ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38385 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »

Nothing like SIX 6L6 power tubes to warm up the place… how does it sound compare to a regular Twin, besides even louder? Those casters don't have much of a chance on a 95lb. amp if you hit a guitar cord on the floor...

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »

Nothing like SIX 6L6 power tubes to warm up the place… how does it sound compare to a regular Twin, besides even louder? Those casters don't have much of a chance on a 95lb. amp if you hit a guitar cord on the floor...

I've only seen one and it was owned by a fellow who had come down from Chicago where the blues bands play LOUD.  He said he was playing with Albert Collins who used a Quad Reverb with 4 JBL D120's.  His Super Twin was loaded with EVM's and probably weighed more than the stock 95 lbs.  NO I didn't like the sound of it but this is WAR so we have to defend our Fender turf! 

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »

Time to call on some friends for reinforcements…

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-super-twin/

don't forget the EVM's
it wont hep any ! my VK-100 has "4" Ruby 6L6 el tuberderos. the speaker cabinet is a B52 4 by 12 ! ha !

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2014, 12:49:51 AM »

I've only seen one and it was owned by a fellow who had come down from Chicago where the blues bands play LOUD.  He said he was playing with Albert Collins who used a Quad Reverb with 4 JBL D120's.  His Super Twin was loaded with EVM's and probably weighed more than the stock 95 lbs.  NO I didn't like the sound of it but this is WAR so we have to defend our Fender turf! 

All those big watt amps were usually Diaz mods. The transformers and circuits were all jacked for output and the problem was although they got loud, to say the least, they all sounded the same, sterile. If you ever get the chance try a quad reverb. 135 watts of clean that will make your ears bleed. Can't use it anywhere though, just too damned loud. And the super twin? Only sold for a year so that tells you most of the story.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »

Sorry to go off topic but: so Geri you won 't be at Silver Star Tuesday??!!! Damn!!!!

Hey, Dave, I'll PM you and explain when I get this bass put back together. I'm replacing a preamp in a Precision and the ol' eyes needed a break, so I made quick jaunt through here and saw this.

More later. Everyone said you guys rocked the house in epic fashion that night.

Geri O

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »

Come on now, somebody buy this!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/4581166252.html

FENDER BASEMAN 1962 AMP W/BOTTOM 6G6-B According to the transformer # dating from Fender's website, This is a late 1961 transformer which means the amp was probably made in mid 1962.
 Tolex and Grills have been replaced. Amp serviced to specs(cap job etc...) with few hours play time. 2-16ohm (each) Celestion Alnico Blues put in new maybe 10 years ago(light use) wired for 8ohms (head is 4ohms) and ran 2-8ohm cabinets in the past. Open back added for sound but original back included with screws. $1350

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:59:31 PM by Dave Scarlett »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »

Come on now, somebody buy this!

I would love to - unfortunately, these things cost money.

This is the model Brian Setzer uses. Just need to add a Roland RE-201 to it. I already have the Gretsch!

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »

Here's an FYI for all of my fans. I have finished restoring pair of Princeton Reverbs, a Pro Reverb I may keep, a Deluxe Reverb, and a Twin Reverb. Two (2) of these amps exhibited motor boating, one a loud crackling sound, and another just blew fuses. Every one of these initial problems was traced to a defective JJ tube. The motor boating was traced to a defective 12AX7, the fuse blowing traced to a defective rectifier (which was new), the crackling traced to crap in an output tube (6V6), all JJ. This is the reason I don't use JJ tubes, and won't use JJ tubes. I have been using EH for their 6V6 which are very musical, lots of chime, very durable. BIAS to about 28ma and check for blocking. For 6L6 I prefer to use Sylvania or RCA (bucks), however, Groove tubes GE-6L6-GT reissue is a wonderful tube. Lots of detail and clarity. BIAS to 38-45ma and use your ear.

