ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drumset Settings??? Gate and Compression  (Read 9025 times)

Cristian Good

Drumset Settings??? Gate and Compression
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit new here so I'm not exactly sure where to post this but I was having some questions on kit compression and gate settings, specifically the snare. I have an 01v96i which I know is pretty small scale but it works for what I need it for. The snare is a deeper snare and I'm using 2 Shure beta 98h/c for the top and the bottom. I have the phase on the bottom reversed. Each mic is about and inch away from their respective head.

The biggest problem I'm having is that when the kit player plays a rimshot I get a nice loud crack, which is awesome. However when he plays just a regular note I can't hear it so I have to turn it up and then when there's a rimshot it sounds like a gunshot. Any way to help fix this?

To be honest I will take any advice I can get but I'm really curious on numbers. I've already read a lot of articles about how to do it but would some of you guys be willing to give away actual numbers and settings that work for you? That would be great so I could try a variety. Also an explanation behind those numbers would be awesome. However I will take any advice I can get. I'm open to learning!!! Thanks!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Drumset Settings??? Gate and Compression
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit new here so I'm not exactly sure where to post this but I was having some questions on kit compression and gate settings, specifically the snare. I have an 01v96i which I know is pretty small scale but it works for what I need it for. The snare is a deeper snare and I'm using 2 Shure beta 98h/c for the top and the bottom. I have the phase on the bottom reversed. Each mic is about and inch away from their respective head.

The biggest problem I'm having is that when the kit player plays a rimshot I get a nice loud crack, which is awesome. However when he plays just a regular note I can't hear it so I have to turn it up and then when there's a rimshot it sounds like a gunshot. Any way to help fix this?

To be honest I will take any advice I can get but I'm really curious on numbers. I've already read a lot of articles about how to do it but would some of you guys be willing to give away actual numbers and settings that work for you? That would be great so I could try a variety. Also an explanation behind those numbers would be awesome. However I will take any advice I can get. I'm open to learning!!! Thanks!!!

You'd need a really fast limiter/compressor to fix this and I'm not sure you'd be 100% happy with the result.  I presume the problem is with the top mic?  Move it away from where the drummer hits the rim.

What did the drummer say when you talked to him about this?

As the mixerperson, it's our job to ride levels when the 'artiste' is unable to.  I understand why you want to automate the process (I use compression on snare drums, but usually because the snare hits are LOUD compared to the rim shot), but sometimes it's simpler to use your fingers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:25:08 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Miguel Angel Castro Rios

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Hey guys,

I usually play around 9db of gain reduction, depending on the drummer and material. Sometimes just 6db is enough.

If you have read some material and already know how it works, then I'd recommend practicing with some tracks at home to get a feel of what the gate does and how it affects the sound. Same for the compressor.

Or if you have some editing software and a couple of speakers you could practice with that for hours. The purpose would be to train your ears. Just remmember that too much gain in a live situation can create feedback. But I don't think that's gonna be a problem, I mean you've already mentioned that you can bring the snare level up without a problem and (no feedback) the only problem was the rim shot (still no feedback).

Just practice to get a nice sound, and make it sound natural. 

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »

Hey guys,

Compression, gating, and numbers are not the right places to start.  I'll bet you this is what's happening:  The rimshot is picked up almost all by the top mic.  A full hit is picked up more equally by both mics, leading to interaction between the mics.  Contrary to the popular canard, simply reversing the polarity on the bottom mic isn't a guaranteed fix for this.  The result is a very complex comb filter.  Try the polarity on the bottom mic both ways.

Mute the bottom mic.  How does the snare drum sound now?  Sometimes one mic on top is all you need.  Does the full hit volume compete better with the rimshot now?  If it doesn't, move the top mic away from the point on the rim where the rimshot occurs.

If the sound of the top mic alone isn't giving you enough of that sizzle, bring the bottom back in.  Usually it doesn't need to be as loud as the top.  Since you're only looking for high end out of this mic, you can high-pass the crap out of it, at least 4-500 Hz or even higher.  Turn the high pass up until you feel like the bottom mic is no longer messing with the "body" of the top mic, continuing to flip the polarity back and forth.

I don't believe in "magic numbers."  Learn how to f :) :)k around with it until it sounds right and you'll never need to remember any numbers.   ;D

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:40 AM »

Before you go crazy with gates and compressors, let's back up just a bit. I didn't recognize the mic you're using as one I would use for a snare so I did a little research.

