ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions On This Set Up  (Read 4783 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Opinions On This Set Up
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

What do you guys think of this "set up"?

PS

It's not mine...so fire away

Thanks

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: Opinions On This Set Up
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »

The splay of the cabinets could rotate down a few degrees.

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »

What do you guys think of this "set up"?

Its hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but is that a delay speaker 25ft directly in front of the "line array"?

Also is that an HVAC unit installed in the stage wing?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

I would think more down angle on the FOH to cover closer to the stage, but I can't really see the cabinets and how they relate to the back of the room. Have you done any testing or taken any measurements?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »

I find the lack of a scale of room width (depth in the photo) makes it hard to give even a WAG. If those are 4' x 8' risers, however, then I would estimate a 32' wide stage.  That makes the room width 100' +, (maybe 150') so a side fill array isn't out of the question, nor a delay speaker. The arrays look like the are tipped up, but maybe there is a balcony area at the rear of the space (to the left in the picture).

Is this a church, or a meeting room?  That's a dang big Da-Lite fast-fold screen lurking on the far wall, if I have my perspective right.  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »

I'm hoping you either have a balcony or stadium seating in the back or some really really tall people in the crowd. Otherwise your top line array cabinets are just hitting the back wall wasting energy and possibly causing slap back.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »

From lighting perspective interesting house light choice, the cans are full color mixing.  The moving head wash lights on the front truss would be more suited eye candy upstage

The chain attatchment to the truss is inappropriate and wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

Also a screen that big, if it is a daLite and not tensioned is going to have sag after a couple months.  Stewart seems to be the only people that can get big roll screens to not sag. 

And he array aiming looks like crap - not sure why it is the way it is

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »

From lighting perspective interesting house light choice, the cans are full color mixing.  The moving head wash lights on the front truss would be more suited eye candy upstage

I'm guessing they were trying for the followspot fake with a moving head, which if is the case they will be very disappointed, and replace the front with proper wash fixtures rather than spots.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »

(Snip)

I respectfully suggest that what you see is a projector, not a chain motor. (I had to blow up the shot to tell.). If you are referring to the use of chain to suspend the truss, I agree with you. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »

I was looking at the use of chain to suspend the truss. Specifically how it is only attached to the top chord and there is no basket with steel tex or a bracket designed to clamp the truss.  I did see the projector though... 

I also just question the project management.  There seems to be a lot technology in that room for dust making operations to not have concluded. 

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

I was looking at the use of chain to suspend the truss. Specifically how it is only attached to the top chord and there is no basket with steel tex or a bracket designed to clamp the truss.  I did see the projector though... 

I also just question the project management.  There seems to be a lot technology in that room for dust making operations to not have concluded. 

+1 the chain looks like they just got a chain from lowes or something.  Hopefully they put safety cables on the fixture as well as some aircraft cable as a backup to the main chain.

Having technology in the room at the same time as dust is unavoidable sometimes but, at least leave the plastic on it and tape it up to seal it. I do that with speakers all the time, but I would never do it without a cover.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 02:23:49 AM »

Either A; I'ts too late at night or 2; I've had too much to drink, but I see none of what you see.  I see a picture totally out of context so there's no way to know if this is under construction, in the middle of a remodel, being torn down or just some photoshopped crap.  How anyone can look at that pic and draw any conclusion is beyond me. But post it on the internet and you'll get all kinds of opinions.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »

That was a picture from when this church was still under construction. Not sure of dimensions, but it seats about 500. There is no balcony. The lights have not yet been hung in this picture.

I was referring more to the speaker hangs. The church folks decided they would do this whole install themselves. I had no part.

There are 2 hangs of 4 and 2 hangs of 3 VRX932 with 2 xti6002 running each hang. There is also 1 VP7212 delayed speaker about 15ft in front of the main speakers with 1 more VP7212 as a center downfill.

Maybe this pic will give better perspective. Sorry for quality

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »

That was a picture from when this church was still under construction. Not sure of dimensions, but it seats about 500. There is no balcony. The lights have not yet been hung in this picture.

I was referring more to the speaker hangs. The church folks decided they would do this whole install themselves. I had no part.

There are 2 hangs of 4 and 2 hangs of 3 VRX932 with 2 xti6002 running each hang. There is also 1 VP7212 delayed speaker about 15ft in front of the main speakers with 1 more VP7212 as a center downfill.

Maybe this pic will give better perspective. Sorry for quality

Did church members do the system design, too?  The only thing I can see that looks like a safety issue is the use of the chain slings to hang the truss, and the way the truss was hung (already mentioned).  Chain slings must be removed from service annually and inspected before returning them to service.  This is a OSHA requirement.  Wire rope slings do not have this requirement, IIRC.

It's easy to pick on this install based on the picture but in fairness I've seen installs from "folks who should know better" that are this silly (or worse).  Fraud AV, anyone?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »

Did church members do the system design, too?  The only thing I can see that looks like a safety issue is the use of the chain slings to hang the truss, and the way the truss was hung (already mentioned).  Chain slings must be removed from service annually and inspected before returning them to service.  This is a OSHA requirement.  Wire rope slings do not have this requirement, IIRC.

I believe you are right. However how many churches actually follow this stuff anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.