ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a PA system  (Read 25946 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: I need a PA system
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »

However, being that most mixers in this dollar level are pretty much the same, with one exception, then you might try to save some nickels.
hahaha. Did I just detect the B word? I'd stay away from peavey, crate and Phonic and Nady for mixers as well (and most other gear the make, too. Though I want really bash Peavey much they really aren't a bad brand for the most part, just not that great either.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:57:24 PM by JasonFinnigan »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

Alright, I'll be the devils advocate.

Being that the OP has $2500 available for his use the worst thing in the world won't be spending it a Sweetwater. If that's all the OP has available right now, if there's no ready cash but he can afford a payment, then Sweetwater it is.

The ZED60 is an entry level 12 channel mixer with effects. I've never used one or heard one so you'll need to depend on the A&H rep, but at this level just about any reputable name mixer will give you good entry level sound.

However, being that most mixers in this dollar level are pretty much the same, with one exception, then you might try to save some nickels.

MIXER

Alternatives;

Soundcraft EPM12
Yamaha MW12CX

I'm going to recommend passive speakers because passive speakers can always be used for other duties with other amplifiers and in the end will generally cost less on a per speaker basis;

You have $2000 left to play with.

2ea. JBL PRX415M - $550ea.

You have $900 left to play with.

QSC GX7 amplifier, 725 watts per channel at 8ohms, $600

You have $300 left to play with.

At the very least you need 2ea. #12 50 foot speaker cables, 2ea. speaker tripod stands, a rack, and whatever mics and cables you can find cheap.

This would be my entry level PA. Great for vocals, the components will work together nicely, and all new. It's a start, and probably a better start than most IMO.

You can purchase subs in the future, upgrade any of the other components and still retain your original investment.

Bob,

A nice,well thought out reply.  I would just add a dual 31 band GEQ to the get-it-now list...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Richard Turner

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »

+1 on the Zed series, very comparable build quality to the mixwizard but a 1 circut board design with all the inputs on top. I would take it over a mackie/peavey/yamaha/similar level soundcraft any day of the week.

If an easy to use well layed out analog board is all you need fill yer boots. Bearing in mind ZED60-14FX is only a single mid eq and 1 aux for monitors, the larger model may be more versatile.

Original poster As for the whole deal please sit down with an old fashioned pad of paper and pencil and make the following lists:

technical rider for each band

size and SPL required for each band at the venues you gig

what gear you already have on hand and its "sell it this week on craigslist/pawn shop" value

what gear you will need, all of it, right down to mic clips cables extention cords mic cords tubs from walmart if you cant buy road cases.

Now , compare and contrast the true price of ownership vs hiring out. Are you as far ahead to continue to pay out to get a job done right or will this $2500 purchase have you fully capable of doing thus all yourself.

I am willing to guess the provider you are wanting to replace with yourself is using $12-$16K minimal in gear and you aren't realizing the full worth of the investment. I know people (venue security mostly) kinda look at me funny when I say to keep an eye on the mic/cable case. mostly is around $4000 retail value with all the little stuff factored in even for a `just need a few mics`gigs

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »

Here's what I came up with at Sweetwater:

- Soundcraft MFXi 8 ($500)
- Yamaha SM15V ($400 each, $800 for 2)
- On Stage Speaker Stands ($50 each, $100 for 2)
- 50 ft. Speakon cables ($60 each, $120 for 2)
- QSC GX7 ($600)
- dbx 231 ($200)

Total (excluding tax): $2,313.81

If OP can go 12 inch, then Yamaha SM12V ($350 each, $700 for 2).

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »

Since the OP hasn't told us much about his application I think we are wasting time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »

I like Bob's post the best.

The fact is that you aren't going to get chest pounding rock from a $2500.00 system no matter what you pick.

As for the mixers, I agree with Steve.  I would go with the Soundcraft simply because it has 12 real XLR input channels.  You are inevitably going to run out of XLR inputs, and the Soundcraft gives you the most for the money on this front.

Larry Lewis

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »

Don't even think about buying new gear with a budget.  With the advent of new speakers and digital doodads, used systems are easier to come by and will be better, more capable gear for your stated use.

If you're buying new gear, you can usually save a bit by working through a dealer. Although this negates the possibility of financing, you can easily squeeze another 10-25% out of your budget.

Lots of folks are recommending analog mixers, but I'd take the lowly Studiolive 16.0.2 over the budget analog mixers any day. The only issue with the 16.0.2 which the other StudioLive mixers don't share is limited EQ on the aux sends. You're basically stuck with a 3-band parametric EQ for fighting feedback issues, with a full 31-band EQ on the main outputs. Not sure what they were thinking.