Shure doesn't recommend the 98H/C for use with drums, they recommend this nice little clip on mic for just what I've used it for once or twice in the past. They recommend it for BRASS instruments, hence the clip on and flex feature. Please run a test with a mic on a boom just off the back edge of the snare rim with the mic located at an angle and about 2-3 inches above the snare using an SM-57, Heil PR-22. Don't mic the bottom of the snare, and see if that doesn't cure your problem. Keep in mind the mic you use will have to have good rear rejection characteristics or an excess of cymbals may bleed into the mic. Let us know how you make out.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »

mic on a boom just off the back edge of the snare rim with the mic located at an angle and about 2-3 inches above the snare using an SM-57, Heil PR-22. Don't mic the bottom of the snare

Bingo!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »

Compression, gating, and numbers are not the right places to start.  I'll bet you this is what's happening:  The rimshot is picked up almost all by the top mic.  A full hit is picked up more equally by both mics, leading to interaction between the mics.  Contrary to the popular canard, simply reversing the polarity on the bottom mic isn't a guaranteed fix for this.  The result is a very complex comb filter.  Try the polarity on the bottom mic both ways.

Mute the bottom mic.  How does the snare drum sound now?  Sometimes one mic on top is all you need.  Does the full hit volume compete better with the rimshot now?  If it doesn't, move the top mic away from the point on the rim where the rimshot occurs.

If the sound of the top mic alone isn't giving you enough of that sizzle, bring the bottom back in.  Usually it doesn't need to be as loud as the top.  Since you're only looking for high end out of this mic, you can high-pass the crap out of it, at least 4-500 Hz or even higher.  Turn the high pass up until you feel like the bottom mic is no longer messing with the "body" of the top mic, continuing to flip the polarity back and forth.

I don't believe in "magic numbers."  Learn how to f :) :)k around with it until it sounds right and you'll never need to remember any numbers.   ;D

I think this, Craig.  I think your observation about the snare bottom is a likely suspect.

To integrate Bob L's comments - I've been known to mic the snare SHELL (or at least it looks like that's what I'm doing) because the position gives me the blend to head and snares sound I want.  It's all about the ears (thank you, Sir George Martin) and in this case the microphone is the ear.  If it isn't hearing what you want, move it to where it does.  If there's a cancellation, turn off mics until you find the offender(s) and then experiment to find better locations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »

Before you go crazy with gates and compressors, let's back up just a bit. I didn't recognize the mic you're using as one I would use for a snare so I did a little research.

Shure doesn't recommend the 98H/C for use with drums, they recommend this nice little clip on mic for just what I've used it for once or twice in the past. They recommend it for BRASS instruments, hence the clip on and flex feature. Please run a test with a mic on a boom just off the back edge of the snare rim with the mic located at an angle and about 2-3 inches above the snare using an SM-57, Heil PR-22. Don't mic the bottom of the snare, and see if that doesn't cure your problem. Keep in mind the mic you use will have to have good rear rejection characteristics or an excess of cymbals may bleed into the mic. Let us know how you make out.

Shure does recommend the Beta 98H/C for drums see the below quote from Shures web site.

The BETA®98H/C and the wireless version WB98H/C are premium cardioid condenser instrument microphones that clamp onto the bell of wind instruments or onto the rim of percussion instruments. The integrated gooseneck and ratcheting swivel joint allows the mic to be easily positioned and secured, and an isolation shock-mount reduces the transmission of instrument 'key noise' and other mechanical noise. A gooseneck angle brace is included to provide better retention of the microphone placement during more active performances.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »

Shure does recommend the Beta 98H/C for drums see the below quote from Shures web site.

The BETA®98H/C and the wireless version WB98H/C are premium cardioid condenser instrument microphones that clamp onto the bell of wind instruments or onto the rim of percussion instruments. The integrated gooseneck and ratcheting swivel joint allows the mic to be easily positioned and secured, and an isolation shock-mount reduces the transmission of instrument 'key noise' and other mechanical noise. A gooseneck angle brace is included to provide better retention of the microphone placement during more active performances.

Percussion, yes.
Snare is "special", as you need to merge the sounds from both heads.
Personally, I'm a little old-school. I still use the ND/408, about 3" above the top rim, 2" away from the drum, and angled towards the rim on the oposite side.  Adjust to taste. I get rimshots nicely, not overpowered, and the snares are always there.
If the drum is deeper than the "standard", I'll throw a 57 on the bottom to make sure the snares don't dissapear. I'll rig it, but not use it unless I need to. (I hate gong on stage once the show starts)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:09:40 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

Kevin,
I agree that it promotes the mic for drums in it's ad, but I believe that to be based on it's ability to clamp on to the rim and nothing more. Sales speak as we say here. In other Shure literature, and when speaking with Shure, and based on my limited use of the mic, I base my statements on the list at the link below.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3703
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:14:57 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.