ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a PA system  (Read 25923 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: I need a PA system
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

You're basically stuck with a 3-band parametric EQ for fighting feedback issues, with a full 31-band EQ on the main outputs. Not sure what they were thinking.
Assuming they were limited in the processing available, possibly that parametric EQ is generally much more effective in addressing feedback while the main bus EQ would likely be used for more general 'artistic' equalization where a 1/3 octave EQ might be more effective.

Consider that in terms of DSP processing a 31 band graphic EQ is essentially a 31 band parametric EQ with pre-determined bandwidths and center band frequencies.  Back when programmable audo DSP devices had rather limited processing capability you quickly learned  to avoid graphic EQs except for where they really made sense.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the input and info you guys are offering up. I’ll try and answer the questions here:
•I have NOT asked Heslip what gear he may be willing to sell me. He’s doing two events for me next weekend, and I’ll discuss it with him then.
•I am always scouring the local Craigslists, but for basses, guitars and amps. I have started looking there for PA gear as well, but the pieces I mentioned originally haven’t been offered yet. I also look at the Chicago and Cleveland Craigslists because I’m located in between.
•Size could be an issue. Some events may just be handled by my wife (for instance, if I’m gigging with my band at the same time), so I can’t get anything heavier than she can handle.
•As for inputs I expect to put in it, the most I envision would be four vocal mics; possibly a line out from my bass amp; and a keyboard. The events are small, so I don’t think I’d ever be micing amps or drum sets. If it’s that big of an event, I’d use Heslip.
•The venues will be small – a 100-seat club or restaurant; an outdoor farm-to-table event under a large tent with a 150 people and a trio or quartet band. Again, anything larger is Heslip’s job.
•Styles of music: My bands are blues, a little rockabilly and country, some jazz. Many of the acts we book are the same. If it’s thumping rock, which is rare, it’s Heslip’s job.
•Not very loud – small clubs, small outdoor events. Anything requiring major volume, like our big jazz/blues festival, is Heslip’s.
•I have a Mazda 3 hatchback, which I think I can get a sub, two speakers, two stands, a mixer, and a few mics and stands. I can get an upright bass, electric bass and my Ampeg B100R I there with room to spare. I also have access to my in-laws nearby van, which I do use when I supply backline of drums and bass rig for our festivals.
•Bob Leonard suggested passive speakers. Is that type of setup with a separate amplifier typically preferred over powered speakers? I’ve been playing in bands for 25 years, and remember the days of hauling all that separate gear – monitors, mains, mixer, amp, effects. The Bose was a revelation. 
•Regarding Richard Turner’s suggestion, I wouldn’t have technical riders for bands. These are small events with local bands that are usually no bigger than a quintet. For our large festivals, yes, we riders for the national acts, and Heslip nails all those requirements. The PA I’m thinking about is for smaller, lower volume events. I have NO PA gear currently. Yes, generating a list of all the gear needed is smart and being started.
•We have been debating using Heslip for these small events, but I wouldn’t use him for my band gigs as his fee wouldn’t really make it worthwhile for the musicians. I have no intention of replacing Heslip. If I do use him for these small hits, at what point would I be spending more than this $2,500? I’m guesstimating maybe three years.
•I do not have an iPad, although one of the big local bands, Fifty Amp Fuse, uses a digital system that is incredibly cool. I know nothing about those. Is that something worth exploring, or is it beyond my budget?

Another reason I was thinking of the Yamaha DXR10s is that for my trio (bass, guitar, drums, two vocals), we could probably get away with one as a main and another as a monitor.
Again guys, thank you for the input. I’m learning much here!
Cal

Good information.

For small gigs I would not put the bass in the PA. Why? It takes a lot of PA to do justice to low frequencies. Except for little practice amps, most bass amps see to do fine by themselves. For me, if I am thinking bass in the pa, I am also thinking guitars and drums too. Now you need more pa.

I would get some decent 12" tops and stands, perhaps a used mixer and only put vocals and the keyboard in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

JohnCoxNC

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »

I don't have any specific suggestions other than to say I've been very happy with my Sales Engineer at Sweetwater, Jeff Hollman.  He's never steered me wrong , and he's set me straight a time or two. 

Pardon my ignorance but I have a question related to a term I've seen twice in this thread and many other times elsewhere; MI level gear.  I get the idea, I just don't know what the abbreviation is referring too???  Thanks - John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iLove Baptist Church Audio Team

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »

Good information.

For small gigs I would not put the bass in the PA. Why? It takes a lot of PA to do justice to low frequencies. Except for little practice amps, most bass amps see to do fine by themselves. For me, if I am thinking bass in the pa, I am also thinking guitars and drums too. Now you need more pa.

I would get some decent 12" tops and stands, perhaps a used mixer and only put vocals and the keyboard in it.
I agree with Rob's great advice.  Since you mentioned speakers that your wife could handle, used EV SX300 or equivalent would likely work well for your application.  They're very light and sound pretty good. In this regard, perhaps you can swing some used gear and some new using your line of credit.

If you decide to look into digital, I'll 2nd the recommendation for the Mackie DL1608.  It's what my band uses and it works great for bar gigs.  To save money, look for a used iPad.  We got our DL1608 at GC for $800 out the door and a used iPad for $200 on a local classifieds.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »

Pardon my ignorance but I have a question related to a term I've seen twice in this thread and many other times elsewhere; MI level gear.  I get the idea, I just don't know what the abbreviation is referring too???  Thanks - John

MI = Musical Instrument.  Originally used to delineate the retail sales outlets.  MI mean band instruments, pianos & organs, and guitars/basses/drums and related accessories, and to distinguish the models marketed to/through those retailers from the models and lines marketed through professional dealers, broadcast and recording studio suppliers, and the permanent installation market.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »

Is your name really JohnCoxNC?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »

I agree to the sx300 cabinets as well. They sound good and are light, plus the power requirements are low and they will make a decent monitor or small gig box when the OP upgrades.

I also think we should help the OP walk before he runs. I don't see any reason to introduce the complexity or additional costs of a digital board at this time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

Is your name really JohnCoxNC?

Because "John Cox" was already taken....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »

I have been a semi-pro bassist in blues bands for the past 18 years.

I also play in one band that uses a Bose L1 II system. We use it for three vocals and once in a while, depending on the room size, I'll run the line out from my Ampeg B100R bass amp into the Bose. Ninety-five percent of the time, the Bose is fine for our gigs. The other five percent, we wish we had a little more juice.

This right here says it all IMO, the OP has no need for a megawatt PA system just something with a little more juice than a single Bose L1 system. A pair of EV ZLX12p's with a single 15" sub would fit that bill, or a larger pair of mains like the JBL PRX15 or Yamaha DXS15 without a sub. I like form factor and simplicity of an A&H Zed or Soundcraft MFX but if you don't mind not having a traditional control surface the Mackie DL will give you more features and control.

Cal Stone

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

I actually ran into my sound guy, Heslip, running sound for our town's Fourth of July parade. I talked to him a bit about our needs. He recommended -- although he cautioned that many people hate the brand -- a small Behringer mixer and a couple of powered 15s. He didn't say which brand of speakers, but said he would email me some links.

A local bassist I befriended recently plays in a new country band that uses a Mackie DL1608. I planned on coming out to their gig tonight to check it out, but after I talked to him, I started researching it. I don't think a digital mixer is right for me -- either pricewise or functionality (I can barely handle my car's computer screen thang). Heslip said he'd love one -- IF he was the sound guy for a touring band and saw the same lineup every night. Otherwise, he likes having all the controls right in front of him as opposed to scrolling through menus. He's probably around my age, 54, and likes old school too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.