ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38216 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Steve Hurt fires latest shot at Ned Ward in the Fender wars.
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

Maybe, we'll see. I might even try a pair of 6V6s in it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 01:23:21 AM »

Maybe, we'll see. I might even try a pair of 6V6s in it.

Me and the wife went out to an open blues jam last night and they played so loud my Vibrolux wouldn't keep up!

If I go back to that one, I'm taking earplugs and my Pro Reverb (another "Fender by Leonard")
I'll teach them about clean and loud! 
I was starting thinking there was no room in town where I could open that amp up at!

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »

Me and the wife went out to an open blues jam last night and they played so loud my Vibrolux wouldn't keep up!

If I go back to that one, I'm taking earplugs and my Pro Reverb (another "Fender by Leonard")
I'll teach them about clean and loud! 
I was starting thinking there was no room in town where I could open that amp up at!

Bob. do you rework any Ampeg tube stuff, such as old SVTs?

I have a friend with one that owes me a big favor and I could get this SVT rig for a song, and not a very good song at that...:o). While the cabinet is in good shape, the head doesn't sound right at all, compared to what I know about SVTs. I tried the cab with my EBS Fafner head and that sounds great! But I'd love to have a rockin' SVT rig.

BTW, I'm playing again, just being a shop rat at the job I've had for the last 21 years. No shows anymore. 

Thanx, Geri O

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

Bob. do you rework any Ampeg tube stuff, such as old SVTs?

I have a friend with one that owes me a big favor and I could get this SVT rig for a song, and not a very good song at that...:o). While the cabinet is in good shape, the head doesn't sound right at all, compared to what I know about SVTs. I tried the cab with my EBS Fafner head and that sounds great! But I'd love to have a rockin' SVT rig.

BTW, I'm playing again, just being a shop rat at the job I've had for the last 21 years. No shows anymore. 

Thanx, Geri O

Gerry,

I can do an SVT head for you as long as it's a tube head and not the new transistorized cacadoodie. Send me a PM and I'll tell you how it works.

@Steve,

Take the Pro and kick their asses.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:41 PM »

No picture, but Brian Bolley just came by and picked up his Twin. I think he was satisfied but can't really tell. I played a couple of songs and all he would do is moan and make weird faces. The last I saw of him he was driving off into the night with an "evil" smile on his face.

All kidding aside, thank you Brian for the privilege of working on your amp. Drive safe.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:49:34 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

DavidTurner

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »

Sorry to go off topic but: so Geri you won 't be at Silver Star Tuesday??!!! Damn!!!!

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »

Since this is an amp thread…

I have my Princeton Reverb - 77 pull boost, so I added a Deluxe Reverb output transformer and cleaned up the wiring. Sounds great at low volumes with a Jensen reissue speaker, but above 4 that speaker just farts and turns to mush.

Cab is particle board with glued in/dadoed baffle, so adding a 12 isn't practical (I also have a matching closed 1x12 cab. Looking for a better 10" speaker that will give me sweet clean, but further on up the road crunch without farting out. So far on my list:

Weber AlNiCo 10A125 - have 2 of these in my Tremolux and I do like.
Warehouse Speakers G10C/S

Upper end
Warehouse Speakers G10A
Kendrick Blackframe 10

Any other thoughts? Looking to keep the Princeton chime which is why I'm not looking at more British-voiced speakers.

thanks!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Blackframe 10, or G10A in that order. If all else fails, me.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

No picture, but Brian Bolley just came by and picked up his Twin. I think he was satisfied but can't really tell. I played a couple of songs and all he would do is moan and make weird faces. The last I saw of him he was driving off into the night with an "evil" smile on his face.

All kidding aside, thank you Brian for the privilege of working on your amp. Drive safe.

I'm not a guitarist, nor do I play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  But I did have an "Evil" Twin that was in need of some serious help, and the Good Dr Bob was able to bring the patient back to health.

I've had this Twin for the last 5+ years and although it had been to a local shop a couple times, it was never "right".  Part of that not-right-ness was the fact that it's a close brethren to "The Twin" amp (not a "real" twin, but not solid state), but apparently also not as despised as the red-knobbed "The Twin" either.  It's just simply labeled "Twin Amp" on the face.

There's little documentation about this guy except for the owner's manual, and apparently no schematics either.  From what Bob tells me it was a stop-gap model between years, but for me it was a serviceable backline amp, which is what I needed it to become again. 

Apparently I only travel to the Boston area when there's either A) 3 feet of snow; or B) It's near 90 and humid out, so Bob was kind enough to store the amp between my trips.  But the magic that he was able to re-inject into that amp for me is nothing short of astounding.  I've known the history of this particular amp for the last 10+ years, and I can say that it has never sounded this good, ever.

I finally made it home late last night (stupid NY/NJ weekend traffic) and the amp has safely returned to the shop, ready for it's next adventure.  I have a couple friends who are serious players who I'd like to put this amp in front of and surprise the hell out of them.  They played it in its former state with less than enthusiastic reviews, but I have no doubt will be more than happy to play it now.  And it's definitely a great backline piece once again.

Bob, thanks again (Hey, wanna work on an Eden WT800 head??) - good health and safe travels to you as well.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

Brian,
I hope we get to meet some time when we're able to sit and actually drink the beer I gave you. It's my pleasure to help in any way that I can, especially people who are as nice as you. Thank you again for the privilege of working on your amp, and the same goes to everyone who has done the same.

The Eden?? Ahhhhh..... No.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:13:42 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.