ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vocal compressor  (Read 706 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
vocal compressor
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:57 am »

Looking to get a reasonably priced vocal comp.  In a past life, I had a dbx 1066. Currently have a 166a and a 266xl.  I know neither of those is anything to write home about.  Is the 1066 much of an upgrade?  What else should I look at around the $200 used range?
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: vocal compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »

Looking to get a reasonably priced vocal comp.  In a past life, I had a dbx 1066. Currently have a 166a and a 266xl.  I know neither of those is anything to write home about.  Is the 1066 much of an upgrade?  What else should I look at around the $200 used range?

dbx 160, any flavor.  There should be hundreds on the used market with the Demise of AnalogueŽ.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »

The 1066 is a comp/limiter/gate; as far as sound quality, it's probably the same as what is used in the 166/266 series.  We use the 1066 models in our rig (for compressing subgroups); have never had an issue and it's always sounded good. 

If you are needing something for live sound, stick with the dbx; if you are needing something for recording (home studio, etc.), you should probably be looking at something with much greater quality than the dbx.

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »

How many channels do you need? I've seen Aphex 651's for $200 for a single channel. BSS DPR404's can be had for $300 and they have 4 channels with de-esser's. BSS DPR402's are in the ballpark as well.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Marlborough, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:50 pm »

Have you tried an RNC?  I love mine!  It's basically transparent and great for good singers.  I use a 166 for backup singers & instruments.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 01:55:58 pm »

I spotted a KT quad comp on CL for $350 out of Portland. 

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:12:13 pm »

Need two channels for vocal subgroup.  I've read quite a bit about the RNC and there seems to be a love/hate thing out there.  Not that there's really hate, but people saying they've tried them and they're not all that the lovers claim they are.  I don't know why that is.

My memory of the 1066 is pretty vague as it was several years ago.  That's why I was wondering if it's much of an improvement over the 166/266.  They list for quite a bit more, but seem to be not much more on the used market.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Scott Stephens

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:50:15 pm »

I have both the dbx 1066 and the 166, both are and have been fine for several years. But I also have the Ashley CLX 52. It is really nice and can be gotten used for $100 or so or new at Full Compass for $300 or so.
Compressors are great in almost any flavor, just don't crush the crap out of everything.
scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 24 queries.