ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38422 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

Just a few reissues with no issues. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:52:16 PM by Craig Leerman »
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »

Sorry I'm late - been hanging around that other joint.  I'll start with my current rig and go backwards >>>

Stereo Allen Sweet Spots with JBL D120's and 6V6's

"Design is loosely based on the Fender Princeton Reverb™ but with many enhancements such as a standby switch, middle control, bright switch, choke filtered power supply, filter capacitor bank, fixed bias phase inverter, deeper vibrato, adjustable power tube bias and bias measurement jacks."
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:32:43 PM by Gene Hardage »

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »

Sorry I'm late - been hanging around that other joint.  I'll start with my current rig and go backwards >>>

Stereo Allen Sweet Spots with JBL D120's and 6V6's

"Design is loosely based on the Fender Princeton Reverb™ but with many enhancements such as a standby switch, middle control, bright switch, choke filtered power supply, filter capacitor bank, fixed bias phase inverter, deeper vibrato, adjustable power tube bias and bias measurement jacks."

Allen amps.  Nice.  I've got an Allen Accomplice.  The raw control is nice.  Good sounding amp

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »

Allen amps.  Nice.  I've got an Allen Accomplice.  The raw control is nice.  Good sounding amp

My Fenders (and a couple others)
This pic is a couple years old.
There are more now.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »

Gene and Steve - nice amps!
Gene - lust after the Fulltone tape echo - nice!
How do you like the Plimsoul?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »

If I felt better I would have taken a picture of the current crowd. Looks like I'll have to fire the shot heard round the world. Your all spoiled. And Gene, for a guy with the bucks for a pair of sweet spots, would it hurt to buy a larger piece of plywood for your pedals you cheap prick.  ;D
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »

Howdy Steve - howdy Ned - howdy Bob - it's been a while since I've been around here.  Yes the Fulltone tape echo is especially nice in stereo and that was my motivator to get the 2nd Sweet Spot.  I started with his Encore with upgrade output transformer and a JBL E120 but found that even with the master dialed back a little it was a little too big for some gigs and decided to try the Sweet Spot.  Then came the 2nd one and the hunt was on for another D series JBL.  Then I went even smaller and got the little barker >>>  http://www.allenamps.com/chihuahua.php  10 watts of fighting fury soon to be sporting a re-coned JBL E110

Here's a clip of the stereo Sweet Spots via some club promo lady who had a handy-cam of some sort >>>  http://youtu.be/cMibixvKREY  PA gear was the powered Mackie 8 channel head with 2 Ramsdell 4x10+1 columns and a single Ramsdell powered 15" sub driven off the monitor send for the kick/toms only (no monitors)

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »

If I felt better I would have taken a picture of the current crowd. Looks like I'll have to fire the shot heard round the world. Your all spoiled. And Gene, for a guy with the bucks for a pair of sweet spots, would it hurt to buy a larger piece of plywood for your pedals you cheap prick.  ;D

Yeah I know - just trying to keep it small enough to fit in an old tweed suitcase along with various wires and stuff.  Speaking of wires - has anyone else drunk the Evidence coolaid?  I did and made some of those weird little screw-on solder-less types for the pedals.  The Plimsol is pretty spiffy but it was just replaced by a new OCD and if I ever get the hang of cascading them they will probably be heard up near you.  My other odd duck is a Bixonic Expandora that is pretty radical and can be used sans pedal board when dragging things into a jam.  It has some interesting qualities that are hard to describe - just turn the amp down to 2 or 3 and it becomes the front end with a weird touch and tone thing. 

OK - going backwards - this is a BFDR with a Rodgers repro cab and JBL D120 Allen transformers 6L6's

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

Gene - haven't tried the Evidence cables; have been using George L's for my pedalboard and my home studio for over 10 years with no issues on noise or shorts. For a non-soldering guy like me, the ability to cut and make custom-length cables is a godsend. If you add rubber feet to the pedalboard, you could even run the wires underneath the board for a cleaner look...

Haven't tried the Plimsoul but did try one of our ex-band members OCD; cascading them sounds like a plan!

My newest find was a Suhr Shiba Drive for when I need more gain than my Barber Direct Drive, which is fairly low gain, but sounds great. I find I'm using my Timmy less these days, and for lead the Keeley Fuzz Head is a lot of fun. I bought an MXR MicroFlanger, and while fun for Barracuda covers, the mix isn't adjustable; will ask our electronics friends at work to add a "mix" pot to the returns on my true bypass looper so I can vary it to taste.

If the Allens are the same size as their Fender counterparts, the Ultimate Support Genesis tilt-back stand fits in the back of them nicely. I keep one in the back of my Princeton Reverb for practice/smaller gigs.

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »

Gene - haven't tried the Evidence cables; have been using George L's for my pedalboard and my home studio for over 10 years with no issues on noise or shorts. For a non-soldering guy like me, the ability to cut and make custom-length cables is a godsend. If you add rubber feet to the pedalboard, you could even run the wires underneath the board for a cleaner look...

Haven't tried the Plimsoul but did try one of our ex-band members OCD; cascading them sounds like a plan!

My newest find was a Suhr Shiba Drive for when I need more gain than my Barber Direct Drive, which is fairly low gain, but sounds great. I find I'm using my Timmy less these days, and for lead the Keeley Fuzz Head is a lot of fun. I bought an MXR MicroFlanger, and while fun for Barracuda covers, the mix isn't adjustable; will ask our electronics friends at work to add a "mix" pot to the returns on my true bypass looper so I can vary it to taste.

If the Allens are the same size as their Fender counterparts, the Ultimate Support Genesis tilt-back stand fits in the back of them nicely. I keep one in the back of my Princeton Reverb for practice/smaller gigs.

The amp assault continues…

The one on the right got traded for the TTE (not the best trade I've ever done but sometimes when you want to rid your life of stuff you do weird things - at least I use the TTE all the time and it takes up a lot less room than a big amp in a road case)

The solderless Evidence are noticeably better than my old George L's.  Night and day difference.  My next Evidence adventure involves bravely cutting one of his pre-made high dollar coolaide types into 3 separate shorter wires to use between the pedal board > TTE > amp 1 > amp 2. 

As for the tilting of amps - I don't do it.  God gave me ears down by my ankles for a reason.  When using any amp with JBLs you're just gonna hurt yourself if you tilt it back.  I know this is a sound/PA forum but most of my work is done very old school with vocals and kick only coming from some kind of PA with the band using their ears to match what the area needs with stage volume and it seems to be getting lower and lower as the years pass.  All of my old Marshall stack and amp tilting friends have hearing issues and I'm convinced that having their guitars pinging them right in the head is the culprit. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.