ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Independence Day  (Read 4469 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Happy Independence Day
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

But do they kill?  We have mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus.  Two deaths so far this year.  I'm keeping Cutter in business!

http://www.cutterinsectrepellents.com

At my community celebration gig I asked the city parks guys if they had evicted the mosquitoes, as I hadn't seen/heard/felt any.  He said "give them another hour, and your only hope is 100% DEET."  And the city provided it for them... very industrial looking container.

I made it through the gig with 32%.  I was not an entree on the mosquito buffet that night. :)

As of July 1 there are no confirmed West Nile cases in Kansas.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:43:16 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »

We've got Minnesota-sized mosquitoes in Kansas after the last week of rain...

My house sits 50' away from a pond with plenty of stagnant water. I also have a colony of barn swallows (between 80 and 200 nesting pairs each year) nearby.

When I moved there, I lamented the mess the swallows made, until I realized that I had no mosquito problem. Dear swallows, please continue to use the side of my barn as your toilet. ;D
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »

My house sits 50' away from a pond with plenty of stagnant water. I also have a colony of barn swallows (between 80 and 200 nesting pairs each year) nearby.

When I moved there, I lamented the mess the swallows made, until I realized that I had no mosquito problem. Dear swallows, please continue to use the side of my barn as your toilet. ;D

I've got cardinals, who fight with the neighbor's blue jays.  The other birds sit and watch.  I'm thinking "bats... bats eat mosquitoes... yeah, now I need a belfry!"

We have bats in the attic at our PAC downtown.  Every once in a while, one will get lost and exit a spotlight cove into an auditorium.  One night of WICKED it happened right at the top of the show, the audience thought it was part of the EFX.  The stage manager saw it on his video monitor and made a note:  "no bats til end of show".

If you ever get up near Ely, MN, you'll see mosquitoes that have tail number assigned by the FAA.  Trust me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »

I've got cardinals, who fight with the neighbor's blue jays.  The other birds sit and watch.  I'm thinking "bats... bats eat mosquitoes... yeah, now I need a belfry!"

We have bats in the attic at our PAC downtown.  Every once in a while, one will get lost and exit a spotlight cove into an auditorium.  One night of WICKED it happened right at the top of the show, the audience thought it was part of the EFX.  The stage manager saw it on his video monitor and made a note:  "no bats til end of show".

If you ever get up near Ely, MN, you'll see mosquitoes that have tail number assigned by the FAA.  Trust me.
Minnesota - land of 10,000 lakes and 10,000,000,000 mosquitoes.  I live in a fairly sandy part of town, so don't generally get in too much trouble, but we've had a lot of rain this year.  I was doing some yard work in my lilac bushes early Saturday morning, and thought I would skip the bug spray, hoping if I kept moving it wouldn't be a big deal.  I'm now scratching about 40 bites from maybe an hour of work.  Oops.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

I made it through the gig with 32%.  I was not an entree on the mosquito buffet that night. :)

I used to use the 100% DEET when backpacking in the Sierra and so forth and found that, while it works, it doesn't last all that long. Then two years ago I visited the "travel medicine" folks at the local clinic, prior to a trip to Malaysian Borneo, and they INSISTED I use Ultrathon insect repellent (in addition to soaking all my clothes in pyrethrin). It's only 34% DEET but it's in a time release lotion that appears to greatly prolong its effectiveness. And it's made by 3M, which, as has been pointed out here, is in a place where they probably know something about mosquitoes. Try it.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

I use a lot of ultrathon and they just came out with a combo lotion with a sunscreen but there is a lot of positive to be said about a good head net or a complete body suit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.