ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: passive wedges  (Read 10457 times)

Thomas Le

Re: passive wedges
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »

IMO That would be a downgrade from the QSC K12s.

Considering that the K12 is plastic, the wood enclosure would sound more "full". Never was a fan of molded speakers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:57 AM »

Compared to the K12 most if the passive MI boxes are going to be garbage (jbl: jrx prx ev: zlx elx). I've recently used the Clair 12am's at a festival for a couple days and they're definitely my favorite small wedge.

I'm sure the current STX offering from JBL is close to par with their 712 and I will second Mike Pyle on the TX1122FM for a more affordable box.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 07:59:03 AM »

Close par is not the words to describe the STX. Better sounding than the SRX, and just as rider friendly. You always get what you pay for.

That said if the OP is on a budget used MRX would be the way to go. Even those have better acceptance than some of the cabinets listed above.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »

I must admit I use 2 EV112's with my Crown XTI4002 and for monitor duty they compare relatively well for the money to my powered wedges - PRX, K series. Surprisingly they match well to the XTI amp also.
 I use them when mains is not as readily available at the front of the stage, if in full sun outside or if being used in certain bars round here where beer spills would be more damaging to powered speakers. I can protect the amp more easily. The EVs are silly cheap but I am surprised how well they sound for monitor duty and how they are holding up. Great for the money- give a couple a try and see if they work for you.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »

Compared to the K12 most if the passive MI boxes are going to be garbage (jbl: jrx prx ev: zlx elx). I've recently used the Clair 12am's at a festival for a couple days and they're definitely my favorite small wedge.

I'm sure the current STX offering from JBL is close to par with their 712 and I will second Mike Pyle on the TX1122FM for a more affordable box.

I'm sure you liked the 12am, but they're very expensive compared to the monitors in this thread, and bi-amp only.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Why would $4200.00 be too much to pay for a wedge??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »

And why is biamp only an issue. The OP did not specify passive or biamp nor a price range, just what she has been using. 90% of the suggested gear is a step down in quality in one way or another IMO.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »

And why is biamp only an issue. The OP did not specify passive or biamp nor a price range, just what she has been using. 90% of the suggested gear is a step down in quality in one way or another IMO.

Kim didn't define "passive" so I used the most conservative definition - no built in power amp and internally (passively) crossed over.

When I start talking about mid-4 figure speakers in this forum I'm accused of being a gear snob, so apparently this is not the place to promote such level of equipment.  If I'm wrong about that I'll happily stand corrected.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Kirby

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »

Just build your own at least you can design them the way you want, its not that hard............Personally I prefer Bi-Amped wedges, much more control especially in a touring situation when you have fussy muso's who all want more, more, more foldback :)

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »

Just build your own at least you can design them the way you want, its not that hard...........

It is very hard to design a good sounding box.. Years and years of research goes in to box designs and a lot of $$$ as well these days. this isn't the 70s & 80s system with just a square box  with a woofer & horn. No to mention what band will want to play on a "PA hand designed and built by John Doe"?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.