ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about X32 Rack and P16  (Read 16508 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Questions about X32 Rack and P16
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

Jason, I think Jon was asking how to get STEREO mixes into his IEM transmitters...

Yes I figured. All you do is link them just as you would a stereo channel. The First Channel EX: Buss 1 then becomes the level, Bus  2 would the become the pan.

Both Bus Mixes and Main Mix can be routed to any of the outputs either XLR or 1/8 (and even the RCA)

Also be careful what you are calling an AUX on this board. the monitor/IEM mixes (along with group mixes etc) are Buss mixes, AUX on the x32 in referring to AUX outputs (1/8 and rca) or the 1/8 & RCA inputs. There is no AUX as far as monitor/descrte mixing on this board.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »

Also be careful what you are calling an AUX on this board. the monitor/IEM mixes (along with group mixes etc) are Buss mixes, AUX on the x32 in referring to AUX outputs (1/8 and rca) or the 1/8 & RCA inputs. There is no AUX as far as monitor/descrte mixing on this board.
Understood, but those 1/4" outs ARE labeled as AUX sends in the doc, software and on the board, even if their intended use does not reflect the naming.

I do want to clarify that (at least on the rack/producer models) there are 8 BUS outs (XLR) and 6 AUX outs... removing bus 7/8 (for L/R mains) that leaves stock capability at 6 stereo IEM mixes... ??

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »

Understood, but those 1/4" outs ARE labeled as AUX sends in the doc, software and on the board, even if their intended use does not reflect the naming.

I do want to clarify that (at least on the rack/producer models) there are 8 BUS outs (XLR) and 6 AUX outs... removing bus 7/8 (for L/R mains) that leaves stock capability at 6 stereo IEM mixes... ??

Sorry I meant 1/4". The outputs weather AUX or XLR aren't specifically used for anything. You can route signals to any output.

There are 16 Busses on the X32 platform, They aren't tied to a specific output just like everything else. One thing to keep in mind in the digital word is there is virtual Mixing signal flow things ex: Busses, Groups, DCAs, Martixes etc. But that doesn't mean they have to go to a certain output all of that can be changed nothing is hardwired to a certain point on the board aside from the headphone/talkback and monitoring section.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:45:36 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »

Actually they say "AUX Input" or "AUX Output", not "send."  An important distinction.

There has been a trend in the last 10 years or so to call all the ways out of consoles a "bus".  If it's a fixed level bus it functions like a "subgroup" or "audio group" on an analog mixer, and if it's a 'variable bus' it works like what we called "aux sends" in the analog days.  Note this new nomenclature was applied to analog consoles, too.

For the X32, though, you can think of the AUX outputs as being "auxiliary" to the XLR outputs.  These outputs can be assigned to any bus, matrix, monitor or LRC output.... IOW anything that any XLR could be assigned to.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

Also, since it seems to be overlooked at the moment... the P16 units are simply taking audio channels and mixing them internally for their local outputs.

For clarity: The P16 DOES NOT control the mixer.

You may want to look at the x32 iPad app or Mixing Station app for android for remote control of the console. I think there may be another couple options available as well.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »

Since no one else said it, the answer is yes, you can get six stereo IEM Mixes plus a stereo mix out of an X32 rack with no additional hardware.  That still leaves 4 bus sends to use for effects sends so it's a very efficient way to use the mixer.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »

Since no one else said it, the answer is yes, you can get six stereo IEM Mixes plus a stereo mix out of an X32 rack with no additional hardware.  That still leaves 4 bus sends to use for effects sends so it's a very efficient way to use the mixer.

LOL - thanks for stepping up Brian !!
Now.. I've been playing around with the X32 software (mixer is enroute to band leader, so we'll use my Presonus for this weekend gigs, then X32 next weekend) and I can't figure out how to route the main outs (XLR 7/8) to the IEM mixes on Busses 1-6 and Aux Outputs (Thanks Tim!) 1-6 ...  !!   Is it in the routing tables, or via 7/8 routing on channels themselves or ?? 

I've googled it too.. nothing.   Help/direction much appreciated...  I want to know how to doi this as we don't have much time to swap out the mixer setups..
TIA !!
Steve

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »

LOL - thanks for stepping up Brian !!
Now.. I've been playing around with the X32 software (mixer is enroute to band leader, so we'll use my Presonus for this weekend gigs, then X32 next weekend) and I can't figure out how to route the main outs (XLR 7/8) to the IEM mixes on Busses 1-6 and Aux Outputs (Thanks Tim!) 1-6 ...  !!   Is it in the routing tables, or via 7/8 routing on channels themselves or ?? 

I've googled it too.. nothing.   Help/direction much appreciated...  I want to know how to doi this as we don't have much time to swap out the mixer setups..
TIA !!
Steve

Routing button, 2nd & 3rd tabs "Out 1-16" and "Aux Out".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »

Routing button, 2nd & 3rd tabs "Out 1-16" and "Aux Out".

Thanks Tim... will take a look !

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »

I'd also like to know how (if?) one can route the main outs (7/8) to any of these IEM mixes. I was unable to figure that out using routing or assignments using X32-PC. Main out can be assigned to Matrix sends from home screen but I don't know if those equate to Bus 1-6 or not.

Steve, you're confusing the physical outputs with buses.  A "bus" is not inherently connected to a specific output ("default" is NOT inherent).  Your L/R physical outputs for the PA could just as easily be XLR 1 and 4, or XLR 3 and AUX4....  And they could just as easily be Matrix bus outs as L/R bus outs.

You route bus outputs to physical connectors as I described in my previous post.

Yamaha calls the physical outputs "OutPorts" and now I understand why they chose that nomenclature.  An "output" is a signal, "OutPort" is a physical connection.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.