ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange thing happened  (Read 3938 times)

Kris Flowers

Strange thing happened
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »

Had an interesting thing happen the other night. I use a studio live 16.4.2 with 1 JBL PRX 618XLF AND 2 JBL PRX612's.  I ran left channel out to the sub then to stage left top and right channel out to stage right top.  It was a small gig only mixing the kick drum and vocals. I have run this setup many times with no issue. So I had no sound coming out of the sub, but the crossover worked to the stage left JBL. The stage right top was getting a signal but very weak. I had to select mic vs line input to get any volume. When I swapped outputs everything stayed the same.  I even tried the mono out and nothing changed. I think that eliminates the source problem. The next thing I did was try different cables and that didn't help either.  Very frustrating!

We managed to limp through the gig. When I got home I tried the sub and top with a completely different source and cables. Well guess what, they worked.  I then used the studio live and they worked. I then checked every cable with a multimeter and they are all fine. 

The only variable I can come up with is power.  Could that cause the issue I had. I'm really scratching my head on this one. I'm happy everything is working at home but nervous cause I don't know what went wrong.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Strange thing happened
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Kris Flowers

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Name updated.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »

Kris - I would try and drive the sub from a send on your board and that way you can isolate the crossover function.  It does sound like you lost a gain stage somewhere.

How do you like the XLF's?  I am deciding between these, QSC KW181 or the new EV ETX18S and am flummoxed as the right choice.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kris Flowers

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »

Kris - I would try and drive the sub from a send on your board and that way you can isolate the crossover function.  It does sound like you lost a gain stage somewhere.

How do you like the XLF's?  I am deciding between these, QSC KW181 or the new EV ETX18S and am flummoxed as the right choice.

I like them a lot.  I don't have any experience with the QSC or EV.  I HAVE 4 of them and depending on the size of the show I use 1 or all. Never had any problems with overheating either.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

As far as power to the console, I really don't think so.  So much is lumped in the "bad power bin" with digital consoles - IMO, that should be the last reason after all other good troubleshooting analysis done (unless of course, it is obvious i.e., lightening storm and lights dimming and going out)

As I understand it, the tops and the sub was run off the L-R outputs of the SL 16.

What were the output meters saying?
What were the input meters saying?
Did you que the individual channels and listen on phones?

(although I don't think it is here) did you restart the console?  Clear the scene?

The obvious - power to the sub? Is that powercon power in?  Was it twisted to locked position?
If IEC, - was it in tight?  Power lights?
Gain turned up? 

frank

Kris Flowers

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

Frank,

Correct on the setup. 

Inputs were about 3/4 and outputs were 1/2

I did not listen in phones, next time I'll do that for sure.

I didn't restart the console, but I did cycle the power on the sub.

I was getting power lights on everything.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

I have both the PRXs and the KW181's right now.  I would choose the 181, but they are both great subs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.