ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions on sm87a?  (Read 7033 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: opinions on sm87a?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »

It certainly is all subjective.  However, when I am buying a piece of gear one of my strong considerations is used resale value, even if I am buying new.  The Shure mics in general - especially the Betas - have a high resale value.  I have owned 4 Beta 87 's ( the original super cardoid pattern) for over 10 years.  Not only are they very rugged for road use (never had a single problem) but I find them very useful in recording.  From micing acoustic instrument - pianos, brass, wind, strings etc. to choirs.  Excellent overheads for drums to even amps.  They are a little tricky for a super load stage setting such as a rock concert, but for acoustic settings and Christian music like we do, they are superb.  But like David said, it is a matter of opinion.     

Ive heard betas, imo they sound like they're  too hot when used too close, might have been the engineer.
 I  have auditioned the sm87a on 2 different systems with strip eq set flat
they do sound good but a little over emphsized  high end vocally.
Reminds me of the vocal sound on some contemporary music with too much "air " in the vocal
 I would like to ck out an sm86, i know its an older build but.....
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »

Mics are tools. That being said, it's about finding the right tool for the job. No two voices are the same which means 1 mic probably won't suit all that use it. It is not a bad idea to have several options available. I have a series of mics that I think are the bee's knee's for most people that use it, but for me it sounds like ass. I used a dynamic mic for a recent recording I did simply because it sounded better for me.

The short of it is, yes it will sound good for a number of folks that use it. For some others, not so much. As for live use, it will work fine.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

Mics are tools. That being said, it's about finding the right tool for the job. No two voices are the same which means 1 mic probably won't suit all that use it. It is not a bad idea to have several options available. I have a series of mics that I think are the bee's knee's for most people that use it, but for me it sounds like ass. I used a dynamic mic for a recent recording I did simply because it sounded better for me.

The short of it is, yes it will sound good for a number of folks that use it. For some others, not so much. As for live use, it will work fine.

Yes very much like guitar/ string combinations.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Adam Greene

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »

Ive heard betas, imo they sound like they're  too hot when used too close, might have been the engineer.
 I  have auditioned the sm87a on 2 different systems with strip eq set flat
they do sound good but a little over emphsized  high end vocally.
Reminds me of the vocal sound on some contemporary music with too much "air " in the vocal
 I would like to ck out an sm86, i know its an older build but.....

You can't use them right up close like dynamic mics.  What they do well is pickup even a soft vocalist very well.  They will not be good for all vocalist - but what mic is?

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »

You can't use them right up close like dynamic mics.

Sure you can.  They're designed as a vocal mic.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:50:33 AM by Andrew Makinson »
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Adam Greene

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »

Sure you can.  There designed as a vocal mic.

What I'm saying is they are not great sounding up close.  Lot more "P" sounds than let's say an SM86.  I teach folks that are using them whether wired or wireless to back off a couple of inches.   

Adam Greene

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »

Meant to say an SM58.  An 86 is also a condenser mic I believe.  Although I've never used that model. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.