ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Single coil squeal through P.A  (Read 14330 times)

Jerome Freese

Single coil squeal through P.A
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone here with knowledge of a solution to a problem we have been having.
 Guitar player when using single coil pickups (even split coil humbuckers) and higher gain settings will squeal  with P.A on. Funny thing is, is that with no P.A on the guitarist can play with more gain and volume and the guitar will not squeal even right next to the speaker. Only when the P.A is on does this happen. There is no guitar in the monitors.
The sound man was blaming the guitarist for too much gain as that's when the problem occurred, but then when the P.A was down the guitarist showed him how the guitar wouldn't squeal on it's own no matter what. Guitar player blames sound system since problem started when we went to a digital board.

Thomas Le

Re: Single coil squeal through P.A
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:21 AM »

You need to change your display name to your real name or the admin will lock up this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone here with knowledge of a solution to a problem we have been having.
 Guitar player when using single coil pickups (even split coil humbuckers) and higher gain settings will squeal  with P.A on. Funny thing is, is that with no P.A on the guitarist can play with more gain and volume and the guitar will not squeal even right next to the speaker. Only when the P.A is on does this happen. There is no guitar in the monitors.
The sound man was blaming the guitarist for too much gain as that's when the problem occurred, but then when the P.A was down the guitarist showed him how the guitar wouldn't squeal on it's own no matter what. Guitar player blames sound system since problem started when we went to a digital board.

You're going to need to give more info if you want a real answer. Is the amp squealing or the PA? Mains or monitors?  Can he play at same volume with humbuckers and get no squeal?  Is the squeal feedback or something else?  If it's the PA squealing, does the channel have compression on it?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »

Is he using a PigNose amp?????
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jerome Freese

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »

Is the amp squealing or the PA? Mains or monitors?  Can he play at same volume with humbuckers and get no squeal?  Is the squeal feedback or something else?  If it's the PA squealing, does the channel have compression on it?
Only with the P.A on does the squealing occur.Guitar & amp itself does not squeal at all. Comes out of the P.A. Not "controllable" feedback but fast squeal. No guitar through monitors. Humbuckers do not do this at all. We tried removing the channel compression and it seemed to help but we need to try again. that's the first thing I thought also.

Jerome Freese

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »

Is he using a PigNose amp?????

No he is using a ENGL powerball 2 and a Dumble overdrive special.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »

Only with the P.A on does the squealing occur.Guitar & amp itself does not squeal at all. Comes out of the P.A. Not "controllable" feedback but fast squeal. No guitar through monitors. Humbuckers do not do this at all. We tried removing the channel compression and it seemed to help but we need to try again. that's the first thing I thought also.

Are you micing the amp or taking a direct line somewhere?  I have no clue what it might be, just trying to eliminate things for someone who might come along who does.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

It sounds like there is an electronic feedback loop in the console. Somewhere the guitar signal is looped. Are there any effects that are only on the guitar?

Mac

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »

It sounds like there is an electronic feedback loop in the console. Somewhere the guitar signal is looped. Are there any effects that are only on the guitar?

Mac

To add a bit:

Move the guitar to another channel and put something else into the former guitar channel.  If the channel still squeals with another input device, it's almost certainly a routing issue creating some kind of closed loop.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »

There wouldn't happen to be a magnetic style hearing assistance loop system in the room? as single coil guitar pickups are effectively the same device as the pickup in the hearing aids and then can feedback quite spectacularly even just into their own amp, if the loop amp is turned off with the rest of the PA then that would stop the squealing. G

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.