ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie question about crossovers  (Read 2698 times)

Kyle R Forbes

• Erie, PA
newbie question about crossovers
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »

Hi all,
I have two different systems I run for bar gigs and small outside shows. The small system is 4 - 18" subs with a 2 Yamaha club 115V for tops. The bigger system is the same subs, but the top cabs are old audio centron CE-50'S with updated drivers, tri-amped. I use a dbx 234xs to crossover the cabs. I've been using a Mackie CFX20 mixer that has a sub out for everything 75Hz and below. For both system setups I used that to feed the 18's. I figure when i run the bigger setup I'll just add the subs to the low end in the crossover, or run 4 way mono. The problem I ran into was running two way stereo with the Yamaha tops, the crossover seemed to only use the tops for the high end and I had to raise the subs crossover point to get more of the low/mids. I eventually want to get a digital processor, but not the standard driverack pa model, i had one and I didn't like the interface. I would rather get an ashley protea. I'm sorry this is so long and all over the place. Could I "Y" out of the board and send a full range signal to the top cabs and just plug in the subs to the crossover? I considered aux fed subs, but i need all the aux sends for monitor mixes. The board I use now is a Yamaha 32/14FX, and everything is powered by crest pro series amps. I use a Pro9200 stereo for the subs, and a Pro8200 for the tops. I also have Pro-Lite 2.0 amps that have built in crossovers that I could bridge two of those for subs, but I'm not sure if they would get the quality power(imho) that the 9200 is supplying. Thanks for reading all this and I appreciate any help!

Kyle Forbes

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: newbie question about crossovers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »

How is your 234xs set up?  Close up pics of front controls and rear patching would be helpful.  It sounds like things are not set right and/or mis-patched.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kyle R Forbes

• Erie, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »

How is your 234xs set up?  Close up pics of front controls and rear patching would be helpful.  It sounds like things are not set right and/or mis-patched.
I had the mains going into the two inputs, the tops into the high's, and the subs into the lows, but i did leave the mid patch cables plugged into the mid jacks, I'm guessing in hindsight i should have unplugged those so it knew it was running two way. I didn't have to do that with the Driverack.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »

If I recall, there should be an x10 switch on the back of the xover; sounds like it may be enabled.  If it is, make sure nothing is connected to the outputs of the xover when disabling it.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »

The problem I ran into was running two way stereo with the Yamaha tops, the crossover seemed to only use the tops for the high end and I had to raise the subs crossover point to get more of the low/mids.

When using the crossover in 2-way the mode switches on the back panel have to be reconfigured otherwise you will have a big hole in the output where the "mids" usually are.

Kyle R Forbes

• Erie, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

When using the crossover in 2-way the mode switches on the back panel have to be reconfigured otherwise you will have a big hole in the output where the "mids" usually are.
I see that now(face palms a brick multiple times)......
There is my ah ha moment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.