ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers in rocks  (Read 8779 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Speakers in rocks
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »

Here is a link to the de facto standard in outdoor architectural speakers.

http://www.ticcorp.com/
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »

Here is a link to the de facto standard in outdoor architectural speakers.

http://www.ticcorp.com/
Oh look...they have speakers in rocks!  :D
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

Okay...so to give a little more information about this project....

This is a massive (the better part of a mile long) park/green space/multi space performance and meeting venue...some might call it a gathering place. This is a three year long project which starts this fall with a year and a half of earth moving. The architects, electrical and construction contractors want to finalize the locations and needs for power and sound and light needs for the event productions aspects of this park in the next couple of months so that they can build the electrical and signal distribution infrastructure into the earth moving process.

A colleague of mine and I have been brought in to consult on the sound, lighting, and production power and facilities needs for this project. The first small piece of this project that we have bitten off is figuring out the power requirements, conduit placement and speaker locations to cover a childrens recreation/outdoor classroom area that is about 200 feet long and 80 or 90 feet wide. So, while I am not at the point of recommending a specific faux-rock-speaker; I need to know what general class of speaker I am going to recommend and what power and signal distribution I need to plan to specify, how many and what their placement is going to be. And yes, I know that the answers to those questions can only be given after I determine what speakers are going to be used.

Having said that, the two opposing specs are for:
1) a passive speaker that only needs a speaker cable run to it, but will have a somewhat large amp rack located somewhere...
Or 2) a powered speaker that will require two conduit runs, one for power and one for signal, but that requires a much smaller rack which can be hidden more easily.

From my research thus far, I have not been able to find an off the shelf rock shaped speaker that is a powered unit. So passive may be the only way to go, unless I want to recommend buying powered speakers with custom fabricated enclosures--which may have to be done anyway, as I'm sure the architects won't want to have three dozen rock shaped speakers that all have the same shape.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »

The company I gave you the link for is capable of supplying you with anything you need for any size installation. I suggest you call them. Large scale is their forte.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »

The architects, electrical and construction contractors want to finalize the locations and needs for power and sound and light needs for the event productions aspects of this park in the next couple of months...

So will they be lighting everything from the ground as well?  Really if you've got light up the space from above, a couple of speakers that can't be blocked by people shouldn't be a big deal on the same mount.  That said, one of my favorite TIC product is the Omni series.  Properly installed in the ground, they have a decent amount of low end and can be hidden in bushes and flower islands and are available with 70V transformers for running large amount of them in a single run.
This space for rent

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »

So will they be lighting everything from the ground as well?
That is correct. All of the lighting will be from light up walk ways, or the arms rests of park benches that light up, etc...  ::)
That said, one of my favorite TIC product is the Omni series.  Properly installed in the ground, they have a decent amount of low end and can be hidden in bushes and flower islands and are available with 70V transformers for running large amount of them in a single run.
So you've heard them then? And they don't sound like total and complete ass like normal 70-volt speakers then?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »

So you've heard them then? And they don't sound like total and complete ass like normal 70-volt speakers then?

Used within their parameters, they sound pretty decent for ambient music and light announcement work, especially with larger quantities that are well placed.  They also have an in-ground sub available.  I think with a few well placed electronics locations and a good Cobra-Net system you could zone out and route your audio pretty easily and end up with a system that can be expanded as the space grows.  Like Bob said, give them a call.  It's what they do.

This space for rent

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »

That is correct. All of the lighting will be from light up walk ways, or the arms rests of park benches that light up, etc...  ::) So you've heard them then? And they don't sound like total and complete ass like normal 70-volt speakers then?

They're used in most amusements parks. I'm sure you've heard/seen them before. Processing does help...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »

They're used in most amusements parks. I'm sure you've heard/seen them before. Processing does help...
Uhhh....I don't go to amusements parks. It's been probably close to 20 years since the last time I went to one.  :o
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:08 AM »

Uhhh....I don't go to amusements parks. It's been probably close to 20 years since the last time I went to one.  :o

You need to get out more and have some fun, Justice. ;)

70v doesn't have to suck, it just requires a budget to match expectations - like any other system.

A thought about the whole passive/self powered thing - if this gets used for purposes yet unforeseen, I suspect that running power to every "location" along the path(s) would be a Really Good Thing®.  It won't be cheaper if done later, and it's ready if a new product or technology surfaces during the earth moving that requires 120v - it's right there in a cable vault.  Power.  Everywhere.  Now.  It also means that the first Earth Day festival held there should not need generators for vendors....

Sounds kind of "Mouse" to me, though they've got the budget to pay for some 'imagineering.'  Nudge, wink.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.