Yamaha DXR12 ($700 x 2): $1400
Pair of On-Stage Stands SS7761B: $100
PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2: $1000

Total: $2500

Add a sub when you get more budget.

If you weren't stuck with Sweetwater and could get financing elsewhere, two of the better budget brands for active speakers are RCF and Alto. But neither are carried by Sweetwater. Using Amazon for example:

Alto Professional TS112A ($300 x 2): $600
Pair of On-Stage Stands SS7761B: $100
PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2: $1000

Total: $1700

$800 closer to a sub.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:06:47 PM by Larry Lewis »

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »

If you weren't stuck with Sweetwater and could get financing elsewhere, two of the better budget brands for active speakers are RCF and Alto.
RCF and Alto gear aren't really in the same class of gear. Alto makes all lower class MI gear. RCF is mainly higher end touring gear.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »

RCF and Alto gear aren't really in the same class of gear. Alto makes all lower class MI gear. RCF is mainly higher end touring gear.

Two cents here, I can't comment on speakers as I don't know the app but you can't beat the flexibility of a Mackie DL1608 if you already own an iPad.  You get all the eq and processing you need and you can walk the room as you mix.

I can tell you I have some ZLX 15's and 12's and they have a lot of bang for the buck and are holding up well.  Run from the elx118p subs they have an unreal failure rate.  Look how many returns music123 is trying to unload on eBay.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Cal Stone

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the input and info you guys are offering up. I’ll try and answer the questions here:
•   I have NOT asked Heslip what gear he may be willing to sell me. He’s doing two events for me next weekend, and I’ll discuss it with him then.
•   I am always scouring the local Craigslists, but for basses, guitars and amps. I have started looking there for PA gear as well, but the pieces I mentioned originally haven’t been offered yet. I also look at the Chicago and Cleveland Craigslists because I’m located in between.
•   Size could be an issue. Some events may just be handled by my wife (for instance, if I’m gigging with my band at the same time), so I can’t get anything heavier than she can handle.
•   As for inputs I expect to put in it, the most I envision would be four vocal mics; possibly a line out from my bass amp; and a keyboard. The events are small, so I don’t think I’d ever be micing amps or drum sets. If it’s that big of an event, I’d use Heslip.
•   The venues will be small – a 100-seat club or restaurant; an outdoor farm-to-table event under a large tent with a 150 people and a trio or quartet band. Again, anything larger is Heslip’s job.
•   Styles of music: My bands are blues, a little rockabilly and country, some jazz. Many of the acts we book are the same. If it’s thumping rock, which is rare, it’s Heslip’s job.
•   Not very loud – small clubs, small outdoor events. Anything requiring major volume, like our big jazz/blues festival, is Heslip’s.
•   I have a Mazda 3 hatchback, which I think I can get a sub, two speakers, two stands, a mixer, and a few mics and stands. I can get an upright bass, electric bass and my Ampeg B100R I there with room to spare. I also have access to my in-laws nearby van, which I do use when I supply backline of drums and bass rig for our festivals.
•   Bob Leonard suggested passive speakers. Is that type of setup with a separate amplifier typically preferred over powered speakers? I’ve been playing in bands for 25 years, and remember the days of hauling all that separate gear – monitors, mains, mixer, amp, effects. The Bose was a revelation. 
•   Regarding Richard Turner’s suggestion, I wouldn’t have technical riders for bands. These are small events with local bands that are usually no bigger than a quintet. For our large festivals, yes, we riders for the national acts, and Heslip nails all those requirements. The PA I’m thinking about is for smaller, lower volume events. I have NO PA gear currently. Yes, generating a list of all the gear needed is smart and being started.
•   We have been debating using Heslip for these small events, but I wouldn’t use him for my band gigs as his fee wouldn’t really make it worthwhile for the musicians. I have no intention of replacing Heslip. If I do use him for these small hits, at what point would I be spending more than this $2,500? I’m guesstimating maybe three years.
•   I do not have an iPad, although one of the big local bands, Fifty Amp Fuse, uses a digital system that is incredibly cool. I know nothing about those. Is that something worth exploring, or is it beyond my budget?

Another reason I was thinking of the Yamaha DXR10s is that for my trio (bass, guitar, drums, two vocals), we could probably get away with one as a main and another as a monitor.
Again guys, thank you for the input. I’m learning much here!
Cal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.