ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitstar wars  (Read 14706 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Guitstar wars
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

I thought with the very large number of guitar players who are a BE or work sound also that it might be fun to play guitstar wars. Not about who plays best, but a chance to show off that noise maker you own.

The rules are simple. No group shots, one shot at a time.

Here's my first shot. Been sick and depressed so I bought it yesterday.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
Re: Guitstar wars
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »

So Bob, is the idea post display ads...? 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

Here's my first shot. Been sick and depressed so I bought it yesterday.
Bob,
Hope the guitar cheers you up, looks like a beauty.

Sweetwater has a better photographer than me, but I'll still follow your rule, one guitar at a time- I'll start with Gatu (Guitar Amp Test Unit). It started out as a double neck with an SG shape body, as you can see in the picture of the one in the case found online. My high school friend had one, but just wanted the 12 string on a Les Paul like body, so I turned one out for him in shop class 1974, no photos of that, dammit. The remainder of the guitar was my payment, I cut it down to minimum size, it's primary use being around the shop for the latter part of the 1980s, early 1990s. Somewhere along the line the Melody Maker pickup was put on, then I added the whammy bar and reversed it for left hand playing. The whammy bar required putting on the slide out tail extension to keep it stable.

The guitar in original shape would be collectable, the split-up versions not so much, but it has a lot of sentimental value.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:00:54 PM by Art Welter »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »

This laminated walnut and maple guitar was perhaps my best high school shop project, it uses a Hofner neck purchased from Carvin for $99, a lot of money back in 1974. Originally it used Carvin pickups, but I replaced them with used Gibson P 90s shortly after building it. Sounds great, stays in tune, and is quite lightweight, but does not get played much since I converted to left hand playing.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »

A year after graduating from high school I amputated two fingers and half of the thumb on my left hand, sometime around 1977 I found a beautiful piece of Honduras Mahogany and and fashioned this lefty guitar, using a Les Paul Jr. (looks similar to the SG in the OP) neck that had been completely broken off a guitar in a stage accident, and the headstock was missing.

The guitar sat mostly unused for years, as learning to play left handed when I could hardly play right handed was more work than I wanted to take on while my sound career was taking off. After sufficient decades passed, I started playing it again. Unfortunately, I now have no cartilage left in my left wrist, so playing is painful after a few minutes, so the Theramin has become my instrument of choice.  Oh well, the guitars are still nice to look at, and I can still play slide on the right handed ones...

Art
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:04:50 PM by Art Welter »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »

This is one I built in 1995 according to the label inside.  Almost twenty years ago - I have no idea where the time goes!

A copy of a Selmer Modele Jazz as used by Django Reinhardt.

A year after graduating from high school I amputated two fingers and half of the thumb on my left hand......    and I can still play slide on the right handed ones...

Ouch.  That's painful enough just to read it.  Have you heard of the Hawaiian Steel guitarist Billy Hew Len?  He lost his left hand to a planing machine but used a steel attached to his wrist with a sort of leather glove and could play very well. 

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:27:50 PM by Steve M Smith »

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »

Mid '60s Greco Srhrike, lovely green sunburst, "V" pickups, fake bigsby.  MIJ, bought by a soldier in Viet Nam, sold to me by his sister in the '90s.  Bridge cover has "Kim" engraved.  The oddest of my 60+ guitars.

-Tim T

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »

This is one I built in 1995 according to the label inside.  Almost twenty years ago - I have no idea where the time goes!
A copy of a Selmer Modele Jazz as used by Django Reinhardt.

Ouch.  That's painful enough just to read it.  Have you heard of the Hawaiian Steel guitarist Billy Hew Len?  He lost his left hand to a planing machine but used a steel attached to his wrist with a sort of leather glove and could play very well. 
Steve,

Nice work!

The difference between Django,  Billy Hew Len and me was they could play well before they became digitally challenged :^).

I love those pickups on Tim's Srhrike, never saw ones like that before.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »

Mine doesn't have the vintage flair that some of the others have posted, but here is my baby: 20th Anniversary PRS Standard 24, loaded with Dimarzio pickups, set up for 12-60 strings and typically plugged into a '86 Mesa Mark III Head/Oversized 4x12 :)

Edit: Old picture, original owner had loaded it with EMGs for some reason...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:11:09 PM by Spenser Hamilton »
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »

That's the fender ultra, that thing plays like a beauty.  This was my dads baby that he worked my mom into letting him buy for selling a custom BC Rich back in the mid 80's.  I still have the original invoice, build sheet, and a personal letter from the builder on how much he "drooled" over the guitar after he built it.  Still trying to track it down to this day.  Someday I hope it comes home....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:53:30 PM by Jerome Casinger »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:47:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.