ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EU-6500 running 3500 watts of sound - Volume lowers during heavy bass  (Read 39436 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: EU-6500 running 3500 watts of sound - Volume lowers during heavy bass
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

I'm surprised we got to 4 pages without this being said multiple times. 
No sensible conversation can be had about whether the wires are the correct size and the speakers getting adequate power until this fiery liability is dealt with.
Well, since we have not heard from the OP since Sunday, I would think we should wait for him to post back with an update. Many questions have been asked, but with no answers forthcoming, we should wait until he returns. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »

Possible fiery liability.
Not to Code

shawn swanson

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »

Hey all - popped my knee helping a friend build a deck and I blew off life for awhile.  Good news is I didn't damage it, just strained it.

I'm going to skip trying to quote everyone...

Voltage Drop Calc - got a neat little app on my iPhone.  I know that can be reduced in this system.  Starting first with the comment on 'why 200 feet'.  They said the cable was 200 feet but they don't use all of it.  I'm going to shorten it, and hope I can half it.  I've asked the guy who stores it to get me confirmation on the cords size and length.  If I can cut it in half and run two out of two different receptacles on the genny then each side is 120 and protected by the breaker on the gen, and each cord could be run right to the first speakers.

don't think they are getting 17 amps on a daisy of 12ga cords.  They run 3 speakers on each run, two after 50' and then they use another 100' split off to the third speaker.  That's about 12.5 amps.  However, the comment about environment is probably very applicable seeing as how they use it in the desert.  I'm going to plan on limiting this to 5 amps per cord.

I kinda get how the compression used when producing the music can increase the power load, and I do understand that this causes the load on the amps to be far more continuous, there by making the power supply and the environment more important.

I have no idea if the distro is done corrrectly or if it's full of 'fusible links' ;-}  I can suggest they get a proper distro, or if they balk I plan on bringing a simple square D 2 space main lug box to split and protect the circuits.  Hopefully I can just split the cord.

Thanks for the offer Ray!  However, gear is in Tahoe and the gig is in Nevada.  Scary thing is the Mackie speakers have been in a shipping container all year - in a parking lot!

And lastly, they say the camp always talks about getting more sound but then think they don't really need it.  Seems to me if they are complaining about the bass dropping off they want more sound weather they know it or not.  I'll get to spin on it myself late August and find out ;-}

John Lackner

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »

Try a shorter main power cord, and a bigger generator. 6500 watts is the AVERAGE maximum output from the generator, and it may be getting overloaded  during musical peaks, and EDM is peak-heavy. Try a 10, 15 or 20 kilowatt generator.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

kel mcguire

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »

Maybe the ECO Throttle is on!!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »

Maybe the ECO Throttle is on!!

Oh my, two interesting posts in a row.

Kel, the Eco Throttle does not limit power available, it just dials down the engine when it's peak capacity isn't needed in order to save fuel. When the load requires full power, the engine charges back up to full power.

Try a shorter main power cord, and a bigger generator. 6500 watts is the AVERAGE maximum output from the generator, and it may be getting overloaded  during musical peaks, and EDM is peak-heavy. Try a 10, 15 or 20 kilowatt generator.

We've already discussed a shorter main power cord (presuming you read the other replies in this thread) - and this generator has the power available to handle this rig. There's something else weirdness going on, potentially with the voltage drop over 200' and that's what we have been discussing. You noticed, I hope, that the OP already has this generator, and that's what they have to work with. Suggesting getting a different generator is not as helpful... especially when it's not the main problem.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

John Lackner

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »

Oh my, two interesting posts in a row.

Kel, the Eco Throttle does not limit power available, it just dials down the engine when it's peak capacity isn't needed in order to save fuel. When the load requires full power, the engine charges back up to full power.

We've already discussed a shorter main power cord (presuming you read the other replies in this thread) - and this generator has the power available to handle this rig. There's something else weirdness going on, potentially with the voltage drop over 200' and that's what we have been discussing. You noticed, I hope, that the OP already has this generator, and that's what they have to work with. Suggesting getting a different generator is not as helpful... especially when it's not the main problem.

-Ray

A 6500 watt generator will NOT produce enough reserve power to handle the peak loads of a 3500 watt system. For a bass heavy 3500 watt sound system you need at least 10 kilowatts for it to operate properly during the bass and bass drum peaks.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »

A 6500 watt generator will NOT produce enough reserve power to handle the peak loads of a 3500 watt system. For a bass heavy 3500 watt sound system you need at least 10 kilowatts for it to operate properly during the bass and bass drum peaks.

You must not be familiar with powered Mackie gear, so I'll let it go now.
Kelcema Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 11:10:46 PM »

You are mistaken.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 01:33:13 AM »

So I will give that it is possible that the "surge" of the bass hits might be over-taxing the Mackies. I was just talking to my dad about this, and he recalled an event in Bellevue where we had a bunch of Mackies on an EM3500, and as the heavy bass hits were coming in, the generator was audibly struggling.

I had this same problem last month at Seattle's Pride-- a DJ rig, EM3500, an I-Tech 4000 powering two JBL SRX725s and an I-Tech 6000 powering two SRX728S. I was off site bringing a wireless to another club, and got the call over the radio that "the generator is out of gas." Well, that wasn't the problem, of course-- the DJ had leaned on the rig so hard with the bass that he tripped the main breaker on the generator, killing all AC. I scolded him, and moved the sub amp onto my spare EU2000i (which barely barely managed to survive!) and finished the gig.

So, OP, you should measure your actual current draw during Burning Man. If you're taxing the peak capabilities of the EU6500, that might explain your lack of performance, and a generator with more power might be a good investment.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2014, 01:33:13 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.