ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sometimes all you can do is shake your head  (Read 4212 times)

Scott Stephens

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

Hi all,
   Please allow me to vent for a minute. Last weekend we provided an SRX system with an LS9-32  for a Charity Event and yes, we got paid and yes, we do cut them a break because they call us every year and love us. However, this year the "house band" was a group of good ol' boys who have played together for years and have a little theater and host several shows a month. All fine and good.     But it was raining so hard the animals were pairing up, but we had a mostly covered stage; the front got wet so we moved things back a bit.
   Moving on, we do some minor ringing out of the monitors. And the band absolutely raves about the clarity and volume. Infact, they were so impressed offered us the job of doing their theater gig...for $100. He was serious. I just looked at the guy and shook my head and told him that it was not 1960 anymore.

Jordan Wolf

Re: Sometimes all you can do is shake your head
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »

Hi all,
   Please allow me to vent for a minute. Last weekend we provided an SRX system with an LS9-32  for a Charity Event and yes, we got paid and yes, we do cut them a break because they call us every year and love us. However, this year the "house band" was a group of good ol' boys who have played together for years and have a little theater and host several shows a month. All fine and good.     But it was raining so hard the animals were pairing up, but we had a mostly covered stage; the front got wet so we moved things back a bit.
   Moving on, we do some minor ringing out of the monitors. And the band absolutely raves about the clarity and volume. Infact, they were so impressed offered us the job of doing their theater gig...for $100. He was serious. I just looked at the guy and shook my head and told him that it was not 1960 anymore.
Yikes!  Low-ball, and probably under-the-table, too.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »

I had a similar call last week, I was recommended, and received a call for July fourth.  I am booked for 3 days straight, but have an opening on the 4th believe it or not.  Wants me to drive and hour for the gig, private party, on the fourth, totals about 9hrs with set up etc. Says he will pay me $200 bucks.  I actually laughed on the phone.  I explained with drive time, and my level of equipment I cant get him anything for that price let alone my full rig, on top of it being a holiday and time away from my family.

He said hes already received quotes for that much, I told him he was getting a deal and needs to take it, but time away from my family on a holiday, driving time, and my equipment worth is worth far more than $200.

I doubt he will ever call back, I actually felt bad for laughing for a split second like I did, after the call was over. 

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:34:03 AM »

Hi all,

"... you mean fifteen hundred, right?"

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »

"... you mean fifteen hundred, right?"

-Ray

I had a little victory in this vein the other day by fighting fire with fire.

We'll call them the "nickle and dime charity", I cut them a break but not to much to undermine anyone, quoted them $X75, they come back with "Hey can you do it for $x50?". I said sure $x50, without the wireless mic.... the reply back was... "$x75 it is!". Thank You N&D Charity.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »

I had a little victory in this vein the other day by fighting fire with fire.

We'll call them the "nickle and dime charity", I cut them a break but not to much to undermine anyone, quoted them $X75, they come back with "Hey can you do it for $x50?". I said sure $x50, without the wireless mic.... the reply back was... "$x75 it is!". Thank You N&D Charity.
Love it, Mike!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »

Love it, Mike!

Had the same sorta discussion recently. Quote was for $6300- asked if I could discount to their budgeted five, ok, made it work. They come back, "Can we cut a stage and save at least another $500?" - and I was just like "well, cut the stage, and I lower the discount amount to keep us at the $5k budget." And they were OK with that. Discount is now barely $250. :-P

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.