ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super quiet female Vocalist  (Read 10441 times)

paul bell

Re: Super quiet female Vocalist
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »

After trying everything from 58's to 105's the winner for her voice was the Audix OM6. That mic worked for her. JP

I was also gonna suggest this mic.

I always advise artists like this to sing like a school teacher trying to reach the kids in the back of the class.

If she's serious about singing and considering this an actual "career" direction for her, she should look into professional vocal/singing lessons.

duane massey

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »

Surprised no one mentioned the EV N/D-series.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »

When I read the OP I thought of the girl in Mazzy Star.

The PR22, AE5400, and KMS105 will certainly make matters worse - sound great, pick up everything in the room.  935 is a good choice.  Never used a PR35.  Have read good things about the PL80A.  OM7 may or may not help your problems - don't know if you will like the sound as much.  SM86 is the only Shure I like, But I've used it only on strong singers and a comparatively quiet stage.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:32:48 AM by Tim Padrick »

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »

PR35 mic would be my choice. we have RC 35 capsules on wireless and the GBF is amazing...the capsule is huge and will pick up a lot of audio, good technique as others have mentioned is also key. but give the PR35 a shot, see if you can borrow one? the Heil mics are amazing.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »

Baez sings very quietly.  All 3 vocalists are on Heil PR35's.  The gain settings are 22 for the male, 28 for the female, and 40 db of gain for JB.  I can usually hear the fans on the moving lights through her vocal mic, but rarely have issues with feedback.  That said I am mostly on long line arrays with good pattern control.

Hello Jason, hope all is well.

I believe you, JB, and Bob Heil have been working together for some time now, but check me if I'm wrong. As I had mentioned above, wonderful mics those PR-35s, better rejection than almost any mic I can think of and they work wonders on low volume vocalists.

To those suggesting the vocalist in question here learn how to use a mic, helpful suggestions might work, but then again, the OP hasn't revealed any names. Let's see how long you last with Maria or J'Lo after you tell them they don't know how to use a mic. eventually you get to a point where the talent, at any level, has developed good or bad habits that won't be changed. We don't break habits, we work with them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

I can usually hear the fans on the moving lights through her vocal mic, but rarely have issues with feedback.  That said I am mostly on long line arrays with good pattern control.

You can't out-mic physics.  If your singer is not producing more volume through their mouthole than other items on stage getting into the mic, you're not going to be able to do much about it.  In a studio, you can have more control of the ambient sounds, but on stage, you can only do so much.

Before changing out hardware, simply talking with the artist can go a long way in solving the problems.  Maybe they don't realize they are singing so softly because nobody ever told them.  Approaching them in the right way will make your job a TON easier.  If you go with the approach that you're going to fix it on your own without including the artist, you've got a huge risk of failure on your hands that will only make you look like you don't know what you're doing.

It's not wrong to have a conversation with them and discuss the issue that you're having.  If you had an artist that insisted on singing off axis into the mic, would you not talk to them about technique before you replaced the mic?  If they are using your gear incorrectly, working with them to use it the right way helps. I once worked with an artist that was used to using a Shure SM55 mic.  Well, for this show, the vocal mic was an SM58.  Their mic technique, since they were used to the SM55 was to point the 58 straight up and sing into the side of it.  Imagine how well that show would have gone had I not had the conversation with the artist immediately when the problem was discovered.

Simply saying that their singing is much quieter than you're used to working and you're having a hard time getting the mic that you've got to pick her voice out from the existing stage volume is often enough to encouragement to get them to push a little more.  If at the same time, you swap out the mic, now the solution is hugely improved.  The artist is happy because they were able to improve.  You look like a hero because you made the sound much better.  Everyone wins.
Brian Jojade

Gary Green

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »

those PR-35s, better rejection than almost any mic I can think of.....
Add another vote for the PR35....stable,rich,smooth.articulate and all those other words we like to use . I haven't come across another dynamic mic that exhibits the same characteristics of this thing. I like it more every time I use it.
I think it should be at the top of the list to try with this person. Another one I use regularly that might fit the situation is the headset DPA4088. .. This one (positioned right) is stunning in its rejection and sonic quality.
Finally , when Levoln Helm last played my venue , the foh guy was talking about how weak his voice had been becoming and that attempts to pull his voice out were just catching more kit. I suggested he use one of my OM6 s. It worked great ! I think that is what they used until he left us - not sure, but it solved that OP's similar problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.