ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] P series/type rack panels similar to Audiopyle's?  (Read 9856 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: P series/type rack panels similar to Audiopyle's?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

Frankly, if you're trying to save money by re-using 'P-style' connectors, custom panels probably aren't the way you want to go. After all, a Neutrik DL series connector is only $3 a pop.
Agreed - if the OP's labor is worth anything, this turns into a losing proposition in a hurry.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »

Does anyone know any place that sells P series/type connector panels with the holes drilled, like Audiopyle's D Series panels? Or am I going to have to drill them by hand on blank panels?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm making panels for plugging into my wireless mic rack and I have some spare P series male XLR connectors that I'm trying to put to good use.

I've used one of these before:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/connector-panels/universal-connector-panel/uni-1.aspx

You should be able to mount any audio connector you can find.  You can use a drift punch to pop out the segments you need from the panel.

If you go the punch route, you need a 3/4", which unfortunately is not a standard electrical size, and it isn't useful for any other connectors.

GTD

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »

I've used one of these before:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/connector-panels/universal-connector-panel/uni-1.aspx

You should be able to mount any audio connector you can find.  You can use a drift punch to pop out the segments you need from the panel.

If you go the punch route, you need a 3/4", which unfortunately is not a standard electrical size, and it isn't useful for any other connectors.

GTD

I agree completely.

I have used the UNI-1 and UNI-2 in the past. In the future I plan on using the UNI-1-C since it provides a place to tie the wire to so it is not wrenching on the solder terminals as the wire flops around in the rack.

You can find more information about the UNI-1-C here: Middle Atlantic UNI-1-C Connector Panel

If you are making your own panels with P-series connectors, for the male connectors you need a 3/4 inch diameter punch or step drill. If you plan to put any female connectors on a panel, you will need a 15/16" diameter punch or step drill. This is the same size as the Neutrik D series connectors.

If I needed a totally custom panel, Panel Authority, Panel Crafters, Ramtech, Whirlwind, and others have made me great panels in the past. I'm not sure if Ramtech is still doing custom metal work, but if they are not I'm sure they would be glad to point you to someone who does. However, in my case, these days most all my needs can be serviced by the UNI panels from Middle Atlantic.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »

I have punched a great deal of panels in my time, but I don't think I EVER got one to come out straight. If you need these to look even halfway nice, buy a prepunched panel.

Like I said, call Full Compass. I have bought P panels there before.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »

I have punched a great deal of panels in my time, but I don't think I EVER got one to come out straight. If you need these to look even halfway nice, buy a prepunched panel.

Like I said, call Full Compass. I have bought P panels there before.

Also, I have used the Uni-panels before too, but If you are going to use a bunch of the holes they start to get flimsy. I wouldn't use one for a large job.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas Le

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »

Sorry to stir the pot, but I believe I have a potential candidate, S12M by Raxxess. The picture looks like the panel could hold my P male connectors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/143702-REG/Raxxess_S12M_Single_Space_Connector_Panel.html/prm/alsVwDtl
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:27:32 PM by Thomas Le »

Thomas Le

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »

Finally got around to order the screws from amazon, and finish the panel by soldering. Next is to find some washers so to mount the BNC connectors on the empty space. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:44:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.