ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Tricks to a fiddle?  (Read 9511 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Any Tricks to a fiddle?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:27 AM »

The open Estring on the electric bass guitar is also 40 cycles or so, but for years we routinely half past our sound systems and 80 cycles. So it seems to me that often the most important total aspects of an instrument have nothing to do with the fundamentals. The overtones create this characteristic tone of instruments, not necessarily the fundamentals.

The El bass has its own amp and presence from the stage...

Simply applying a radical HPF to anything is bad practice.  You have to listen.  Dial it up until the sound starts to change, then back off a tad.  Especially since in the case of a transducer randomly dumping your LF won't help with the concern about a harsh sound.

That's the way too set HPF.

As a fiddler myself I'd prefer your standard 80 or 100hz filter.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:49:37 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:01 AM »

I can do amazing tricks with a fiddle. For starters I can balance one on my nose.

Or I can do what Dick suggests and make it sound right.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »

I can do amazing tricks with a fiddle. For starters I can balance one on my nose.

Or I can do what Dick suggests and make it sound right.

Sometimes the only solution is to butter their bow...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

DavidTurner

Any Tricks to a fiddle?
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:31:52 PM by DavidTurner »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »

Sometimes the only solution is to butter their bow...

A typo entered into a search for "bow butter" brought some unexpected (NSFW) results.

From the concept of tone, so much depends on how the instrument addresses the microphone, and that's ultimately up to the player.  It never fails that right after I scoop out a bunch of 3kHz, the player moves a couple of inches and the sound is dark and muddy....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »

I got some insight from him, sounds like he is a good player but doesn't know sound well.  He basically said one gig the sound guy made him sound better than he has ever heard, and the last festival he sounded terrible.  I inquired but not much more info was given.  Lol.  Sounds like it is a go with it kind of instrument, so I will do just that!  Appreciate it!
Wow...now there is a whole lot of technical information on what he likes for his sound!  Choose either a dynamic or condensor and put it up in the air and be done with it.   A Shure 57 or Audix I5 will do the trick for you.   I have used 57's   or had singers flip a vox Shure 58 up and play into that.   I have used the AKG CS1000 and liked that as well.   
I have worked with fiddle players that use a direct line/pickup and microphone at the same time.   Your not splitting hairs here. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

Wow...now there is a whole lot of technical information on what he likes for his sound!  Choose either a dynamic or condensor and put it up in the air and be done with it.   A Shure 57 or Audix I5 will do the trick for you.   I have used 57's   or had singers flip a vox Shure 58 up and play into that.   I have used the AKG CS1000 and liked that as well.   
I have worked with fiddle players that use a direct line/pickup and microphone at the same time.   Your not splitting hairs here.

The fiddle supplies an XLR, as stated in the OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 26 queries.