ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single coil squeal through P.A  (Read 14333 times)

Jerome Freese

Re: Single coil squeal through P.A
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »

Update: I am pretty sure was compressors. After taking makeup gain off the problem went away. Thank you so much for your input. I find those digital compressors ok in the studio but live....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »

Update: I am pretty sure was compressors. After taking makeup gain off the problem went away. Thank you so much for your input. I find those digital compressors ok in the studio but live....

You'd have the same result from an analog compressor.  Ones and zeros don't change it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »

Just to clarify, this is not a problem with "digital compressors" in a "live" setting.  This is simply a case of operator error in managing the gain.  Gain is gain, no matter where it happens to be hanging out in the signal chain.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »

You'd have the same result from an analog compressor.  Ones and zeros don't change it.

What has changed is that now everybody has a compressor available on every input, and some feel compelled to use them. I'm sure I'm showing my age, but when I was cutting my teeth in this business, you were lucky to have ONE comp as a system processor, or later on maybe a dbx 166 that you put on two inserts.

This reminds me of one local 4-piece folk/pop act. Once they hit the big time, their sound man could demand a PM3000-40 for gigs, even though he still was only using 12 channels. Of course he had a comp on every input, and had them in 10 or 12 dB of gain reduction when the band was playing. Once they stopped between tunes, he had to grab the master fader and bring it down because the whole system took off into feedback!

GTD

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »

I'm sure I'm showing my age, but when I was cutting my teeth in this business, you were lucky to have ONE comp

We managed for two or three years in the late 1980s before we got one.  Our first few gigs were done without graphic equalisers too.

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »

in the 70's we didnt know what a graphic eq was. a compressor was used to run air power tools. we did just fine. time to fire up the compressor so i can paint some graphics on the car.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »

So you found this by removing all effects from the channel as suggested?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerome Freese

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »

So you found this by removing all effects from the channel as suggested?
No, I had such a strong suspicion of the compressor,I asked if that was in the chain. I had the sound man pull it way down.(makeup gain,compression level)I wouldn't have thought it needed one so it surprised me when I found out it was in. I was also happy because the way it acted I was convinced quickly the compressor was at fault.
  I 100% agree with statements above saying now the average soundmen with their digital boards have so many toys they feel they need to use even though everything was fine before. And you have to KNOW how to use compressors or no improvements are made.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »

I 100% agree with statements above saying now the average soundmen with their digital boards have so many toys they feel they need to use even though everything was fine before. And you have to KNOW how to use compressors or no improvements are made.
More accurately, you have to know IF compressors are necessary, or negative improvements are made.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Guy Graham

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »

No, I had such a strong suspicion of the compressor,I asked if that was in the chain. I had the sound man pull it way down.(makeup gain,compression level)I wouldn't have thought it needed one so it surprised me when I found out it was in. I was also happy because the way it acted I was convinced quickly the compressor was at fault. {snip}

I think Bob's point was that reply #3 identified the compressor as the potential cause.

However we are near the bottom of the 2nd page, and have only now identified the cause correctly!

Troubleshooting combined with common sense can be done quite easily in person; on the web clearly takes longer...

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.