ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Tricks to a fiddle?  (Read 9584 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Any Tricks to a fiddle?
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »

I have two gigs this week with a reputable "real" country band in our region.  I just got an email that there spot to play got bumped up which is really going to cut into some of my time ( I dont have the option to show up earlier and they are understanding of that).  They are a pretty good sized band and have worked themselves completely out of the bar business and travel alot.

I am running an X32, and my QSC KW rig outdoors for this one.  I have only ever mixed an electric violin before.  He has a fiddle and is the star of their show at points, just curious what is protocol in "real country music" (the older stuff).  Should there be any verb or leave it dry?  Any tricks EQ wise that you veterans could impart or experiences to help since my set up time has just been cut.  I am not exactly sure what set up he is running in the fiddle, just told he only needs an XLR to hook up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
Re: Any Tricks to a fiddle?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

I have two gigs this week with a reputable "real" country band in our region.  I just got an email that there spot to play got bumped up which is really going to cut into some of my time ( I dont have the option to show up earlier and they are understanding of that).  They are a pretty good sized band and have worked themselves completely out of the bar business and travel alot.

I am running an X32, and my QSC KW rig outdoors for this one.  I have only ever mixed an electric violin before.  He has a fiddle and is the star of their show at points, just curious what is protocol in "real country music" (the older stuff).  Should there be any verb or leave it dry?  Any tricks EQ wise that you veterans could impart or experiences to help since my set up time has just been cut.  I am not exactly sure what set up he is running in the fiddle, just told he only needs an XLR to hook up.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I know over here in Ireland alot of the traditional Irish fiddle players are using the DPA 4099 mic....I find them absolutely fantastic, and require very little EQ to make them sound natural. Sometimes they can be a small bit feedback prone if you are using loud monitors....as far as I remember its between 1 and 2 k, but dont quote me on that.
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »

I have a few friends who play fiddle and the tones range from smooth and warm to hyperdermically harsh.  Each one needs different treatment so I don't think there is any generic advice to be given unfortunately.

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

Listen to any recordings they have online to see (hear) how they sit it in the mix.  As usual, EQ a window in any backing instruments to let the fiddle shine through. If they want a real fiddle sound rather than an electric sound, look in the 4-6K range for the presence and an octave above that for the sparkle. 

Pickups and transducers seldom have much sparkle...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »

...he only needs an XLR to hook up.

In that case I'll bet he's got his tone and effects taken care of. Every fiddler I've ever dealt with either played straight into a 58 and liked that dry western swing tone that comes from it, or had a fully-equipped pedal board and worked it as well as most guitarists work theirs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, honestly. Try to get in touch directly with the fiddler prior to the gig if you can, though.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »

depending on how quiet the stage is and how much of the nuances of his/her playing you want to pick up, and condenser mic would be a good choice.

EQ depends on the instrument some of course though, listen to it on stage and see what it sounds like.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »

depending on how quiet the stage is and how much of the nuances of his/her playing you want to pick up, and condenser mic would be a good choice.

EQ depends on the instrument some of course though, listen to it on stage and see what it sounds like.

Player has his own system.

Do you ever read the thread before you post?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »

:o
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »

Do you just think you need to be a jerk everytime you post?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »

Do you just think you need to be a jerk everytime you post?

Well come on, man- the OP says that all he's getting from the player is an XLR feed, so discussing mic choices is sorta out of line. The OP is asking for EQ/fx suggestions, not mic preferences!

So if you missed that in the OP, that could be the source of confusion.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.