found and easy to pack and transport.  Cheap, too.

Looks pretty nice, but how sturdy is it? I'm a pretty big guy and the pic doesn't inspire confidence... I do like the height and that if folds.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »

Looks pretty nice, but how sturdy is it? I'm a pretty big guy and the pic doesn't inspire confidence... I do like the height and that if folds.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

They had them set up all over the store for the employees to use at the computer stations.  They felt pretty sturdy although I have yet to assemble mine and put it to work.  I'm 6'0" ~200 lbs and I would not be afraid of it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.