ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38181 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »

Sorry Ned, but Steve's got you with this one. I voiced this Champ for a 12" speaker and man does it sound good. The numbers line up just like they should (4-6-6) and an amazing bit of dirt starts to creep in about 5. Pushed to 6 and it's the amp used for most of the Stones recordings. But clean is where it counts and this amp has that in spades. I won't get into the full detail, you guys know what I do, but there's a picture below with some of the magic exposed.

Steve, grab some Kleenex before you start to work this amp. It's gonna make you cry.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:21:10 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Steve Hurt fires latest shot at Ned Ward in the Fender wars.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

Bob - that is quite the shot across the bow! Love the workmanship (of course), and love that it's been converted into a head - I'm looking for a misused Deluxe Reverb or Princeton to do the same to - and I know exactly who I'll talk to once I get it...

I dragged my Princeton Reverb (with DR OT) to practice the other day, and it reminded me how much I love those 6V6 amps when they're pushed. I'll be using my Tremolux this Thursday for a show, and lending out the Bandmaster to our other guitar player, and the excellent Showman has been pulling bass amp duty through an Ampeg SVT 2x10. Our bass player loves the sound; so do we.

thanks for posting, and as Yogi Berra used to say, "It aint over 'til it's over."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:59:07 PM »

I love Deluxe Reverbs. There's a very special speaker I use on those and I'll not say what it is unless I do the rebuild and you've been sworn to secrecy. The best bet for a Deluxe is a silver face from 70-73/74. The price is always reasonable and in a couple of days with minimum parts I can have them sounding as good or better than any 64-66 you'll find. My own private reserve is a modified 72. I don't think I've ever played a gig and not been asked where I found it, what's in it, etc.. I usually tell the people, "in a music store, don't know - stock."

I'll be running Steve's amp for about a week before I send it back. Wish it had reverb though. When I received this amp it didn't work. Replaced tubes, caps, tube sockets, a couple of blown resistors, output cable for speaker, speaker jack, more caps.

By the way Ned. It has become impossible to purchase replacement face plates for Fender amps. Fender has clamped down and the market has dried up. But, I have a source in Europe if you need one.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »

Anyone want a 65 Twin for $1500..
 If this violates policy, move it to the Marketplace. It's not mine, just thought these guys would be a more target audience..LOL
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:10:35 PM by Kemper Watson »

Deryl Voutila

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »

I love Deluxe Reverbs. There's a very special speaker I use on those and I'll not say what it is unless I do the rebuild and you've been sworn to secrecy. The best bet for a Deluxe is a silver face from 70-73/74. The price is always reasonable and in a couple of days with minimum parts I can have them sounding as good or better than any 64-66 you'll find. My own private reserve is a modified 72. I don't think I've ever played a gig and not been asked where I found it, what's in it, etc.. I usually tell the people, "in a music store, don't know - stock."

Better than my '66, Bob? ;) 
I will attest to the speaker choice, without divulging any trade secrets.  I will say it has changed my speaker paradigm for some other amps I own.

Regards,
Deryl Voutila

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 02:51:23 AM »

That looks great.  It would be perfect for me.  I don't use reverb (slapback tap delay instead) and I do occasionally use tremolo.

My current gigging amplifier is a WEM Dominator (17 watt valve - 2 x EL84).

A small amp head like that would be great for trying out different speakers.

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »

Better than my '66, Bob? ;) 
I will attest to the speaker choice, without divulging any trade secrets.  I will say it has changed my speaker paradigm for some other amps I own.

Regards,
Deryl Voutila

Well, I got carried away there. How is your Deluxe running Deryl? And actually I think Ned is the only person I know that doesn't own one.

The speaker I'm talking about has never been mentioned and the cost is over $200. I can sometimes talk these folks into a lower price, so if you want the last bit of Deluxe magic let me know.

PS - It's not a Warehouse.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »

Anyone want a 65 Twin for $1500..
 If this violates policy, move it to the Marketplace. It's not mine, just thought these guys would be a more target audience..LOL

Kemper,
The thing about Twin Reverbs is that they are very common, can be found for $5-800, and unless you're a collector owning a 66' is not an advantage. I have a pair, 72' and 74' that have been converted to AB763 specs, fully recapped, tone stack tuned, Celestion speakers, and soon to have new grill cloth and black faceplate. I'll sell one of them as is for $1000 and guarantee it sounds 100 times better than the 66'. That's $200 less than the current circuit board re-issue Fender make today.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:50:48 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »

Kemper,
The thing about Twin Reverbs is that they are very common, can be found for $5-800, and unless you're a collector owning a 66' is not an advantage. I have a pair, 72' and 74' that have been converted to AB763 specs, fully recapped, tone stack tuned, Celestion speakers, and soon to have new grill cloth and black faceplate. I'll sell one of them as is for $1000 and guarantee it sounds 100 times better than the 66'. That's $200 less than the current circuit board re-issue Fender make today.

I'll let the seller know. I had no idea of the value. It was strange. While I was reading your post, he text'ed me with the sale offer...Now I know

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »

Bob - thanks for the date range to hone in on. Based on some of the great finds on Craiglist out here (Tremolux Cab for $100, etc.) a 70-74 SF DR could be in the cards if I can find at a reasonable price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.