ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38121 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »

All of my old Marshall stack and amp tilting friends have hearing issues and I'm convinced that having their guitars pinging them right in the head is the culprit.

If that's the case, they should have TURNED THE SHIT DOWN.

(shouting CAPS for the hearing-impaired electric guitarists of the world - and that's most of them)

And while I'm at it... don't point your fucking amp right at me, at FOH, and then have your girlfriend/boyfriend/gaggle of sycophants tell me they can't hear you... because I took you out of the PA in this 300 seat room and am still trying to mix the vox up to your self-indulgent "artistry".

Okay, I feel better now.  Nurse, where are my meds?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:29:26 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »

And while I'm at it... don't point your fucking amp right at me, at FOH, and then have your girlfriend/boyfriend/gaggle of sycophants tell he they can't hear you... because I took you out of the PA in this 300 seat room and am still trying to mix the vox up to your self-indulgent "artistry".

Anything smaller than a shed or arena, I tell em "Point that shit at me, and 9/10 of the audience won't hear it". When GirlZilla comes up to bitch, she hears it plenty loud at FOH, just as I do. A lot of times, when the second set starts, the offending amp has been "re-directed", and I can get on with mixing for the audience, not mixing around a guitar.
(Neil, you listening ? No, I thought not.)

Tim, any spare meds? Mine are just about gone....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »

The amp assault continues…

The one on the right got traded for the TTE (not the best trade I've ever done but sometimes when you want to rid your life of stuff you do weird things - at least I use the TTE all the time and it takes up a lot less room than a big amp in a road case)

The solderless Evidence are noticeably better than my old George L's.  Night and day difference.  My next Evidence adventure involves bravely cutting one of his pre-made high dollar coolaide types into 3 separate shorter wires to use between the pedal board > TTE > amp 1 > amp 2. 

As for the tilting of amps - I don't do it.  God gave me ears down by my ankles for a reason.  When using any amp with JBLs you're just gonna hurt yourself if you tilt it back.  I know this is a sound/PA forum but most of my work is done very old school with vocals and kick only coming from some kind of PA with the band using their ears to match what the area needs with stage volume and it seems to be getting lower and lower as the years pass.  All of my old Marshall stack and amp tilting friends have hearing issues and I'm convinced that having their guitars pinging them right in the head is the culprit.

Interesting. I find that by having my amps tilted back, i turn the volume up less and can hear myself better. Tiltback legs on the non-Princetons, the stand for the others. We bought our other guitar player the Ultimate amp stand that lifts it up and tilts it, and his stage volume has noticeably decreased but he can hear himself better - makes for a better overall mix. My Tremolux rarely hits 4 for practice and shows and I can hear it fine...

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

If that's the case, they should have TURNED THE SHIT DOWN.

(shouting CAPS for the hearing-impaired electric guitarists of the world - and that's most of them)

And while I'm at it... don't point your fucking amp right at me, at FOH, and then have your girlfriend/boyfriend/gaggle of sycophants tell me they can't hear you... because I took you out of the PA in this 300 seat room and am still trying to mix the vox up to your self-indulgent "artistry".

What?  No comment on my high dollar Evidence coolaide cables?

Yeah you're right - they should have turned down.  Maybe they were all trying to hear themselves over the thundering kick drum and nothing else mix that all the grumpy old sound dudes gave them?!   ;)  Lucky for me we never really played at that insane rock level although I've endured many an insult just for owning a guitar by people who have never even seen me play.  The majority of the gigs I do now are smaller and we rarely have to mic guitars.. and on that note > Have you ever noticed the crazy PA on a stick bands that think they need to mic everything in a small room even though the poor little fuzzy cabs are farting and all that stuff has completely buried the vocals??? 

Pass the meds please...

