ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member here , could use some help  (Read 3390 times)

Brian Simmons

New member here , could use some help
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »

Hi , Im a new member, been lurking here for a few weeks. I love this forum , its such a great wealth of knowledge !
My background in music is a former bass player and now recording studio owner , been recording bands for 8 years and have decided to expand my business to live sound. I mainly record rock/metal music and I expect most of my future clients to be in the same type genre.  After doing lots of research , I decided to go with the jbl SRX725 + 728 combo. For the type music im doing , it seemed like the best option. Now my major delima is power. I orginally thought of just going with (4) xti4000 and bridging (2) on the subs and biamping the tops with the other (2) but , the more I read , the more I dont
want to go with the xti's.My plan is to set the system up to run aux subs and biamp the tops. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find the best option. Ive only budgeted about $3k for amps. It would seem the I-tech would work but ,  biamping the tops would require 2 amps and then a third amp for the subs. Thats way out of my budget if I went I-tech. Is there an alternative ? If I biamp the tops could I get away with only 1200 watts for the mids on the 725's ?  I have done some searching and I know this topic is probably getting old but any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
Re: New member here , could use some help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:26:11 AM »

Use Itechs but don't biamp the tops.

There's a lot of consensus that the passive crossovers in the SRX line are good enough that it's often not worth it to biamp. I say get as much Itech as you can within your budget (you may be able to grab a pair of 6000s for what you have) and go with it. If you really feel the need to biamp (which you can try at any time) you can always grab a 4000 later.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »

Do you have any other speaker processing or were you relying on the DSP in the XTi amps for the crossover, EQ, delay, etc.?  That could limit the potential options.

While there are advantages to using the same amp throughout the system, you might want to consider using different models in the same series.  It looks like you could get an XTi 6000 for the LF and an XTi 1000 for the HF of the SRX725 for possibly a little less than two XTi 4000s.  The difference between an XTi 4000 and XTi 6000 on the LF is about 2.4dB, so you can decide if that difference is worth the extra cost of an XTi 6000 versus 4000.

As Duncan suggested, running passive for the SRX725 is also an option and would simplify wiring and setup.

I'm not sure why you feel the XTIs are way out of your $3k budget.  With the new XTi2 series amps coming out it looks like there are some decent prices available right now on existing stock of the XTi series.  Four XTi 4000 amps for around $3,200 or two XTI 4000s, an XTi 6000 and an XTI 1000 for around $3160 seems just a little bit over your budget and you might be able to get them in budget if you shop around.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
or used
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »

I'm not sure why you feel the XTIs are way out of your $3k budget.  With the new XTi2 series amps coming out it looks like there are some decent prices available right now on existing stock of the XTi series.  Four XTi 4000 amps for around $3,200 or two XTI 4000s, an XTi 6000 and an XTI 1000 for around $3160 seems just a little bit over your budget and you might be able to get them in budget if you shop around.

There are amps for sale right here in the Marketplace.

Mac

Dan Johnson

• Classic LAB
  • Memphis, TN
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »

I'm not sure why you feel the XTIs are way out of your $3k budget.
I got the impression that he doesn't want XTIs because of something he read about them on here or other sites, not because he thought they were out of his budget.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:54:11 PM »

I got the impression that he doesn't want XTIs because of something he read about them on here or other sites, not because he thought they were out of his budget.
Thanks, I misread that.  But with a $3,000 total budget for amps with integrated DSP the XTI series may be the best option, at least for new gear.  If the system used separate processor then that would open up more amp options but probably also reduce the budget.

Brian Simmons

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »

Thanks for the input all !  The xti's are within my budget , the IT's dont seem to be if I want to bi-amp. I have been turned off of using xti's mainly because of what I have read on here about using them on sub duty and , I dont want to mix and match amps because of the latency of the xti's.  I dont have any external processing yet but would be open to that option also.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »

Brian,
You don't need to biamp 725s, it's that simple. You can also reach peak output using a QSC 3602 or amp similar to it. Although I no longer use 728s, I am still using 718s in pairs, and have found that a QSC 4050HD is a great amp for use with either two (2) pairs of 718s or two (2) each 728s running in stereo mode. That's the way I run them, and have run them for quite some time, but that's me and others may have thier own oppinions. YMMV. ;D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Simmons

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »

Thanks Bob ,  Is the 4050HD really enough to power (2) 728's ?  I own (2) QSC rmx 2450's and used to think I would use those for the subs bridged but , have read they are not stable at 4 ohm.They are really cheap though. I wonder how well they would run at 8 ohm bridge (2) amps per sub in discreet mode ?  I guess the power draw would kill that option  huh ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.