ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RF link for festival  (Read 7489 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: RF link for festival
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »

Hi Jim,

Polarization orientation angle mismatch losses in dB are roughly as follows:

Circular to linear   -3
RHCP to LHCP   -∞
0° (aligned)    -0
15°   -0.3
30°   -1.25
45°   -3.01
60°   -6.02
75°   -11.74
90° (orthogonal)   -∞

As is the case in many RF calculations, these are valid for free space links, in a theoretically perfect environment.  It doesn't account for any of the multipath losses (and gains) that we observe in the real world.  We will almost never see a perfect -∞ null in an orthogonal system on Earth, since many reflected paths will exist, and reflections alter signal polarization angle.  At least one path will almost surely be measurable at the RX antenna.

This may be a master of the obvious comment.  I have mentioned I am a network/RF engineer for my "real job":  Heavy RF, back in the day TV and FM broadcast then cellular.  As I continue to understand the science of acoustics the math is the same.

When you start talking about mixing drivers at different phase angles to control audio propagation the same beam steering principals belong to RF.  If a RX has a crappy front end changing the antenna polarization can drop the noise floor significantly. 

Likewise a direction antenna with gain has no input power so it makes gain my "squeezing" one side of the pattern and adding the energy to the other.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 12:28:06 AM »

Topic swerve sorta...

Am I to understand that the G2 & G3 systems are each compatible between the wireless mic receivers and the IEM transmitters (assuming frequency matching)?

Most of the Shure systems are not so this may be the catalyst for me to add some Sennheiser gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »

Topic swerve sorta...

Am I to understand that the G2 & G3 systems are each compatible between the wireless mic receivers and the IEM transmitters (assuming frequency matching)?

Most of the Shure systems are not so this may be the catalyst for me to add some Sennheiser gear.

Yes, you can transmit from Evolution G1/2/3 and 2000 IEM transmitters to Evolution G1/2/3 and 2000/2050+3732(in HDX mode) receivers. Just set the transmitter to mono, and turn off pilot tone on the receiver.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »

Yes, you can transmit from Evolution G1/2/3 and 2000 IEM transmitters to Evolution G1/2/3 and 2000/2050+3732(in HDX mode) receivers. Just set the transmitter to mono, and turn off pilot tone on the receiver.

Thanks. Very cool.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »

Wait wait...
if you're running XLR as a backup, why would you even bother with the wireless link?
am I missing something here?

I wish I remembered who said it first, but the quote goes something like "you can spend thousands of dollars on the best wireless available and it will be *almost* as good as a cable"

Jason
It was a chance to experiment while I had a backup rather than try it on a "mission critical" situation.
Wouldn't you rather experiment in a situation where a failure isn't an issue?
It's my time and effort....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:08:59 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

It's worth the time to use the wireless link in a real-time, non-critical situation.  If in the future the wireless option becomes necessary, you'll have had a free trial run under your belt.

Also...redundancy.
Give the man a cigar :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.