ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Single coil squeal through P.A  (Read 14468 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: Single coil squeal through P.A
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 07:58:21 AM »

No he is using a ENGL powerball 2 and a Dumble overdrive special.
The problem is that Dumble. You need to get it as far away as possible. You can send it here it me In Atlanta. PM me for an address

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »

It happens any venue even outdoors. It started happening when we went from our big Allen heath board to the new Behringer digital.
You likely have set up a feedback loop in the routing on the board.
It was mentioned already.....  Put the guitar in another strip, DO NOT COPY from the old to the new !  Start this one fresh. The "problem" will go away
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »

The problem is that Dumble. You need to get it as far away as possible. You can send it here it me In Atlanta. PM me for an address

Wrong. It will need to be looked at by me in Boston, forever.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

You likely have set up a feedback loop in the routing on the board.
It was mentioned already.....  Put the guitar in another strip, DO NOT COPY from the old to the new !  Start this one fresh. The "problem" will go away

I have to agree knowing now that there was no problem with the older board. Use a clean channel, no effects, no monitor send. If FOH by itself doesn't result in the same issue then add the monitor send and see what happens. Make very sure there are no effects added while doing this test.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »

Humbuckers do not do this at all. We tried removing the channel compression and it seemed to help but we need to try again.

How much compression?  When he isn't playing, all that gain gets added back to the signal. That, and the single coil pickups might make the difference.  If it's happening even when he plays, then disregard this message.

An internal loop in the console is a possibility, but what kind of pickups he's using wouldn't make a difference.

GTD

Jerome Freese

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »

From all have read, I am thinking it may be a feedback loop or (and it really sounds like-compression issue.  He said he took it out, but if a loop was somewhere routed through a compressor...

I am going to ask him to try the clean channel thing and start there. I've got my one eye on that board..

Dave Johnston

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a feedback/loop, wouldn't it always happen with humbuckers as well as single coils?

Also it was stated earlier, "When he isn't playing, all that gain gets added back to the signal. That, and the single coil pickups might make the difference. If it's happening even when he plays, then disregard this message."

That somewhat eliminates to a degree the compression being the reason. I don't see how the OP can come to the conclusion he has come to.

Does it still squeal when the board channel is turned down while it's happening?  Has this been tried?

More info: Does it happen on clean sounds as well or just high gain distorted ones

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:03:12 PM by Dave Johnston »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Maybe I missed it but, how us the guitar connected to the PA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jerome Freese

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 12:50:14 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was a feedback/loop, wouldn't it always happen with humbuckers as well as single coils?

Also it was stated earlier, "When he isn't playing, all that gain gets added back to the signal. That, and the single coil pickups might make the difference. If it's happening even when he plays, then disregard this message."

That somewhat eliminates to a degree the compression being the reason. I don't see how the OP can come to the conclusion he has come to.

Does it still squeal when the board channel is turned down while it's happening?  Has this been tried?

More info: Does it happen on clean sounds as well or just high gain distorted ones

P.A. On = guitar single coil /w./ higher gain =squeal
P.A. Off Same guitar and no matter how much  gain = no squeal ever.
All single coils do this even when the guitarist splits coils out of humbucking mode.
It's like the thinner higher, sharper freqs of those "spur it on" more.

We have not tried just turning the guitar channel off with everything else on but that is a great idea to try to isolate if the problem is coming from other mics that have compression etc. The guitar cabinets are Mesa & SPLAWN Cab mic'd with an Audix 05 mics.

Guy Luckert

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »

update ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.