ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions  (Read 23937 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »

Tape works just fine on the Soundcraft Expression regardless of channel count, regardless of layer. The board is so logically designed through the layers and with fader glow, plus the fact the active channel NAME shows in the display I'll take it for granted remarks regarding the absolute need for channel strips are made by those with little or no experience with these boards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to hold the select button on each channel in order for the channel name to pop up?

I had a unit on demo for 4 or 5 shows and that is how I remember if functioning, not a big deal if your channel count is low but a bit of a nuisance once you get onto the 2nd and 3rd layer of inputs.

Too this day I'm still stuck trying to decide between an Expression 1 or X32C for a small digital board, someday I'll make up my mind.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:09 PM »

Tape works just fine on the Soundcraft Expression regardless of channel count, regardless of layer. The board is so logically designed through the layers and with fader glow, plus the fact the active channel NAME shows in the display I'll take it for granted remarks regarding the absolute need for channel strips are made by those with little or no experience with these boards.

Bob is quite clearly achieving deity level, hell he doesn't even need labels on the knobs and switches anymore.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »

Correct with both replies.

Yes the channel name shows up when the channel is selected, a plus. Perhaps I write or print smaller than most, or maybe familiarity with inputs is more logical in my case, or the in the case of others who feel as I do.

Deity level? Being a humble person I didn't want to bring that to your attention. But if you must...
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »

Bob is quite clearly achieving deity level, hell he doesn't even need labels on the knobs and switches anymore.

Long story long - sorry...
When I first started in the early 80s I wanted a Hill console but just couldn't swing it. Instead I bought an A&H 24x4 and I really liked it. Then I got a gig at 1 of my normal clubs for Burning Spear. It was my first gig for an international artist, I actually met the rider and I love Reggae so I was psyched!  They were touring with a killer band out of Rochester, NY called the Majestics that was providing back-line and they trusted their excellent BE (wish I could remember his name) to handle everything. To the point that Burning Spear, including their own BE, didn't even bother to show up until maybe 20 minutes before they were supposed to be on stage. Went through sound-check (and learned alot!) went through The Majestics set and was blown away by how good my system sounded and then Burning Spear arrived. They took the stage and their BE stepped up on the FOH platform. He didn't acknowledge me at all. They did their show (me on the side-lines but I didn't mind) and when they were done I had to ask their BE what he thought of my A&H console. His very short response was "It is not a Hill!" and then he walked away - only words he said to me the entire gig...
Needless to say I started the search for a Hill the next day and I found a used Hill B series (apparently a prototype for their J series consoles) that I couldn't afford but bought anyway. It was a 24 by 4 like the A&H but only had 3 auxes (opposed to 6), it was twice the size and had actual VU meters that I wasn't used to but I found I loved it very quickly. It had wood side rails, a solid black surface with yellow silk screen and every channel was modular - 2 had 4 band fully parametric EQs and the rest had 4 band EQs with hi and lo shelves and the 2 mid bands were semi-parametric.
Fast forward a couple years and the Hill console is installed in a club where I provided house sound. By then I had a few folks working  for me and I left a gig with a "sort-of National" to one of my guys so I could have the night off. The BE for the national act decided after sound-check to mark "north" on every single knob with a sharpie and then turned it back over to my guy for the opening band. My guy felt bad about the Sharpie and decided to clean the board with Windex before I saw it. He managed to literally strip the silk screen off of the entire console. It was now just a big black panel with a bunch of knobs on it. My brother and I still call it the "stealth" board.
I had used it enough to know what knobs were what (even with the different configs on some channels) so it really didn't bother me but it threw folks who weren't familiar with it for a real loop.
The point to this unfortunately long story is in response to Bob's comment that the knobs on the Si Expression are so logically laid out that scribble strips aren't needed. He is basically right; the knobs themselves are laid out very logically, there really aren't that many of them (certainly compared to an analogue console with similar features) and if you have a clue, it shouldn't take much to learn what they are without labels.
The problem is that you can learn every single knob at an expert level but if you don't know what input that knob affects - who cares? If you tighten a noise gate on a drum when you think you think you are working on a vocal channel, well, that could be a problem...
That is never a problem on an analogue console or a digital console without layers for inputs but it is an issue with most digital consoles, especially if you do multiple band gigs and are not familiar with the bands before sound-check.
Bob; I have followed your posts on this forum for many years and I probably agree with you more often than anyone else here but I just don't agree that digital scribble strips aren't a necessity for most modern digital consoles.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »

The allure of digital is the huge features and channel count in a small package.

The price you pay for this design is that encoders and faders are frequently used for many purposes depending on the layer or menu you currently have selected.

I believe that the scribble strips are massively advantageous.  This becomes doubly true when used in concert with "sends on faders" features.  I really love this combination of features.  I don't believe I could be convinced to do without them again even though I had never had them until 8 months ago.

Of course, I am not a sound man deity like Bob ..... and I need all the help I can get to remember what goes where ;)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »

Down with digital strips, long live tape.

Think about my analog history. Do you guy's think I'll ever say that digital naming strips are something you need?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »

The simple truth is that if you can't handle selecting a channel before you adjust it, you should stick with analog (or perhaps think about a different career).  I can work without scribble strips, but they sure are a nice thing to have.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

I think you've found the answer I've been waiting for. Yes, digital naming is super duper, but there will always be reasons for old school technology. Not having a digital strip is not the end of the world, or is it everyone's need or choice, yet every day you read people stating that is a reason to not buy a desk. I agree with you Scott.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

Some of us are old enough to need reading glasses to see anything on the console, but vain enough not to be caught dead wearing them in public.  One of the reasons when I was dragged out of retirement earlier this year, I bought the same A&H board I used to own.  My guys have seen me with the specs on occasionally during set-up, but no audience member has or will for as long as I can remember what's what without needing to read it.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »

Some of us are old enough to need reading glasses to see anything on the console, but vain enough not to be caught dead wearing them in public.  One of the reasons when I was dragged out of retirement earlier this year, I bought the same A&H board I used to own.  My guys have seen me with the specs on occasionally during set-up, but no audience member has or will for as long as I can remember what's what without needing to read it.

Well I have to wear glasses or contacts to see anything more than a few inches from my face.... And I've been that way since I was 6 or 7 years old(I'm 25 now).  8) Maybe you should look into contacts; I've never had a problem with how glasses look I just hate wearing them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.