ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Upcoming event  (Read 9826 times)

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Re: Upcoming event
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:26:14 AM »

One rig my band has ended up playing on several times at festivals during the last couple of years has four SRX 722 over four SRX 728 per side, although outdoors.  I was curious about how it would sound, given how much we discuss this here.  The speakers were tight packed, not set up to cover the potential 300 degrees per side they could do.  As I walked across the lawn while listening, I could definitely hear the combing.  However, for most of the audience (standing in place), though it didn't sound equal everywhere,  it was a fine experience.  Kinda like Ivan mentioned earlier, it sounded like a lot of people expect the PA to sound.  Yes it could have been more hi-fi; no, it was not terrible.  If it were, the provider would not be hired for show after show, year after year.

I dig the 2 per side set up personally, though... I'm with Bob on that. 

Cheers,
Nils

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »

One rig my band has ended up playing on several times at festivals during the last couple of years has four SRX 722 over four SRX 728 per side, although outdoors.  I was curious about how it would sound, given how much we discuss this here.  The speakers were tight packed, not set up to cover the potential 300 degrees per side they could do.  As I walked across the lawn while listening, I could definitely hear the combing.  However, for most of the audience (standing in place), though it didn't sound equal everywhere,  it was a fine experience.  Kinda like Ivan mentioned earlier, it sounded like a lot of people expect the PA to sound.  Yes it could have been more hi-fi; no, it was not terrible.  If it were, the provider would not be hired for show after show, year after year.

I dig the 2 per side set up personally, though... I'm with Bob on that. 

Cheers,
Nils

I was running a show at Seattle's PrideFest this Sunday, and I've been running one of their stages for 8 years now. Previously, used 2 SRX725s per side, and while it was OK... the HF dropped off after about 100-125' since the audience area slopes down away from the stage. I was talking to my A1 about it (who has 722s) and his comment was that the HF dropping off was pretty much the one complaint he has about his 722s. Of course, people see them and are just like "that's it?" - but then he fires it up. Bang.

This year, I upped the DJ stage rig to 4 per side of VT4888. Night. And. Day. Difference. Happy DJ promoter. Happy client (festival director). Happy production manager (also does other major events there at Seattle Center). Happy DJs. Budget increases for next year. And I learned the difference of the -x settings on the I-Tech VerTec presets.

Just get the damn people off my 728s, will ya?!?  :P

-Ray

(edit: idk how I had a random "This year," in there...  :o )
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:27:37 AM by Ray Aberle »
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Kidd

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »

I was running a show at Seattle's PrideFest this Sunday, and I've been running one of their stages for 8 years now. Previously, used 2 SRX725s per side, and while it was OK... the HF dropped off after about 100-125' since the audience area slopes down away from the stage. I was talking to my A1 about it (who has 722s) and his comment was that the HF dropping off was pretty much the one complaint he has about his 722s. Of course, people see them and are just like "that's it?" - but then he fires it up. Bang.

This year, I upped the DJ stage rig to 4 per side of VT4888. Night. And. Day. Difference. Happy DJ promoter. Happy client (festival director). Happy production manager (also does other major events there at Seattle Center). Happy DJs. Budget increases for next year. And I learned the difference of the -x settings on the I-Tech VerTec presets.

Just get the damn people off my 728s, will ya?!? :p

Love the vt4888. I would need to figure out where to place them since I would not be flying in this room. Also, would one per side in in room mentioned work?

-Ray

This year,

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »

Love the vt4888. I would need to figure out where to place them since I would not be flying in this room. Also, would one per side in in room mentioned work?

One per side... of the VT4888? No. I'm not even contemplating anything less then 4/side.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »

I wouldn't contemplate not flying them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

I wouldn't contemplate not flying them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed...  but if the room doesn't have the rigging available, then flying won't happen. Soooo sometimes you work with it. I ground stacked this Sunday on the wings of an SL100- pretty much slaying people right in front of them, we shaded the bottom two boxes 3db, and probably should have cut a bit more. (Flying at my event didn't happen because production manager wasn't able to schedule time DOS to get motors rigged. And we couldn't get anyone in there on stage set day.)

But massive improvement over previous years. I was satisfied. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this but have you ever tried a split PA. Feed the vocals only in some speakers and band only in the others. I tried it where it was insisted I use more boxes then I knew would properly work (splay) per side. I loved the result and would like to use this method more often.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »

A dual PA is the way my rig is normally setup and has been for about 20 years.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »

We ran 6 jbl srx 725 over 6 jbl 4719x for outdoor shows and it would blow your head off, tops powered by qsc rmx 4050hd lows powered by bridged qsc rmx 2450on each 4719 and hefty power distro, sounded amazing. Derek

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »

A dual PA is the way my rig is normally setup and has been for about 20 years.

Tim will be able to speak better as to this, but it sounds like from his experience, either way, the SRX rig in this sized room for this group won't be too kind to the speakers...

Derek, there's no doubt this is a great rig for outdoors, but with the specs given by the OP, coupled by people's experience with the group (and their supporting acts) - yeah.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.