ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM or wireless mic transmitters with no antenna...risk of damage?  (Read 5272 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: IEM or wireless mic transmitters with no antenna...risk of damage?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »

Power producing AF and RF devices are designed to work with a load attached, end of subject. While your transmitter may survive an occasional accidental use without an antenna attached, continued use without a load will eventually cause damage to the power output section of the transmitter. Low output transmitting devices will be less susceptible to failure simply because they ARE low output but best practice should always apply. Newer transmitters generally have permanently attached antenna's eliminating the problem entirely.

Bob L. - N1BRH, 40 years and counting.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »

There are a range of techniques to protect the output devices of amplifiers and transmitters.  With low power devices there are techniques that are nearly foolproof.  Once you start handling serious power it can be hard to provide 100% protection against anything a user may do.

There are also different user expectations.  Short the output of a 4kW RF amp and I'd be expecting it to be dead, and a little shocked if the protection circuitry saved me.

Leave a 30mW IEM transmitter powered up without an antenna for six months, and I'd expect it replaced under warranty if anything didn't work.

.... ..   -... --- -...   -.. .   .-.. -.-- .-.. .   ...- -.- .---- .-.. .--   -.-

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »

I seem to remember a time not so long ago when even power amps didn't like running with either a short or open circuit :-/
Tube (valve) power amps should always have a load, solid state amps don't need a load, but neither type like shorts as I have found over the years  :'(...

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »

There are a range of techniques to protect the output devices of amplifiers and transmitters.  With low power devices there are techniques that are nearly foolproof.  Once you start handling serious power it can be hard to provide 100% protection against anything a user may do.

There are also different user expectations.  Short the output of a 4kW RF amp and I'd be expecting it to be dead, and a little shocked if the protection circuitry saved me.

Leave a 30mW IEM transmitter powered up without an antenna for six months, and I'd expect it replaced under warranty if anything didn't work.

.... ..   -... --- -...   -.. .   .-.. -.-- .-.. .   ...- -.- .---- .-.. .--   -.-

-.-- --- ..- .... .- -- ... .- .-. . ... --- .-- . .. .-. -..

.-- --.- --.- ... ....- ..--- ----.

-... .-. --- .- -.. -.-. .- ... - .- ..- -..- .. .-.. .. .- .-. -.-- .-.. --- .-- .--. --- .-- . .-.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »

-.-- --- ..- .... .- -- ... .- .-. . ... --- .-- . .. .-. -..

.-- --.- --.- ... ....- ..--- ----.

-... .-. --- .- -.. -.-. .- ... - .- ..- -..- .. .-.. .. .- .-. -.-- .-.. --- .-- .--. --- .-- . .-.

:-)  yes, we are a weird lot.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.