ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie SRM450 v2 bad amp  (Read 5848 times)

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
Mackie SRM450 v2 bad amp
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

Has anyone here had to fix a Mackie SRM450 v2 with a bad amp?  I have a pair of them that won't power up.  I checked the manual and it said that it maybe is an AC line fuse that has blown.  The next sentence says that it is not a user serviceable part but I know that phrase hasn't stopped many of you before.  Does anyone have a price range on getting it fixed professionally?
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

jasonfinnigan

Re: Mackie SRM450 v2 bad amp
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »

Never fixed a Mackie, but I've heard newer mackie gear is poorly made.

I've fixed traditional power amps all the time, they tend to be a capacitor issue or a transistor issue. and sometimes a stink bug would be the issue (got itself fried and short circuited the amp).

With a class D amp you'll still need to know what your doing but they don't store as much power so they aren't as dangerous to work on. I'd check the fuse first thing, but likely if it blew there's a reason. I'd check the transformer output voltage as well, and look for any budging caps then go from there.

EDIT: I did look up and see there must be some common issue with these. There's many $200 repair services for your amp, or you can buy a new amp module for around $285.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:27:32 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

I have had three of them fail and one took the woofer with it.  If not under warranty you can open them up pretty easily and inspect the fuse.  The problem is if the fuse blew it probably did so as a result of some other failure on the amp. 

I have had good luck with fast repairs from  Steve at S&X Audio, Tuckwila , WA.  They have been an authorized repair center for a long time and used to be sort of across the street from the Mackie warehouse so parts availability has been pretty good.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »

I have had good luck with fast repairs from  Steve at S&X Audio, Tukwila , WA.  They have been an authorized repair center for a long time and used to be sort of across the street from the Mackie warehouse so parts availability has been pretty good.

+2 on this one. Steve and Xuan ("S" and "X") are both former Mackie engineers in Woodinville. They set out on their own... 8, 9 years ago? but still have the knowledge and connections to Mackie for getting parts.

Living in the PNW has always been nice. I once had to get an SR1530 repaired, and "officially" all repairs were returned to Whitinsville, MA. But, since I lived about 5 miles away from Mackie HQ in Woodinville, they had an un-writted "West Coast Exemption," and were able to repair it right there!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.