ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Super quiet female Vocalist  (Read 10474 times)

John Penkala

Re: Super quiet female Vocalist
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »

Or a vocal coach to help her develop strength and projection.

John

Ideally. But the OP seems to eluded that changing the source isn't an option.

peter dakin

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »

Or a vocal coach to help her develop strength and projection.

John

She's a fairly new artist to me, so once we've a good working relationship, this will be the first chat. However in the meantime I must be seen to be getting it right, rather than her! She's the star, I'm the hired professional!

To other comments, she currently has a "mildly damp" in-ear mix, I've tried her with loads and hardly any level of herself, dry mixes, completely wet mixes, compression, no compression etc.
Most to no avail, compression just enables her to go louder for those loud moments, rather than holding back the actual rare semi loud bits she does.

Heil were top of my list, with a side recommendation of a d:facto2 by DPA, however not so sure of that one, as specs look similar to that of a 105, which I've tried and doesn't work. Might as well put a 105 on the hi-hat and have her sing 5m away. Sounds about the same!  :o
GBF is the rule of the day, everything else comes second.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

She's a fairly new artist to me, so once we've a good working relationship, this will be the first chat. However in the meantime I must be seen to be getting it right, rather than her! She's the star, I'm the hired professional!

To other comments, she currently has a "mildly damp" in-ear mix, I've tried her with loads and hardly any level of herself, dry mixes, completely wet mixes, compression, no compression etc.
Most to no avail, compression just enables her to go louder for those loud moments, rather than holding back the actual rare semi loud bits she does.

Heil were top of my list, with a side recommendation of a d:facto2 by DPA, however not so sure of that one, as specs look similar to that of a 105, which I've tried and doesn't work. Might as well put a 105 on the hi-hat and have her sing 5m away. Sounds about the same!  :o
GBF is the rule of the day, everything else comes second.

What is the style of music? Are the drums behind a shield?

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »

I worked with a singer like this some time back.  I found inserting a BBE on her channel helped a lot.  Depending on what you are mixing on I expect there are some modern dynamic EQ plug-ins that could do the same job.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »

Recently started working with a new group and its proving to be a challenge.

Lead singer performs at a whisper, her singing voice is lower than a soft talking voice. She has amazing tone and she sounds incredible, but has no projection or power behind her.

I've moved her over to ears which has been the first step in the right direction, I currently insert a graphic over her voice and "go-to-town" on the offending rings as they pour in.

I've currently got her on a e935 which she loves in her ears, however I'm not feeling it out front. The proximity effect is a little too much, but is great for feedback rejection.

Anyone any recommendations for mic improvements?
The likes of KMS105's or 87 cause more problems than they help, as a lot of shows are on small stages, close to PA.

Obviously the logic fix is the source, but that's not really option!

There's nothing wrong with a 935, and proximity effect is probably your friend in this case.  You've got her right on the mic, I assume?

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »

She's the star...

How can she be a "star" when she doesn't know mic technique, and is apparently frightened by the sound of her own voice?  No mic can fix that if she's not willing to put in some effort on her part.  Been there, dealt with that (diplomatically, of course!)...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »

Ummm because she pays the bills. You might have some success with the the old Greatful Dead wall of sound dual mic technique but it's not terribly telegenic.

How can she be a "star" when she doesn't know mic technique, and is apparently frightened by the sound of her own voice?  No mic can fix that if she's not willing to put in some effort on her part.  Been there, dealt with that (diplomatically, of course!)...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:25:20 PM by Riley Casey »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »

Ummm because she pays the bills. You might have some success with the the old great til dead wall of sound technique but it's not terribly telegenic.

I have dealt with this type of thing also(,super high birdie soprano) one solution that worked was to apply about a 5 to around 11 ms delay on the vocal,any more than 12ms will give an undiserable  flange/chorus effect .
   Carefully increase the effect level, use as little as needed , i gave her no delay inthe monitors. to aviod her backing off more and encouraged her to stay within a half inch of the mic  on axis
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »

Baez sings very quietly.  All 3 vocalists are on Heil PR35's.  The gain settings are 22 for the male, 28 for the female, and 40 db of gain for JB.  I can usually hear the fans on the moving lights through her vocal mic, but rarely have issues with feedback.  That said I am mostly on long line arrays with good pattern control.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »

I am mostly on long line arrays with good pattern control.
That's a nice thing to have, that pattern control. :-)

To the OP: your singer is holding the band back (as a whole) from performing to their greater potential.  If ego/pride is a problem, she's gotta swallow it and do what's best for the group of performers she's with.  Vocal coaching will go a long way to giving her a longer career singing, as well.  Multiple performances without proper rest wreak havoc on the voice.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.