ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about X32 Rack and P16  (Read 16648 times)

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
Questions about X32 Rack and P16
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »

I have some questions about the X32 Rack for an IEM rig for a 6 piece bluegrass band I'm working with. The band has currently used a Mackie DL1608 for a little over a year now. The Mackie has worked great but the X32 Rack sounds like it will offer a few more features that will make playing more enjoyable for a few of the band members. Ok, heres my questions:

-Stereo mixes
They want to have stereo IEM mixes. There are 8 xlr outputs and 6 1/4" aux outputs on the X32 rack. Is the X32 capable of 6 stereo aux sends using a combo of the xlrs and 1/4" outs?

-FOH from IEM rig
In some situations I would need to be able to run a L+R FOH mix from this unit as well as the 6 stereo aux sends for IEM. The total channel count for all band members is 11 channels. Would I be able to "duplicate" these inputs to different channels so that the band members mixes won't be affected by the FOH channel eq?

-P16
One of the band members hates using the iphone to mix his IEMs. He thinks he will like using the p16. How does this work? Do you assign the p16 to a certain aux send? Will the other 5 members still be able to mix from their iphones? The p16 has some eq and pan control on it. Will this affect every mix if modified from the p16?

-Only using 1 P16
If I'm using only one p16 do I need to still purchase the P16 distribution box? I might get it anyway since more than one band member may want to switch.

I have mixed on the X32 surface a few times but have never put my hands on the X32 Rack version or P16s

Thanks in advance everyone for your help and input

jasonfinnigan

Re: Questions about X32 Rack and P16
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

-Stereo mixes
They want to have stereo IEM mixes. There are 8 xlr outputs and 6 1/4" aux outputs on the X32 rack. Is the X32 capable of 6 stereo aux sends using a combo of the xlrs and 1/4" outs?
Yes, You can route them to either outputs. Download X32-Edit and play around with it.

-FOH from IEM rig
In some situations I would need to be able to run a L+R FOH mix from this unit as well as the 6 stereo aux sends for IEM. The total channel count for all band members is 11 channels. Would I be able to "duplicate" these inputs to different channels so that the band members mixes won't be affected by the FOH channel eq?
Yes, You can do this you will need to go to the config tab on each channel and select the source. Again see X32-Edit to play around with it. You can also enable HA Gain split to give you a pre-amp control of the actual headamp in the setup pages and then each of those channels will have a digital trim.

-P16
One of the band members hates using the iphone to mix his IEMs. He thinks he will like using the p16. How does this work? Do you assign the p16 to a certain aux send? Will the other 5 members still be able to mix from their iphones? The p16 has some eq and pan control on it. Will this affect every mix if modified from the p16?
You can assign anything to it, but sending Aux sends defeated the purpose of the p16, though I have never used them I'd imaging most are just sending Direct outs or post EQ outs of each channel since you said you only have 11 channels you can send all of them to the p16s.

-Only using 1 P16
If I'm using only one p16 do I need to still purchase the P16 distribution box? I might get it anyway since more than one band member may want to switch.
No but it does provide PoE so you don't have to have a power brick on stage which might be nice. Don't know. But it's not required.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »

-P16
IIRC, the default X32 routing for the P16 is first 16 inputs go to P16.  The P16M is standalone and changing ones mix from it does NOT impact any other mix.

-Only using 1 P16
NO.. the distro is generally not needed unless you want/need to power them via CAT5. If you don't use the distro, only the FIRST P16 (if you daisy-chain multiple) is powered via CAT5.. the others require the power supply connected, which is why each comes with a wall-wart power supply.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »

IIRC, the default X32 routing for the P16 is first 16 inputs go to P16.
It's PreEQ of those channels but, yes.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »

with the P16, can you send a group to one channel number on it? Say for instance I have 17 wireless for a musical pit. I want to just send them a mix of the 17, and then give them the option to mix the inputs I'm getting from them for the other 15 channels?
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

with the P16, can you send a group to one channel number on it? Say for instance I have 17 wireless for a musical pit. I want to just send them a mix of the 17, and then give them the option to mix the inputs I'm getting from them for the other 15 channels?
The Routing matrix lets you send any of the 16 mix busses to any of the P16 channels.. so in theory, yes..but I have not tried it.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »

Yes,  anything with the exception of DCAs which aren't actual groups, can be sent to p16 routing.

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies!
I think I was confused in thinking the p16 was really just controlling an aux send but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've downloaded x32 edit and some of this is making more since now. Still unsure how to make a stereo aux?

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies!
I think I was confused in thinking the p16 was really just controlling an aux send but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've downloaded x32 edit and some of this is making more since now. Still unsure how to make a stereo aux?

I assume you are refering to a BUS and not a Aux input, the aux inputs on the board are the 1/4 and RCA Jacks.

Buses are made stereo by linking them on the home page for that channel, only certain channels can be linked, and will also be 1 odd number and 1 even. (ex 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12, 13&14, 15&16 can all be made in to stereo buses)

In X32-Edit if you are on the home screen and click the select button for a buss the link button is under the first little column where it says "IN" and has the level meter.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »

I assume you are refering to a BUS and not a Aux input, the aux inputs on the board are the 1/4 and RCA Jacks.

Buses are made stereo by linking them on the home page for that channel, only certain channels can be linked, and will also be 1 odd number and 1 even. (ex 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 11&12, 13&14, 15&16 can all be made in to stereo buses)

In X32-Edit if you are on the home screen and click the select button for a buss the link button is under the first little column where it says "IN" and has the level meter.

Jason, I think Jon was asking how to get STEREO mixes into his IEM transmitters...  I'm also curious as to the best way to do this on the X32. My assumption is one needs to use 2 bus sends (main or AUX) per IEM mix to satisfy this..  since 7/8 are L/R mains by default, that leaves 3 stereo mixes available on the main busses (1-6) and 3 more by using the 6 Aux outs.

I'd also like to know how (if?) one can route the main outs (7/8) to any of these IEM mixes. I was unable to figure that out using routing or assignments using X32-PC. Main out can be assigned to Matrix sends from home screen but I don't know if those equate to Bus 1-6 or not. 

My band is about to face this issue when the new X32 [Producer] arrives later this week. We have been using mono IEM mixes on my Presonus 16.4.2 for recent gigs.. 

We're also planning on routing the effect returns into the IEM mixes.. which is assume is done by selecting the AuxIn/FxRtn button, select the corresponding effect return, going to home screen and assigning levels to one of the output busses.. ?? And can one send those same effects returns to the 3 stereo mixes going to the AUX outs..

or .. is all of the above.. way wrong to start with?  Console has not arrived yet...!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.