ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure sm87a need opinions  (Read 3045 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Shure sm87a need opinions
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »

I am considering buying an sm87a for male vocals, live use with  floor monitors, opinions?
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Re: Shure sm87a need opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »

I am considering buying an sm87a for male vocals, live use with  floor monitors, opinions?

We have two of them. Great mics, but very hot. I went back to dynamics.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »

I strongly prefer the sm86 to the beta 87.  I also like the sennheiser 935.  Both great with floor monitors and sound great on a good voice.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:33 PM »

I like them a lot for vocals, most of the time I tend to prefer Sennheiser mics but I like the 87.. I do not like the beta 87 however, (or the beta58 either).

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »

Can sound good.  If you have blaring amps or a drum kit right behind they can be a pain unless your gating of some sort.  Just like using a KMS 105 from that point.  You have to really watch your wedge placement as well.  If your going handheld... forget about it.  If you can bolt the thing down on a stand you stand a chance.  It's great for jazz artist who have great technique and a quiet stage.  Side note, it is one of my favorite non-boom podium mics. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »

Can sound good.  If you have blaring amps or a drum kit right behind they can be a pain unless your gating of some sort.  Just like using a KMS 105 from that point.  You have to really watch your wedge placement as well.  If your going handheld... forget about it.  If you can bolt the thing down on a stand you stand a chance.  It's great for jazz artist who have great technique and a quiet stage.  Side note, it is one of my favorite non-boom podium mics.

I use the SM87 along Audix and Rode condensers on stage handheld all the time with wedge monitors, no issues if you take your time to get used to how they react. Condensers for handheld use on live stages is becoming more and more popular with the cost coming down on many, and the quality going up both sound and the fact they don't usually break from one drop anymore.

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:02 AM »

I have a couple of 87a’s, and I like them more than the Beta87s. Nice detailed tone. However, they are sensitive and have a wide pattern. You MUST have the monitor off to one side, and as has already been been mentioned, this mic is not a good mic to roam around with, unless the stage is really quiet. All in all I think it’s a great vocal mic and gives more polish than the standard 58 sound.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »

We used to use the SM87a a lot for singers until we realized that we didn’t want to hear a lot of singers that clearly.

If you have a good singer a good mic is great to have if you have singers who aren’t so great you probably don’t want to hear them that clearly. As a default we have switched to the old standard SM58. I little bit muddy can work great for some people.

I have been liking the Beta 57 lately. The proximity effect isn’t as much as the SM58 and if you have someone talking and singing I find it to be clearer.

We still have a bunch of the SM87a. Because occasionally you work with some good singers.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »

"We used to use the SM87a a lot for singers until we realized that we didn’t want to hear a lot of singers that clearly."

Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are. ;D

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »

I'm not a big fan of the SM87a, much prefer the 87c model to it, and pretty much dislike the Beta87 entirely.

There was a suggestion upthread about the SM86, which I own, use and like.  See if you can audition an 86 in a real world situation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.