ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Super quiet female Vocalist  (Read 10440 times)

peter dakin

Super quiet female Vocalist
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:38:57 AM »

Recently started working with a new group and its proving to be a challenge.

Lead singer performs at a whisper, her singing voice is lower than a soft talking voice. She has amazing tone and she sounds incredible, but has no projection or power behind her.

I've moved her over to ears which has been the first step in the right direction, I currently insert a graphic over her voice and "go-to-town" on the offending rings as they pour in.

I've currently got her on a e935 which she loves in her ears, however I'm not feeling it out front. The proximity effect is a little too much, but is great for feedback rejection.

Anyone any recommendations for mic improvements?
The likes of KMS105's or 87 cause more problems than they help, as a lot of shows are on small stages, close to PA.

Obviously the logic fix is the source, but that's not really option!

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: Super quiet female Vocalist
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:49:32 AM »

AKG D7?  had very few feedback issues with mine.
oh and most of my use is with female vocals and get great results.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46:07 AM »

Heil PR-22, Audio-Technica AE5400, AKG C535, Shure SM86.

You might want to consider a Crown CM311...

(I'm kind of joking)

Subtlety and dynamics go hand-in-hand to make a great performance.  Your lead singer has to command that stage with her voice...otherwise, it's going to chew her vocal performance up and spit it out.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »

Try her on a Heil PR-35. Plenty of GBF with that mic, and of course, technique.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »

My thought would be to turn the monitor DOWN, which might encourage her to put more oomph behind her sound.

I'm not sure there is a one-size-fits-all technical solution for this
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »

Peter,

Do you use compression on her vocals?  Normally, compression in the monitor mix is a no-no, but hit might just force her to push a little more.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Try her on a Heil PR-35. Plenty of GBF with that mic, and of course, technique.
Yeah, should've put that one on the list, too...
Jordan Wolf
<><

John Penkala

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »

Recently started working with a new group and its proving to be a challenge.

Lead singer performs at a whisper, her singing voice is lower than a soft talking voice. She has amazing tone and she sounds incredible, but has no projection or power behind her.

I've moved her over to ears which has been the first step in the right direction, I currently insert a graphic over her voice and "go-to-town" on the offending rings as they pour in.

I've currently got her on a e935 which she loves in her ears, however I'm not feeling it out front. The proximity effect is a little too much, but is great for feedback rejection.

Anyone any recommendations for mic improvements?
The likes of KMS105's or 87 cause more problems than they help, as a lot of shows are on small stages, close to PA.

Obviously the logic fix is the source, but that's not really option!

Peter,
        I was in a very similar situation a while back. After doing a number of shows with the artist and alot of trial and error, mostly error.  I finally decided to get her alone with a small PA and about 30 vocal mics for an afternoon of trial and error.  I borrowed the majority from friends. After trying everything from 58's to 105's the winner for her voice was the Audix OM6. That mic worked for her.
        I'm not sure what the artist's level is or aspirations are. If they are serious, don't limit the amount spent on a mic to $100. I never understood how every member of a band usually has thousands of dollars invested in personal gear but the singer doesn't want to spend more than $100-$200 for a mic that is arguably the most important input on the show.

JP

Tim Halligan

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »

My thought would be to turn the monitor DOWN, which might encourage her to put more oomph behind her sound.

I have used this kind of Jedi mind trick before with some success with "challenging" vocalists.

Sometimes they can get spooked by hearing themselves too well...especially if the vocal is "high and dry" in the mix.

It can be problematic - especially in wedges - but perhaps reverb on her voice will make her more comfortable.

I'm not sure there is a one-size-fits-all technical solution for this

Indeed.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »

Peter,
        I was in a very similar situation a while back. After doing a number of shows with the artist and alot of trial and error, mostly error.  I finally decided to get her alone with a small PA and about 30 vocal mics for an afternoon of trial and error.  I borrowed the majority from friends. After trying everything from 58's to 105's the winner for her voice was the Audix OM6. That mic worked for her.
        I'm not sure what the artist's level is or aspirations are. If they are serious, don't limit the amount spent on a mic to $100. I never understood how every member of a band usually has thousands of dollars invested in personal gear but the singer doesn't want to spend more than $100-$200 for a mic that is arguably the most important input on the show.

JP

Or a vocal coach to help her develop strength and projection.

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.