ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Festival Rigging - Manual Hoist intead of CM Loadstar  (Read 5362 times)

jasonfinnigan

For small festivals were I don't want to rent CM Loadstars and just use manual hoists are their specific industry ones I need to buy or will these work? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OT375M/

I would just be using these to lift sections of lighting truss with either par 64 cans or LED Pars on them. Nothing with a huge amount of weight.

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Small Festival Rigging - Manual Hoist intead of CM Loadstar
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »

For small festivals were I don't want to rent CM Loadstars and just use manual hoists are their specific industry ones I need to buy or will these work? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OT375M/

I would just be using these to lift sections of lighting truss with either par 64 cans or LED Pars on them. Nothing with a huge amount of weight.

Edit: Not as simple as I previously stated, editing to not seem too nonchalant. Read the manual, most(or possibly all?) specify installing safeties before allowing access to the area under the load.

As I previously stated, you then have to have someone stash the chains in a bag.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:41:28 AM by Spenser Hamilton »
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »

Jason, IIRC all of the industrial hoists I have seen in catalogs (as opposed to at Harbor Freight, etc.) have carried a disclaimer of not being intended to lift or suspend loads over people. I am not a certified rigger, but I suspect that in the event of a rigging failure, the use of a product contrary to explicit warnings and disclaimers would not be a good thing from a liability standpoint.  I think that the standard industry practice is to say "consult a qualified rigger."  Sorry if that's a cop-out answer, but I think that is the appropriate response (especially in a public forum).  Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »

For rigging lightweight truss we've used standard chain falls in the past, the biggest issue is sending someone up afterwards with a bag to clean up the chain.

Not all chain falls are created equal.  My understanding is it has something to do with braking and how they react under an overload in the event of an unexpected load shift. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »

Makes sense. may see if some cheap loadstars come on the used market soon. I see them cheap all the time but they tend to be three phase and I'd probably need a single phase one since I just use Distros off the Nema 14-50's

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:28:50 PM »

Jason, you may want to consider going to motor school if you own motors. Maintenance and care and feeding is important too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:08:54 AM »

I am also not a certified rigger but I think that if you used a hoist like this to get the speakers in place and then connected steel span sets in place of the hoist to create a dead hang you would be safe. This way there is no chance of a hoist failuer during the show.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »

I am not a rigger and really am not qualified to be giving advice, but it seems to me that you should be able to use an industrial chainfall to hoist and lower the truss, but you would then need to provide approved and properly installed rigging to suspend the truss during the show. In other words, the hoist is used ONLY for moving the truss, and is NOT used for static suspension.

The chainfall should not be under load except during hoisting/lowering, and even then you need to take appropriate safety measures: controlling access to the area, using spotters, PPE, etc. Another thing to keep in mind is that the hooks on an industrial chainfall are not locking; the load could slip out and drop in the event of unplanned or poorly-planned movement.

That approved and properly installed static rigging may cost as much or more than an approved and properly operated hoist.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.