I may also sell the Pro, or would swap for a blonde Bassman.

http://www.ehx.com/products/6v6gt

http://wpc.077d.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/groovetubes/pdf/Fender_Groove_Tubes_Price_List_Final.pdf
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:32:00 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »

Here's an FYI for all of my fans. I have finished restoring pair of Princeton Reverbs, a Pro Reverb I may keep, a Deluxe Reverb, and a Twin Reverb. Two (2) of these amps exhibited motor boating, one a load crackling sound, and another just blew fuses. Every one of these initial problems was traced to a defective JJ tube. The motor boating was traced to a defective 12AX7, the fuse blowing traced to a defective rectifier (which was new), the crackling traced to crap in an output tube (6V6), all JJ. This is the reason I don't use JJ tubes, and won't use JJ tubes. I have been using EH for their 6V6 which are very musical, lots of chime, very durable. BIAS to about 28ma and check for blocking. For 6L6 I prefer to use Sylvania or RCA (bucks), however, Groove tubes GE-6L6-GT reissue is a wonderful tube. Lots of detail and clarity. BIAS to 38-45ma and use your ear.

I may also sell the Pro, or would swap for a blonde Bassman.

http://www.ehx.com/products/6v6gt

http://wpc.077d.edgecastcdn.net/00077D/groovetubes/pdf/Fender_Groove_Tubes_Price_List_Final.pdf
i only use Electro Harmonix tubes.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »

I have been having lots of luck with JJ tubes myself. I have 3 amps all loaded with JJ preamp tubes. The JJ's have shown to be well performing for me. This is of course in higher gain, modern amps so perhaps it is a factor?

Motorboating is usually caused by bad, or failing coupling caps and or PS caps. I would suspect given this thread is on vintage amps, that this could be a possibility? It may be that certain tubes are more sensitive to the condition? As for failed rectifier and power tube, perhaps luck of the draw?

There are really only two or three major manufacturers of tubes these days. Most available options are re-branded. EH, Ruby and Groove Tubes are the most popular of the re-brands. Shuguang, Svetlana, New Sensor and JJ are probably the more popular actual tube makers. Interestingly Svetlana tubes are two separate companies! The original one you know of is now owned and made by New Sensor, while the "real " Svetlana  ( aka SED Winged C ) tubes are marketed with the old "winged C " logo here in the states. Many of the others you know are simply " the Big Three " and other makers tubes with another name on it. New Sensor is probably the largest maker these days owning several brands you buy. EH, Tung-Sol, Sovtek, Svetlana, Mullard and Genalex are just a few that New Sensor owns! It seems that each brand of tube is made in a different country or part of it, which is what probably lends to each flavor that they exhibit. JJ tubes are made in Russia with old equipment from the popular Tesla brand that went under. Interestingly New Sensor says that it owns Tesla/JJ tubes, while JJ states that they are the maker of their own tubes. There is a myth surrounding the Tesla and JJ tubes. I believe that JJ is a sole entity and that New Sensor owns the Tesla brand name. They blend the two into one since tools once used by Tesla are probably still in use to make the modern Tesla branded tubes?

These days most companies are ramping up quality in tube production in order to tap into the " market " of the tube that one must have. Simply put, those cheap China made no name tubes may actually be pretty good if purchased and re=branded by a company that puts the heat on for good tubes. The Tube Store and TAD are such examples. They both have a signature series of tubes, all made in China that are of very good quality and performance.

I don't buy into the NOS and vintage tube market thing. Do they sound better? No, they sound different. They were made so many years ago and managed to last this long so it must have been a good tube to begin with. I own a few original RCA, Phillips and Sylvania tubes and I cannot say that they are better than any other tube I have owned. They work fine and sound fine. I have bought many a $12-$14 preamp tubes and they have all worked well. I have used other preamp tubes that are going for $25 or more that don't sound any better. I prefer to buy from an actual maker of tubes if I can, but paying a little more for one that has been performance rated isn't bad either. GT tubes has also served me well. I just don't like the stickers they put on the tubes. I like glowing glass, not billboards......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.