ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick Drum clipping  (Read 8960 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Kick Drum clipping
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »

I was wrong to say that it is only going to the subs. That's why I said where my Eq'ing was. I am completely open to eq suggestions for the kick as well. I came in to this church about a year ago and just started as tech director for them only 3 months ago. I am diagnosing other bigger issues with their system as a whole. But this was just a smaller issue the FOH techs were telling me about
Then do as everybody has suggested-turn down the input trim.  START there.  Turn down the gain on the compressor and turn it off or turn the threshold up high and "get it out of the way".

Then see what happens
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Martin

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »

I have gotten some great suggestions everyone, thank you! I will let you know how it all turns out!

sam saponaro

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »

I was wrong to say that it is only going to the subs. That's why I said where my Eq'ing was. I am completely open to eq suggestions for the kick as well. I came in to this church about a year ago and just started as tech director for them only 3 months ago. I am diagnosing other bigger issues with their system as a whole. But this was just a smaller issue the FOH techs were telling me about
Yea start at the channel gain with all comps/gates/limiters out.
As far as EQ generally the treble control will bring out the "click"of the beater and the bass will bring in the body"thump" of the kick drum.Usually mids and there sweep controls are good for dialing back the frequancies that make "mush" on the kick.Allot of the poorly tuned  "Hoommm" overtones some drums have can be tamed by dialing back mids.
Generally I use a gate on the kickdrum which IMO is easiest to adjust through phones cause you can hear precisely what the gate is doing.The gate will help tighten the sound by opening above the threshold and then slamming shut below your threshold setting.And your attck and realease times further adjust how quickly the gate reacts. Snare and Kick are easiest to set IMO cause you can allways solo them in the phones while the band is playing to tweak.Were as toms being only passes by on rolls mean you gotta get it right in soundcheck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:57:58 PM by sam saponaro »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

It's clipping on the channel digital display

If your display is metering pre-fader, it's likely also metering pre-EQ and pre-insert and pre-compression. This means that the clipping is on the very first stage, your input, and no amount of compression will resolve the issue, because it's clipping ahead of the compressor. That would mean the input needs to be turned down.

You need to think about the signal flow, and where in the chain you are metering. You can't remove distortion; you can only prevent it.

If you haven't studied the extensive amount of literature on proper gain structure, now is a good time to start. There are many resources on ProSoundWeb, discussions in these fora, and elsewhere online dealing with proper gain structure. There's no need to go into that here, but it can be summarized as "maximize your gain early and often."

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with your board. I haven't read the manual or looked at a block diagram of it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:04:12 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:24 AM »

IIRC I run the Kick at -10 on "my" LS9.  If that's the case, your's is a might hot.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:29:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.