Here's a clip from a gig we did earlier this year that we miked everything - not bad for a mix while you play from stage then going wireless to the video folks.

http://youtu.be/vE1kd18rlto

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2014, 02:32:18 PM »

Someday Slim, you and I will play together.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

Interesting. I find that by having my amps tilted back, i turn the volume up less and can hear myself better. Tiltback legs on the non-Princetons, the stand for the others. We bought our other guitar player the Ultimate amp stand that lifts it up and tilts it, and his stage volume has noticeably decreased but he can hear himself better - makes for a better overall mix. My Tremolux rarely hits 4 for practice and shows and I can hear it fine...

Yeah a lot of people do like to tilt.  My amp aiming habits are old school and while wearing a sound dude hat it's always fun to slam the old rockers that play too loud but on a serious note - have you been a life long tilter and how are your ears??

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

What?  No comment on my high dollar Evidence coolaide cables?

Yeah you're right - they should have turned down.  Maybe they were all trying to hear themselves over the thundering kick drum and nothing else mix that all the grumpy old sound dudes gave them?!   ;)  Lucky for me we never really played at that insane rock level although I've endured many an insult just for owning a guitar by people who have never even seen me play.  The majority of the gigs I do now are smaller and we rarely have to mic guitars.. and on that note > Have you ever noticed the crazy PA on a stick bands that think they need to mic everything in a small room even though the poor little fuzzy cabs are farting and all that stuff has completely buried the vocals??? 

Pass the meds please...

Here's a clip from a gig we did earlier this year that we miked everything - not bad for a mix while you play from stage then going wireless to the video folks.

http://youtu.be/vE1kd18rlto

Never heard of "Evidence", so no opinion, but if they make/drink/serve coolaide, I want to watch :)

And yes, I've sat through shows with lots of inappropriate things stuffed into an undersized PA.  Those guys deserve almost as much grief as razor-toned, set-to-stun guitarists.  The reason for the razor tone is that the guitarist who doesn't hear the center of the speaker misses all the HF that is BEAMING past his ankles or calves.  You get to hear what you want, the audience gets to hear it the way it sounds to the rest of the world.

And the drummer or bass player?  Probably trying to keep up with the other guy, and when he does the "other guy" buys a new amp, snare drum and cymbals or whatever, to get back to being the loudest thing on stage (for whatever reasons).  Amplitude war resulting from a failure to understand the meaning of the word "ensemble".

And uh, Gene, you know we're not supposed to trade meds here in the home....  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

Someday Slim, you and I will play together.

Keep me in the loop.  I wanna be there.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

Yeah a lot of people do like to tilt.  My amp aiming habits are old school and while wearing a sound dude hat it's always fun to slam the old rockers that play too loud but on a serious note - have you been a life long tilter and how are your ears??
Sorry I didn't mention the cables - I still have so many feet of George L's from buying a whole spool I'm invested for a while… but may have to check them out.

I'm only 47, playing for 35 years and have only been tilting amps for the past 7 years. My hearing isn't great (a lot of years playing/recording through headphones in a home studio at loud levels) but I did find that my stage volume decreased when I tilted the amps up and I was able to hear them better. This was also appreciated by the rest of the band - with the lower volume they can have a better monitor mix that's not fighting over the guitar amps even with them raised and/or tilted - works great when you don't have a lot of room on stage.

When I had my Bandmaster 2x12 combo made several years ago, I specifically got the Fender tilt-back legs to give me that option as well, and glad that I did. I know that in our practice room (20x20), tilt backs and stands have helped us lower the volume level and still be heard (no amps micd, only keys and vocals through PA).

May be worth trying.

FYI - you guys sound great on the Youtube video! Like Dick Rees, I'd want to be at that Gene/Bob show - I'll shlep gear!

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

1 more salvo of Fenders and a friend in the never ending war >>>

(((there's an echo in here)))

a couple of old friends…

1957? Gibson Les Paul GA40 6V6's maybe 15 or 20 watts??

Not exactly the right speaker but it's not bad.  Wish I had not tossed the original like young dummies do.  The original Jensen is the only one I saw with a phenolic dust cap and it was the bomb!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.