ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback show - need dance or similar track suggestions  (Read 1911 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Playback show - need dance or similar track suggestions
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »

I have a playback only show with an unusual audience coming up soon and need some suggestions.  Being somewhat older than 19 has put me at something of a disadvantage for this one but there are some other elements to the target audience as well.  This is for a crowd of deaf college students and the spec from the client is " something with a good beat but with NO lyrics"  Lyrics require  a signer and thats not something they want to get into for  this, the show is primarily a light show with enough of a beat for the kids to grab on to.  I was thinking techno - trance type stuff but a few searches on iTunes haven't produced much in the way of something that looks like its going to go over well with the under 120 hz crowd.

Thanks for any suggestions

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Playback show - need dance or similar track suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »

Beatport.com has lots of charts.

Assuming college kids, I'd just go watch the EDC sets (specifically Diplo, Martin Garrix, Dillon Francis) on youtube and have your way with Shazam and iTunes.

Hell, go watch 22 Jump Street and Shazam the soundtrack lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

I have a playback only show with an unusual audience coming up soon and need some suggestions.  Being somewhat older than 19 has put me at something of a disadvantage for this one but there are some other elements to the target audience as well.  This is for a crowd of deaf college students and the spec from the client is " something with a good beat but with NO lyrics"  Lyrics require  a signer and thats not something they want to get into for  this, the show is primarily a light show with enough of a beat for the kids to grab on to.  I was thinking techno - trance type stuff but a few searches on iTunes haven't produced much in the way of something that looks like its going to go over well with the under 120 hz crowd.

Riley, I would follow up with the organizer and see if there are kids with cochlear implants, also using hearing aids.  The implants have gotten rather common and seem to be sensitive to HF.

Movie soundtracks are a good source of instrumental stuff with a lot of energy.  Disney and Pixar hire some of the best composers anywhere.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »

Gareth Emery - "Long Way Home" -- it's new, and has a great beat to it. Radio cut and extended mix both available out there.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »

What Spenser said. Deadmau5, Pretty Lights, Kaskade, and the likes have instrumental tracks.

Deadmau5 example - http://youtu.be/4ky-gventQo

Pretty lights - http://youtu.be/nemNxuc_Bfs (The tron sound track may actually be a good place to look)
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:38:41 AM »

iTunes doesn't give a good representation of the EDM genre, the source is in Beatport. The trend with the EDM genre is in Bigroom Dutch, where the term "Drop the bass" is used. Personally I HATE it but that's what the kids are in to these days. The kids might be put off if you play fast BPM trance tracks like in the 138-140 range. Another genre would be Progressive House, the ones Deadmau5 and Kaskade are in.

Bigroom example: Any Hardwell track
Trance example: try Anry - Rise Up (Original Mix), it was released yesterday as of this post.
Progressive House: Any Deadmau5 / Kaskade track

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »

Riley,
I'm not sure this site will have what you want, but I've used them for many years and the quality / service is high. The best part is having the playback rights if you purchase the track from the. No copyright issue's. I would give them a call and I'm sure they can help you out. If you do purchase material from them in MP3 format make sure you ask for the vocal tracks to be removed.

http://www.midi-hits.com/

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.