ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surgical tape on the antenna?  (Read 2288 times)

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
Surgical tape on the antenna?
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »

I'm in a run of musical theater with about 30 RF mics and have had some issues when transmit antennas are in contact with actor's skin. Am I barking up the wrong tree to wrap (fold over) the transmit antennas with surgical tape to isolate the moisture and salt content of the actors?
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: Surgical tape on the antenna?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »

I'm in a run of musical theater with about 30 RF mics and have had some issues when transmit antennas are in contact with actor's skin. Am I barking up the wrong tree to wrap (fold over) the transmit antennas with surgical tape to isolate the moisture and salt content of the actors?

Antennas contacting skin is a well-known source of trouble.  Wrapping an antenna in anything is not an ideal solution, but rather placing a large patch of thick, fabric-type surgical tape on the actor's skin, to keep the antenna separated from the skin, is a commonly used method.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »

Complete +1

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

I'd go with the tape-on-skin method first.  If you find yourself having trouble keeping the antenna straight, some non-adhesive heat shrink can help.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Put a straw or rubber tube over the antenna to maintain seperation to the skin. A foam plug from an IEM works in a pinch.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.