ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Coordination, not just useful...  (Read 12425 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Wireless Coordination, not just useful...
« on: July 01, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

Hi,

I've seen a number of threads recently where posters are asking about wireless issues, and are trying to get a good result... but a number of times, I saw the number of units being used as an almost (to me anyways) determining factor. So, I thought I'd share an experience I had this past weekend as an example.

We played three different events in a row in a venue along the Maine coast (beautiful venue, beautiful view, beautiful weather, great clients...) It was really tons of fun. The A/V tech at the venue and I worked to make sure that my wireless transmitters were off during their ceremonial portions of the event. They were using three wireless units on the 2nd & 3rd days. All their wireless mics are in the 500MHz range as are our IEM transmitters.

On day three, we had a little extra time, and the A/V tech provided me with the 6 frequencies that were already set when he took over. I used my IAS and found direct hits on two of the units, and this was while I was entering the frequencies in use and had only gotten to frequency #4, IIRC.

So, in the spirit of collegiality, I ran a wireless coordination for him. They're using Shure UHF-R gear (Receivers are UR4D+.) The coordination yielded 21 concurrent frequencies that were available.

Moral of the story: The 'sum & difference' physics of RF can bite you with real unhappy results even in a setup with only a few (5 or so) units.

One other thing: We played a commencement dance at one of the colleges here in Maine, and I'm glad I didn't just think "Oh, there's not been any new DTV activity up here" as when I checked against the FCC database in the IAS I had three direct hits from nearby TV stations and had to change three of our mics - two for the lead singers.

I'm thinking that even for small operators like myself, if you want to play in the RF sandbox, minimal things to have are: Coordination software (free or otherwise,) RF scanners (we use the TTi PSA1301T which covers from 150KHz to 1300MHz,) and a WiFi scanner that shows all the 2.4 & 5GHz activity. That seems to be what I need to survive.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Wireless Coordination, not just useful...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »

I'm thinking that even for small operators like myself, if you want to play in the RF sandbox, minimal things to have are: Coordination software (free or otherwise,) RF scanners (we use the TTi PSA1301T which covers from 150KHz to 1300MHz,) and a WiFi scanner that shows all the 2.4 & 5GHz activity. That seems to be what I need to survive.

You are so right, Bob,

Especially when you are in an event like yours with other users. 
Remember: RF coordination protects YOU. BE PROACTIVE AND DO IT.

After Touring for a couple of years with the same act visiting over a hundred cities, with almost 40 frequencies (Not a lot and no comm) the coordination process obviously was mandatory.  I fell into a routine which made the process painless.  The "RF Coordination for Roadies" booklet was the result.  Please, be my guest and Download it for free.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:51:45 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »

After Touring for a couple of years with the same act visiting over a hundred cities, with almost 40 frequencies (Not a lot and no comm) the coordination process obviously was mandatory.  I fell into a routine which made the process painless.  The "RF Coordination for Roadies" booklet was the result.  Please, be my guest and Download it for free.
++1

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:08 PM »

Thanks Pete.  A lot of experience is captured in that booklet.  For many casual wireless users their planning falls down at the "is my chosen frequency already in use" stage, way before the more subtle issues.  :-)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »

Wireless coordination is definitely something people should be doing... and with Shure's Wireless Workbench 6 there's a pretty good free program for doing it. I still prefer IAS for big projects, but WWB6 is pretty capable (multiple manufacturers supported) and I think there's no excuse not to have a copy.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »

I saw you were saying a wifi tracking device and did not see any mention on a good program to work with. 

So I have seen and heard from others that Inssider was a good tool and have been using this and agree
with this as a good tool to download and use.    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »

I still prefer IAS for big projects, but WWB6 is pretty capable (multiple manufacturers supported) and I think there's no excuse not to have a copy.

Check out RF Guru for $79.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:31:09 AM »

Check out RF Guru for $79.

Hello Justice!

What advantage would RF Guru be over WWB6 ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Sidhu
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:26:28 AM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »

If all you want is frequency coordination I would go with the free WWB6. The main advantage of RF Guru is the mic tracking for theater productions. RF Guru is aimed at theater use, and includes lots of features for both managing mics in a given location, and moving a production to various cities. WWB6 only does coordination of most popular mics and IEMs, and control of Shure mics and IEMs.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »

Hello Justice!

Thank you.

Regards,
Sidhu

Admittedly, I haven't used WWB. I was under the impression that it only had access to Shure equipment.

Also, I don't know that any of this software will work in India (at least when comparing known TV channels)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.