ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturday Night - Gig gone bad  (Read 13013 times)

duane massey

Re: Saturday Night - Gig gone bad
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »

Low-freq feedback onstage (especially if it is coming from the FOH subs) can be difficult to catch from a challenging FOH position. As a performer I have had several experiences with a severe "wrap-around" from a FOH rig where the "whooom" onstage was already deafening before the the FOH guy caught it. In one instance the guy was oblivious to all of our waving and gesturing, until the lead vocalist finally hollered over the mic about it.
It is far more important that you maintain eye contact with the musicians rather than the console. Just a simple fact.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »

Low-freq feedback onstage (especially if it is coming from the FOH subs) can be difficult to catch from a challenging FOH position. As a performer I have had several experiences with a severe "wrap-around" from a FOH rig where the "whooom" onstage was already deafening before the the FOH guy caught it. In one instance the guy was oblivious to all of our waving and gesturing, until the lead vocalist finally hollered over the mic about it.
It is far more important that you maintain eye contact with the musicians rather than the console. Just a simple fact.

Sometimes, it's the room.  I played a large, national chain, well-known (recently closed) "Country" venue in Dallas a number of times over the 18 months it was open. Line array FOH, EIGHT dual 18 subs under the concrete stage, Midas Pro2-TP console, 1000w stage mons + dual 18 Drum sub, and wood facia stage walls.

Sounded freakin' AWESOME out front, but the low end bass "boom/rumble" resonating around the stage from the combined subs was absolutely horrible. We were not IEM back then (different band) so used the stage monitors. Great mix on those too, but it didn't matter WHERE I stood on the stage (I was wireless) that rumble was still there. It became confusing when playing the Low B (5-string bass) because it was hard to tell what I was actually hearing...

Yes, the FOH guy (Stoney Larue's former FOH) came up, listened, tweaked, adjusted and finally gave up saying it was room dynamics. Happened every night we played there... I just had to deal with it...

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »

Someone else has already mentioned Aux feed subs. Are you aware of what that means and what it can do for you? In a nutshell keep everything out of the subs that doesn’t have any sub content, like the vocal mics. This will help a lot with low-end feedback problems. This will probably require you to use the DSP to crossover things.

On a digital console you have a lot of flexibility, learn all about it but set it so you can ignore all of the complexity and concentrate on mixing.

It is easy to miss cues from stage. I caught the tail end of the horn players the other night trying to indicate a change they wanted in the monitors. Outdoor show. This was after a bunch of songs so I though everything was fine and then all of a sudden with no other changes on stage they chose to indicate a need for a change in the middle of a song. And this band took forever to start the next song so why wasn’t there time to ask for the change then. There was even a sound crewmember next to the stage that they could have asked. But they waited till he left because he thought everything was fine at that point. End of rant. 

One monitor suggestion don’t always give them what they ask for usually you need to give them what they should be asking for. The horn players wanted more of themselves in the monitor. I punched their mix up on my headphones and realized that what it sounded like they needed was a little bit more of them selves but a lot less of the vocals. So I brought the vocals down in their mix and brought the horns up a little bit, and they were happy. If you just keep bringing everything up as they ask it can get too loud, sometimes you need to subtractive mix. But I think you said everyone was on IEMs, so just file this part away for the future.

Another trick, I like to tune the system for linearity (what goes in is what comes out) then insert an EQ on the vocal sub group and tweak that for the best gain before feed back. If you EQ the whole system with a vocal mic so you can get the most out of it you usually butcher the sound for the rest of the instruments. I have explained this in more detail in other posts on here.

I hope this helps someone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.