ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shootout for PreAmp quality (A&H, Soundcraft, and Presonus)  (Read 13787 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Shootout for PreAmp quality (A&H, Soundcraft, and Presonus)
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »

And so with the consumers driving the sound that they like or hear, Would this be more of a question based on the quality of the material being used to playback the selected piece.  Use of the consumer MP3 player and low cost ear buds or headphones.   Does this sound come from the low cost consumer sound that they are listening to because it is what every one is doing and listening to ?    When you visit some of the purist Audio sites do you here otherwise? 

Is the compression tools,  MP3 at 128 bit levels,  and this is the sound they hear and want to hear when they see the shows? 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »

And so with the consumers driving the sound that they like or hear, Would this be more of a question based on the quality of the material being used to playback the selected piece.  Use of the consumer MP3 player and low cost ear buds or headphones.   Does this sound come from the low cost consumer sound that they are listening to because it is what every one is doing and listening to ?    When you visit some of the purist Audio sites do you here otherwise? 

Is the compression tools,  MP3 at 128 bit levels,  and this is the sound they hear and want to hear when they see the shows? 

The answer is this. Put 1000 cows in a field and a small number of them will step around the crap. However, the vast majority will except that those steamy piles are just something they can use to keep their feet warm.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »

The console is rarely, if ever, the limiting factor in show audio quality. Everything else (and I mean everything, even the number of hours sleep the engineer had...) has the potential to have a much greater impact.
Riedel Communications

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »

The console is rarely, if ever, the limiting factor in show audio quality. Everything else (and I mean everything, even the number of hours sleep the engineer had...) has the potential to have a much greater impact.

I agree.  I doubt that anyone would notice the difference if it was mixed on an XR600.

Steve.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »

[quote

[/quote]

Live performances give the opportunity to demonstrate a more enveloping/moving/artistic experience. Live performances attract fans who want more than what they get from any imperfect recording medium.

As audio professionals we should promote the word "concert" vs. the now-common "show". "Concert" invokes virtuosity. "Show" could be a chimp with a banjo...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:27:16 PM by Jim McKeveny »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 08:23:57 AM »

"Show" could be a chimp with a banjo...

I would pay to see that!

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

I held a shootout with several low end digital boards.

The bad news was after shooting them none successfully passed audio.

The good news was none of them shot back.

It should be noted that no one in our party was accurate enough to shoot just a pre amp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »

So a little bit of information about the market here, People tend to get used with those harsh JBL sounds. In the other words, they dont like those warm sound. Last time i was out on the road with EV QRX and GL2400 console. People disfavor them because its too warm for their ears. So in conclusion, I need to deliver them with punchy, in-front-of-the-face sound. harshness is bearable by them

The "sound" is more the speaker system tuning and EQ settings and far less about model of mixer. QRX can be nice a bright. I remember Evan taming down the HF after loading the EV settings in his DSP for bi-amping them. It doesn't have to be harsh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »

Tuning is the key to success, and I haven't heard the word harsh here in quite some time. Even Evan will admit he has become fond of a good JBL system when properly tuned.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.